“Nice centrally located hotel, but some rooms are noisy”

Elite Stora Hotellet
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Linkoping
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I was in Linköping on a few weeks' business trip and stayed at Elithotellet for the 4th time. Elithotellet is a nice quality hotel and has a very central location. The beds are comfortable, the hotel restaurant is high-class, breakfast is good and the staff is nice.

However, there were a few issues that left room for improvement. First of all, when you book a room, see to that your room is not facing the market square. It was impossible to sleep in the night, because the bars have opened their terraces and people are drinking and shouting until 4 am (also during weekdays).

Secondly, the hotel gym only consists of a cross trainer, spinning cycle and a treadmill, and the spinning cycle is not working (you can't add resistance). It would be nice if the gym would also have a yoga mat and a few weights, this would allow a more comprehensive workout. So if you find workout important, I would advice you to choose another hotel.

Room Tip: When you book a room, see to that your room is not facing the market square. It was impossible to sl...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed April 10, 2013

A most enjoyable stay in a magnificent building. Apparently I was lucky with my room (no. 139), which I found both quiet and comfortable. My only problem was logging into the hotel's WiFi. My iPad wouldn't or couldn't recognise it, and the reception staff showed infinite patience in sorting things out for me. Eventually the problem righted itself, in some mysterious way.

It should be made clear, I think, that, although under the same roof, the hotel and its restaurant are two separate concerns. In the restaurant I went for fish & chips, hilariously translated on the outside bill of fare as "hamburger with bacon": I shared a chuckle over that one with the manageress, but not with the waiter, who, though still in his twenties, was a real old sobersides. He turned up trumps, though, in another respect. My fish was very good, but took some finding, because there was so little of it. I complained, and the waiter brought me an extra helping on the house! Something I didn't complain about, because I only spotted it next day, was their charging me SEK 26 for a carafe of perfectly ordinary tap water. On a more laudatory note, the people in the kitchen know how to do chips - instead of the soggy mess you often get lumbered with, mine were absolutely perfect. But the menu's over-priced, in my opinion.

Breakfast, on the other hand, goes with the room, is served two floors up in the hotel proper, and is quite splendid. The L-shaped buffet is replete with goodies, and through the windows you have a fine view of the square and the cathedral. (To be honest, this building and 3/4 of the square are more intresting, architecturally, than the cathedral, which was brutally restored and enlarged in the late 19th century.)

Room Tip: I had room 139, a single, in what must be a very quiet part of the hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 8, 2013

A convenient hotel for both business and holiday travellers in the centre of Linköping. A had a single room that was very small and looked a little outdated. The hotel offers nearby parking at an additional but acceptable cost and is close to local pubs and restaurants. Extensive breakfast on offer and polite and friendly service at the reception desk.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank marcjmichels
Reviewed March 14, 2013

When checking in around nine in the evening yesterday I got room 131. I had to walk around quite a lot to locate that room since the room numbering is far from intuitive, but I got there after having walked up and down a couple of stairs. The room was nothing fancy; still it seemed quite ok until I heard noises from the bathroom. My guess that these noises came from the plumbing. It came from the wall where the pipes for the shower were located. The noise came, went away and came back again. I decided to walk down to the reception and ask for a new room since I felt that I world have difficulties sleeping in the room due to the noises. Down at the reception they first said that the hotel had no free room, but after 30 minutes or so I got a new key and pack my stuff and went in search of my new room. When I unlocked the door to the new room I realized that it was not empty. There was a gentleman in there trying to get some sleep. He was quite upset, understandably so. I once again went down to the reception where the searched for yet another room for me. They found me a quite strange basement-like room with a small window placed high up on the wall, some strange stares in the middle of the room and no TV. On the positive side was that it was quite, I was the only guest in it, the bet was nice and the staff did all that they possibly could (they found the situation very embarrassing). The room number for this room was 123 I think.

I had a good night’s sleep after that. In the morning I found no hairdryer in the room, but I managed without it. The breakfast was nice.

This is a hotel that is not maintained well enough it seems. And there seems to be some serious issues with the booking systems since they do not manage to keep track of what rooms are free.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I've there for work, a couople of days in February.
The hotel is nice and well located just in the main squae of the city.
It is a good mix of old and new style but my room was really a small one: just a bed, tv and a table plus a small bathroom.
Great breakfast with a lot of different possibilities (from salmon to pancakes).

I don't know if it worth the price, but anyhow it is a good hotel.

Wi-fi free in any room and sauna available in the afternoon.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

This is an old traditional building in the centre of town, the rooms are very smartly decorated. The hotel is right in the centre of town, close to lots of options for dinner in the evening. It is a short 10 min walk to the train station.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed November 25, 2012

The hotel's location was absolutely fantastic and although the centre is awkward for driving around, taxis can drop you right at the front, so no problems there. Really convenient for attractions etc too.

The hotel itself is large and old. The floors are oddly laid out and the building felt creaky. The plumbing felt old with a creaky bath and leaky basin in my room, and the wardrobe had that "old" smell (but it wasn't dirty). Nevertheless, the cleanliness was good and the details were all there as you'd expect in a 4* hotel (kettle and supplies in room, coffee machine in lobby, decent amount of furniture in room, free fast reliable wifi, even bath salts!). My bed was so comfortable I didn't want to leave my room!

The staff and service were faultless and the breakfast was very relaxed and well supplied; they were excellent at providing me with soya or oat milk and showing me ingredients lists for the breads - I usually struggle with this as a vegan, so that really meant a lot.

If you love crisp modern hotels, then this probably isn't for you, as it does have that old feel and that lets it down slightly, but if you don't mind that, it's a good place to stay and I would probably use it again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo