“Very average, over rated!”
Review of Akademihotellet

Akademihotellet
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Uppsala
Reviewed August 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Akademihotellet before, when visiting family and friends in Uppsala, we found it (a double room) average but it was at a good location, so we chose to return there again in our recent trip in August. I booked it one month in advance through booking.com, which the only rooms available were Economy Twin rooms, thinking it would be at a similar standard as the double room we stayed before, so we booked it.

I can be very picky about their dated decoration, not very friendly reception, noisy roads... but I know this is not a five star hotel so I would keep my judgement practical. But there's one thing that really made me furious:-

On our arrival, I was shocked to discover that a "Twin" room actually meant a normal single bed, plus a made up SOFA BED. The entire fitting in the room was only suitable for single occupancy, they even only left one hanger, one dressing gown and one pair of slippers!

Seriously, the sofa bed was very old, short and narrow, which means that an average built man would never be able to fit! Still not quite able to believe booking a hotel ending up on a sofa, I was lying there on the sofa bed with a sore back couldn't really move, I was thinking maybe I could have got myself a nicer sofa to crash on from crouch-surfing.com!

I know this hotel is part of the university, but it doesn't mean that it should treat their guests like a student. If this is being advertised as what it says in the tin (i.e. hostal?!), I would have given it a bit more credit.

The hotel was being very cheeky for advertising it as a TWIN bed room, when obviously they just want to make more money by forcing their guests to compromise, maybe they do not want returning customers, well I think by doing so they've done an outstanding job!

Room Tip: Avoid the Ecomomy Twin rooms, unless you actually like sleep on an old manky sofa bed!
2  Thank chez_uk

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Definitely recommended.

Comfortable room (despite traffic noise), friendly helpful reception, great location. Although there was neither fridge nor kettle in our room, there was a fridge available along the corridor and 24-hour coffee and biscuits in the breakfast room.

Walking distance from most of the interesting places, eg cathedral, museums, riverside, etc.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the road - quieter and a great view.
1  Thank Havebuspasswiltravel
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I stayed at the Akademihotellet for a conference recently and was pleased with my experience. My room had a couch as well as two twin beds and was very clean. The hotel was full, but very quiet. Breakfast was included in the price and offered a variety of options. I stayed 3 nights and the price came out to around 80 SEK/ £80 per night, which seems reasonable given the cost of living in Sweden.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We stayed here one night as a stop over when driving back to North.
We couldn't find any reasonable priced hotel in Uppsala or near by so we ended up here.
We payed 87 euros and I found it a bit expensive as the hotel is a bit worn out.

The place itself is very central and remember to ask for a room towards the inner yard (not towards the street as it can be noisy and the room is rather hot without no air conditioning).

We arrived late and as the reception closes at 22 hours, they send us the door code and instructions by email in advance.

You can park you car free of charge with the parking permit in the inner yard but there is a limited amount of places. So you may have problems to find a longer parking place if the hotel's parking place is full.

The Akademiehotellet seems to be made for the visiting students and doctors of the Uppsala university and the atmosphere is a bit "academic" with silent atmosphere and book cases in each floor. Which is actually good, as we did enjoy the silence to sleep :)

WLAN is included in the price ans worked out really well.

The room is okay in its size, also the bed linens and towels were very good. There was hand soap and shower gel ready. The room and especially the bath room (shower!) should be cleaned definitely better. Now it was a bit dusty in the room and especially the shower and it's walls were in looking like they could really need so washing liquid and a brush!

The service was very friendly and the breakfast was good. Not a business hotel type of luxurious breakfast but very good.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room towards the back/inner yard, not towards the street!
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Rooms are not huge but functional with privative bathrooms. Breakfast is absolutely varied and ok! Staff very kind and cooperative, gave us useful advise. Located in Uppsala city centre. Suggested for couples visiting the city

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Stayed here with family (2 adults and a 3 year old) and we were very satisfied. This is not a luxury hotel, but very clean and nice. The location is in very nice area, quiet but also close to everything. Breakfast was good, staff was nice. Would stay here again.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We spent two nights here and it was the perfect homebase for our trip with our infant. The staff was exceedingly kind and friendly. Breakfast was delicious, simple and plentiful. No complaints regarding our well apppointed room and noise, though it may have been a period of lull at the university. Great walking town, not so great for strollers because of the cobbles. All the Swedish mothers pushed prams that had huge all terrain wheels! So take your baby carrier. They also have laundry facilities which is great with kids.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family