“Looking for a "fika" place?”

Ofvandahls Hovkonditori
Ranked #7 of 8 Dessert in Uppsala
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I've lived in Uppsala for 5 months and Ofvandahls was (and is) my favorite place to have a "fika". It's quiet, warm and cozy. When it comes to the food, I can say that sweets are great but sandwiches and soups also deserve a chance. The prices are really good and you'll have a discount if you are a student.

1  Thank Mushroombrain

Reviewed January 1, 2013

We visited a different cafe every day while in Uppsala and Stockholm during Christmas week and this was my favorite. Yes, the furnishings are shabby and mismatched but I found it charming and inviting. The baked goods were delicious and the rooms were quiet and relaxing...a good place for conversation, unlike some of the others that were very noisy. If I'm lucky enough to revisit Uppsala I'll definitely go back!

Reviewed November 6, 2012

I don't know why people call this place cozy. All I could observe was the dirt on the carpets, the oil stains, the worn-out curtains, the toilet bins overflowing with paper covered in excrement, the wobbly chairs, the dirty sofa, and the flies over the food. The girls behind the counter were unfriendly, even rude I would say. All in all, nothing cozy about it, just a below-average, dirty place, kept old-fashioned on purpose (they save money this way). You should avoid it!

7  Thank jonberbie
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I love coming here. When I lived in Uppsala it was the first place I went if I wanted a cosy coffee or a great piece of cake. It's exactly what the Swedish konditori is meant to be about. Service has always been decent, but it's the quality of the food and the atmosphere that keep me coming back even after I've left Sweden.

1  Thank Ian G
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Slightly anonymous from the outside, the café really has some soul! Several rooms of different size gives the place a more homey feeling, and you can have your private conversation in a corner if you like. Old and worn, yes, but still clean and inviting. The selection of cakes and cookies and other candies would satisfy even the sweetest tooth.