“Lively Italian restaurant with old-university town ambiance”
Review of Trattoria Commedia

Trattoria Commedia
Ranked #111 of 357 Restaurants in Uppsala
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 13, 2011

The restaurant was full on a Friday night with talkative guests, but we had a table in a quiet corner. The food was excellent. The building originated as a pharmacy in the 1800s and the high ceilings and large oil paintings add to the atmosphere.

Reviewed September 17, 2011

I have to agree with the other reviewers below that claim this is probably not an Italian restaurant. It probably isn't. I also agree that the food isn't very good. I can't understand all the ravings about this restaurant, unless the people who like is so much never have been to Italy. I've been here about 4-5 times between 2007 and 2011. My husband like the restaurant .... However, more than once have the first course come straight from the fridge. If you order a small salad with shrimps or a tomato/onion sallad or something like that, it should not be freezing cold. Not acceptable.
The restaurant has several smaller rooms, and is located in an old apartment. I think this is why Uppsalians think it's charming. But the service is not very good, and the place lacks atmosphere.

Reviewed July 15, 2011

As a semi-young Bolivian I find myself waking up praising the most High every day or thereabouts for Charlie M and his devoted staff and their uncompromising work for my sensitive palate & belly as of course for all of Uppsala

sincere recommendations
Bobby Crucial

Reviewed January 26, 2010

...and the only one run by italians. Decent prices, good service and fabulous food. I have been trying the other "italians" in uppsala also, but it has always been disappointing.

1  Thank MrSanSiro
Reviewed September 6, 2009

As an Italian temporarily living in Uppsala, and, unfortunately, as a serious pizza-addict, I needed to look for an Italian place where to have my periodic pizza injection. This time I opted for Trattoria Commedia, after reading the other enthusiastic reviews.

The place is quite nice, even if not authentic at all. I'm almost absolutely sure it is not run by Italians (more below).

Darn! The pizzas menu is something that you will never find in an Italian place: Pizza Pavarotti?! Pizza Primavera?! Pizza alla Fellini?! "Ok", i thought, "names are not so important, especially abroad. At least, there are no spelling mistakes, so frequent at the other places in Uppsala... let's look at the ingredients."

My goodness! What are these loooong lists! Tomato, cheese, garlic, paprika (??!!) mushrooms, gorgonzola, Parma ham, rocket salad?! But where is a simple yet perfect Pizza Margherita?

At last I opted for:
1. A starter: Bresaola, that came with some kind of bruschetta bread.
2. A Pizza Pavarotti.

Bresaola was reasonably good (but way too soft than it should be, meaning that it was not aged, hence veeery cheap), but cheese was not parmigiano as expected. Decent anyway.

Bruschetta bread was horrible, being cooked in some weird (probably animal) fat I could not recognize. Damn! Bruschetta should be cooked with no fat and dressed just with some garlic (optional), raw extra-virgin olive oil and salt. After 12 hours, it was still in my stomach.

Pizza: as usual outside Italy, too much dressing. The dough was typical turkish-style (not Italian) and the too many conflicting ingredients simply destroyed the taste and harmed my stomach. At the end, I could feel only the salt of the ham and an unrecognizable mass going down in my throat! Just to be clear: a salty and heavy pizza is simply NOT a pizza.
I went back home with the heaviest stomach I ever felt and slept horribly.

By judging both the place and, especially, the food, I'm very confident in claiming that this place is not run by Italians, or, if it is indeed (as advertised on the web site) their passport should be immediately seized, since they evidently forgot the most elementary principles of the Italian cuisine.

Can't judge pasta though.
At the end, I'm still looking for a decent pizza in Uppsala... :-(