“Very good for a short stay”

Best Western Hotel Svava
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Uppsala
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Stayed in this hotel for a couple of nights.. very friendly staff and comfortable bed, clean bathroom. The room is not very spacious though. The hotel is very close to the central station, just a 2-min walk. You can also easily get buses to Stockholm, for example. Didn't try the breakfast, so can't comment on that. There's a decently maintained sauna too!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed July 26, 2011

Good to stay in that hotel. Just near to railway station. I felt good environment with friendly staff, spacious bathroom. English spoken fluently throughout. The staff are friendly and happy to be of service. Rooms small compared to US, but best beds and excellent location. The location of the hotel was close to everything including a mall with lots of restraurants and a supermarket. I would love to be in this hotel again. I can recommend people to choose this hotel for their holiday.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank archanalu
Reviewed June 4, 2011

This is a cute hotel in a very nice location. The train station is across the street, and the hotel is just a very short walk to downtown Uppsala. The staff was helpful and the hotel is cute, but what a surprise when you get to your room. It's about he size of a shoebox!!!! Okay, may be a bit bigger, but gosh it's small. It has everything you need: twin bed, desk, chair, closet, bathroom, but it's just not a comfortable place to stay for a long period of time. Fortunately, I was out the large majority of the day and evening so I really only used the room for sleeping. If you're uncomfortable with small spaces I would NOT recommend this hotel. I don't know if they have larger room, but I was there with colleagues and we all complained about the room size.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 8, 2010

I stayed for almost a week in the hotel. The room was fairly small but comfortable, the employees were very polite and helpful. Probably the best part of the hotel is location: very central, just across the train station, and easy to go shopping or touring around.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank zentree
Reviewed August 5, 2010

According to booking.com this hotel is a 4 star establishment. No way. I stayed in literally hundreds of 2 star places which were nice (and friendlier). If it would be a 2 star priced 60 EUR, I would not complain but when you pay almost 3 times that and expect some comfort, you are definitely frustrated.

The room is small, toilet basin contains stains of smth black (someone lit a fire there?), everything looks old and not well maintained. Even the sign of the hotel was smashed.

Service was variable. Sometimes friendly, sometimes just plain unprofessional. A couple of examples: I assumed I can get my stuff washed (as they had washing bag in our room and mention of overnight washing) but when I addressed brought the laundry to them, I was told that the laundry man is on vacations and they cannot help me (namely, they told me that it is gonna be ready in 2 days or maybe more). Also, they were not even able to point a laundry (any) which can do it. Since it was a day before departure (to some hiking trip in Norway), we ended up washing it in the sink and flying with our things still wet. Another example: we had to mail smth and asked for directions to a post office. The staff member told that there is no (!) post office in Uppsala, and that's not the way they send post in Sweden (supposedly it can be only picked up). That was, of course, was not accurate (censored), as we found a post office ourselves. In both cases, it was not even polite.

The breakfast was plentful, but I did find the food good. Maybe it was not just for my taste though.

Location is convenient for the train station but otherwise not very nice.

I do not see any reason why you should consider staying in this hotel unless it is priced at 1-2 star hotel prices.

Disclaimer: I haven't been staying in any other hotels in Sweden (and not much in Scandinavia, overall). I know that it is more expensive there but I expected the standards to be high (at least as high as in central western Europe - Germany, France,...).

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Ivt
Reviewed September 15, 2009

As the other reviewers have said, the hotel is centrally located to everything. It is very nicely appointed, the breakfast buffet (included) is superb, the dinner buffet (included) is quite good (its meant for more of a "topping off" than a full meal), the room spotless, and although small compared to US Best Westerns, was more than adequate for my daughter and me, and our multiple luggage + many IKEA bags (she moved there for graduate school). The staff was very accommodating, allowing us to extend our stay day by day until my daughter's dorm room was furnished. They also assisted us with several phone inquiries, maps, and suggestions. I agree that I would have preferred to open a window at night --we had a room window overlooking the courtyard--but it was a very small annoyance. When my husband I come back to visit her, we will stay here.

• Stayed: August 2009
1  Thank Meridoc
Reviewed August 20, 2009

We stayed at the Hotel Svava for nearly a week. Our room was large (by European standards) and did not face the inside courtyard, so we did not have the problems opening windows that the previous reviewer mentioned. The rate we paid for the hotel was incredibly reasonable, especially for Scandinavia in August.

The complimentary breakfast was excellent and served until 9:30 (10:30 on the weekend). The free wifi was also great (although you have to get a new password every day). Also, the front desk staff was friendly and helpful with a number of questions that I asked.

Finally, this hotel is right across the street from the main entrance of the train station and within easy walking distance of everything in the center of Uppsala. There is also a coffee shop right across the street.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business