All reviews contact reception modern hotel natural light by foot corner room nice surprise located close breakfast buffet the hotel staff place to stay uppsala university scrambled eggs patients hospital design beds sink
Selected filters
Reviewed November 7, 2018

Had a great stay at this hotel! Super friendly and great staff, from the ones that keeps the hotel tidy and fit to the reception and dinner personell. All of the personell seem to want every guest to feel "at home", content and happy and everyone showed a smile. Not very common these days ;). A very fresh and tidy hotel.
The superior room we stayed in was very large. A plus is the possibility to have tea/coffee in the room as I am an early bird :). Beds ok, but since I am a big snorer a
adjustable bed would have been a big plus :). The hotel also offered good car parking.

Room tip: Very near to the Hospital Akademiska Sjukhuset.
Date of stay: November 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 1, 2018

I really love my home and dislike hotels, as such I am a demanding traveler. I always contact hotels directly prior to booking, to leave little to chance. Of course, it is hard to remotely assess the "atmosphere" of a hotel. From reading previous reviews, my concerns were that:

— The layout of the hotel (4th floor reception, auto-locking doors, etc.) would be disruptive.
— The staff was minimal and it would be hard to get in touch with someone.
— The sleeping comfort would not be good because of the soft bed.

It turned out these concerns felt unwarranted, either because they have improved since being reviewed, or because I have different expectations. I was visiting for 7 days, for a conference at the university that took place 5 minutes by foot—and my hotel was by far the closest of all participants (closest hotel was probably 15 min away). This alone made it worthwhile.

From a previous reviewer here, I learned that the corner room were desirable. I also knew that they had hardwood floors, which is something that I really enjoy (for hygiene reasons). I called to ask for a room with hardwood, and possibly corner, and got 415. This was a really nice room.

The design was very functional, and I thought comfortable. Comfortable lounge chairs in your room. A beautiful shower (which I unfortunately did not photograph) with both a handheld nozzle and a rainfall-type head, with none of the issues of most hotels: No slow drain, no water all over, no mold or mildew spots. Ecological toilet paper. A nice, clean tower rack (not just a nail on the door). STRONG water pressure. Very good dispensers of hand soap by the sink and shower gel in the shower. Very good aeration, despite long warm showers, the bathroom never steamed up.

One focus I loved about this hotel is the accent on recycling: No toiletries (do you know how many of those end up in the ocean??), only the towels you ask for, etc. The only time it was a bit cumbersome was that their A/C is ecological, and as such at the height of summer it could get a bit warm because of the sun hitting the huge floor to ceiling windows. Nothing cracking the window open would not solve.

The television comes with a nicely accessible HDMI port and USB port. There was a kettle to make tea, and tea bags, and cups. A common pet peeve of mine is that US hotels generally have combo coffee/tea machines that are never washed and taste disgusting (which coffee drinkers don't notice because the taste is so strong). There is a mini fridge that was convenient to store left-overs.

The bed was indeed very soft. I was a bit worried about this because I prefer the firmest bed possible. But it was okay, though perhaps the sheets were a bit warm. I do not like housekeeping in general, so as I usually do, I put up a Do Not Disturb sign on my door on the very first day.

The hotel staff is fantastic, they are discreet and incredibly good at their job. As I was traveling professionally, I wanted my department to pay through an invoice. Because our procedures are changing, this was not a smooth ride. They treated me like a guest with unfortunate administrative problems, rather than someone about to bail on the room.

The breakfast buffet, from 6:30-9:30, is really good. This a real catered breakfast buffet, not just pantry items. There were really good scrambled eggs, soft-boiled eggs, all sorts of yogurts and granola, meats (which I did not taste since I am vegetarian), teas, drinks, and even a very nice Swedish waffle maker complete with berry jam. The staff never tried to clear the buffet early. A couple times I was just under the razor, but they just stood back as I made my choice. This kind of service may be typical of Sweden, but it is very strange by US standards (perhaps because people are more overworked?).

One very nice surprise that I was not aware of: The hotel has two bikes, and they allow you to check them out for periods of 12 hours at a time (and reserve them in advance). Uppsala is a perfect city to navigate on bike, so this is really a welcome amenity.

Finally, I found it very easy to navigate the hotel both during business hours and after. Although I was on the 4th floor, I did not experience getting locked out anywhere in the hotel. When I forgot my key, it was always easy to contact reception to get a new one. (They are staffed 24/7.)

In conclusion, I was really impressed, and would not go anywhere else when returning to Uppsala.

Room tip: Some rooms have hardwood floor. Corner suites are beautiful, large, but a bit warmer.
Date of stay: June 2018
Reviewed June 18, 2018

We were invited to stay in the hotel so the rating I made just based on the experience excluding the price :)). It was a little bit odd to me to go to the 4th floor to check-in and then go down to my room. The interior design is modern and friendly with patients, especial the toilet. Guests can use the laundry room on the 2nd floor for free by using their room card. The staff were friendly, and they expected us to manage things ourselves, it is fine for me but maybe not for somebody who has to pay for the stay. Overall ok!

Date of stay: June 2018
Reviewed May 28, 2018

This is an hotel that is located close to the University of Uppsala, and not that far away from the city center (probably 15 to 20 minutes walking). The staff at the reception are tremendously helpful, professional and yet at the same time calm and accommodating. The hotel is very quiet and the rooms are spacious enough to relax and rest, with a contemporary decoration and a cool feel to it. The hotel requires cards to enter the room corridor and the hotel door which is welcome and provides a sense of safety. The breakfast has plenty of variety - buffet style - and especially the bread is of the highest quality (not many places in Europe where you can eat bread as good as there - perhaps in Portugal). The hotel is also very clean, and the breakfast place which is close to the reception, has relatively comfortable chairs and tables with windows that allow for the natural light to come in, making it a great place to work. In sum, I strongly recommend you to stay at this hotel.

Date of stay: May 2018
Reviewed December 16, 2016

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights. The overall stay was quite nice. The rooms were clean and fancy, the breakfast buffet had a lot of options, the internet was fast in all places of the hotel and the hotel staff was very polite and helpful. The only negative that I have to mention was the distance from the hotel to the city center. It is a walking distance of about 20 minutes - not so far away but not easy to walk with -3 degrees outside and frozen-slippery streets. By taxi is about 10 minutes and the cost is about 15€ (one-way). There is no smoking area in the hotel and if you want to smoke you have to go outside of the main entrance and cross the street. Smoking is only allowed at the other side of the street because on the ground floor of the hotel there is a Clinic with patients.

Date of stay: December 2016