“I will stay there again”
Review of Akademihotellet

Akademihotellet
Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Uppsala
Porto, Porto, Portugal
“I will stay there again”
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I stayed in a double room with my wife when I went to Uppsala for a conference, The staff was very polite (as was all Swedish people). the room was very neat and clean. The breakfast was more than enough. Its close location to the cathedral, city center and the university makes it a good destination. Also the free coffee, cookies, fruits etc make you feel like you're at home. It was an easy stay and I will definitely choose them if I go to Uppsala again.

Room Tip: Our room was facing the street but there was not too much noise from the street. There are other roo...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Can H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Greek first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 18, 2012 via mobile

I liked everything about this hotel. It's located in a peaceful park like setting, near the cathedral and university, yet more action is a short walk down the hill to Storatorget. My single room overlooking the cathedral (ask for a room in the back) was quite spacious with good storage (I'm a great fan of hooks, and there were plenty, plus a good sized closet). The breakfast buffet was above average compared to other hotels I've stayed in in Sweden. All in all a good experience and good value for money.

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I stayed in a double-room, first by myself, then as part of a couple. The room was smaller than I had expected, and the bathroom was tiny, but everything was clean and fresh. Definitely nothing luxurious, but perfectly sufficient for my purposes. The breakfast was somewhat limited but satisfactory, the wifi was fast, the key card system worked well when the reception was closed (22-07). I could easily hear events in the hallway, but was never disturbed by the neighboring rooms - not sure if the sound proofing is better there, or if I just had good luck with neighbors. It's reasonably priced for Sweden, particularly for such a convenient location - it's a 7-minute walk from Stora Torget and 15 minutes from the central train station.

Room Tip: My room was on the cathedral side, with no traffic disturbances.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Trondheim, Norway
Reviewed May 10, 2012

I've stayed at Akademihotellet twice, and I have been very happy with the results. The single rooms are excellent, the staff is pleasant and there is free coffee and internet. Having some of my favorite candy in the reception is a plus!

As for the location, it was perfect for my needs; next to the city center, and not that far from the university. I do wish they had a map with the university areas drawn in; I suspect I wasn't the only academic visitor.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
St. Malo, France
Reviewed March 14, 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights, and found this to be a supremely nice and quiet hotel. The room on the third floor faced the east, looking down to the cathedral, so I was away from traffic. It was the quietest room I have ever experienced, although I suspect that the other side, facing traffic, might have been a bit noisy in the morning, judging from the noise in the breakfast room. Size: a little small, but everything in there what I would have needed. Comfortable, though narrow bed, nice shower and bathroom, privacy, wifi worked mostly well, and the hotel is ideally located close to the university. Old radio, but modern flat TV (not many stations). Breakfast was very nice, with all kinds of cold cuts, boiled eggs, caviar spread, fruit, cereal, a little cheese (could be better), fresh veggies, a variety of breads, crackers, fruit, oj, apple juice, coffee (did not try it). I spent a lot of time in my room doing work, and I was completely undisturbed. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Choose only rooms facing east, or the backyard. There is no elevator, so you will have to carry your...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank aclassen
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed February 8, 2012

I highly recommend this hotel if you are looking for a very simple, comfortable and convenient option while in Uppsala. My husband was visiting the University for 10 days and it was perfectly located- close to a bus stop and walking distance to town center. My senior aged parents also visited and they were very comfortable (although, note that there is no elevator so one may be better off on the second floor). True- you do not get any luxurious soaps and lotions or bathrobes and the bathrooms are not large, new or modern, and if that is the type of accommodation you seek, this is for NOT for you. However, the friendly atmosphere; the charming dining area with still and sparkling water dispenser, coffee machine, cookies, and wifi with ample space to chat or get some work done; the washing machine free of charge; the kitchen on each floor; and generous breakfast more than make up for any lack of 'luxury'. I stayed in a room on the street side during a warm August 2011 so the noise was bothersome for me, a light sleeper, only when the windows were open. However, the bed was very comfortable for us. It seems that some rooms are larger than others so if this is an issue, you may want to ask. Also, my parents stayed in the Apartment suite for a few nights and it was fantastic! Full private kitchen with view to the church, incredibly spacious- the bathroom alone was huge. The kitchen really helps with food costs if you have a long stay because restaurant prices in Sweden are very high. We loved our choice and hope to return!

Room Tip: Rooms facing street will be noisy but only if you keep your windows open and this should only be an...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed December 16, 2011

For tourists or anyone visiting the university, this is the best location in Uppsala. The spires of the cathedral loom right outside your window (if you are fortunate enough to be on the side away from the street), the University House is about a one-minute walk, the rest of the main buildings no more than 15 minutes away, three minutes to the castle, and ten minutes to the heart of downtown. Rooms on the north side also overlook the smaller but vrey picturesque Holy Trinity church. The rooms are smartly finished, and if you like the Ikea style you'll feel right at home. Very clean. Very Swedish. For a longer stay, they have one small apartment ("suite"?) with a real kitchen, but there's also a shared kitchen down the hallway for the regular rooms. Of course breakfast is included for the regular rooms. The only downside we've noted is that a room on the side facing the street can be a bit noisy, particularly in the summer when one likes leaving the windows open - the cost of being centrally located I guess. Unless we're in a flat for a visit of a couple of weeks or longer, we stay here.

Room Tip: Side away from street is better
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business