“It could be perfect”
Review of Kamalaya Koh Samui

Kamalaya Koh Samui
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Laem Set
Reviewed March 5, 2010

Kamalaya is a great place to relax, workout and pamper your body and mind.

WHAT'S GREAT:
* food and drinks (amazing, very fresh, yummy) 99% of the menu is ultra-healthy and the curries are AMAZING. All the fruits/veggie cocktails are tasty.
* The property is beautiful and very well kept up. [As mentioned by other travellers, Kamalaya is on a steep hill that you cannot avoid, I didn't mind it but you need to be aware]
* the fitness classes (from personal training to yoga, pilates or a one-hour boot camp session on the beach) I LOVED IT ALL - the teachers are all great honestly.
* the SPA treatments: massages (prefered one by far is the Thai Massage), body scrub & wrap, manicure, pedicure... were FAB! the ladies at the Spa are delightful and very dedicated to their customers wellbeing.

WHAT'S NOT
Considering the amount of money I spent on this 10 day fitness retreat, I expected it to be perfect. It was great but far from meeting my expectations. I travel a lot and more often than not, I am very pleasantly surprised. Unfortunately, this was not one of those times.
* Although the personnel is very sweet, their level of English is appalling. It enduces many misunderstandings and unpleasant annoyances... I will spare you the details.. but grrr
* The room i was in was cute but for that price.. I was a bit surprised. (I had a suite) it's location was great though... the A/C is a real problem. I had no remote control so had to get up to adjust it and it's the loudest A/C i have EVER come across. not good (and it's too hot to avoid using it)
* you can change treatments in your package but at a cost (20%!).
* very pricey (especially for Thailand) but I knew that before I went so fine.

Overall, I would recommend Kamalaya as I did come home happy, rested and fit. Would I go back?... I might! or I'll try Chiva Som instead which I hear might be slightly better (not cheaper though!)

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
5  Thank L_Dana

Reviewed February 12, 2010

a relaxing vacation.Fabulous spa treatments,healthy food and a variety of activities make for a super holiday

Stayed: March 2007
1  Thank diva3066
Reviewed February 6, 2010

We just got back from our second visit from Kamalya and we loved it just as much as the first time 6 months ago. We brought a friend this time and she loved it too. Having been a couple of times, I can say whole-heartedly that we would recommend this place, with the caveat that you do a bit of research (ie read the reviews) to make sure it is YOUR kind of place. Here is what I mean.
- In my opinion this is absolutely NOT a place for kids. Period. If you have kids, don’t go to Kamalaya.
- This is NOT a place for people dying to be in the ocean. It has a small beach with lovely sand, and nice chairs etc, but (as is said on their website and in many trip advisor reviews), it sits on a tidal cove that when the tide is out, there is no water. That being said, the first time we went, low tide was mid-day so we could not swim at all. This time when we were there, high tide was mid day, so in the morning and until mid day we could swim. Water was only 4 or 5 feet at best, but certainly swimmable. If swimming in the ocean is important to you, then check the tide tables before going.
- Is it pricey … yes. I don’t disagree with people commenting on its price, however I question how much research people did before hand. All of their prices are available. Prices for a lot of the treatments are indeed NYC or London or HK prices. Right or wrong, that’s what they are. I must say though, that we have loved all the treatments, and I probably got the best massage of my life from Saimy (107 point Indian massage).
- We now have stayed in the villas and in the 2-room beach-front villa with its own pool. We loved both of them. If you are looking for cheaper, they do have hotel room type places towards the back. They looked nice enough and probably more reasonable.
- We thought the food was fantastic (except for the coconut sorbet … great idea but awful taste). All meals offered a cornucopia of selections, every one of them tasty. I commented to one chef that after our first trip, I had attempted to make a dish that they served, but with no luck. Without batting an eye he (Ki) invited me back to the kitchen to prepare that very dish. How is that for service!
- We got the meal plan for about US$110 per day. I didn’t think this was too unreasonable for a resort and for the quality of the food. Their juice menu alone had 20 to 30 different types to try. We had fun trying a lot of them.
- This place is meant to be a relaxing, calming place. If you are looking for night life or an active bar, then don’t go to Kamalaya.
- Both times we went, we hired a private yoga instructor to help take our “practices” to the next level. To say we are beginner yoga people is an understatement, but have always found their classes and instructors to be great. Maybe now we are advanced beginners.
- We had the same naturopath both times we were there. Samantha (?) could not have been nicer and literally did not try to force us to buy any treatments whatsoever. She listened to our goals for the visit and made suggestions on classes that might make sense (note: free classes that were offered to all pple).
- Management: Our experience has been nothing but positive. We have dealt mostly with Christian and Clive both of whom were very helpful with different aspects to our stay.
- Lastly is the hill. Please read carefully. This place is on the side of a HILL. For a short period (maybe 50 to 75 feet) it is a STEEP hill. I am sure they would send the buggy for you to get from a lower, beach level villa to the top where the restaurant is, but just know that it is a hill. Is it walkable? Without a doubt. If you can’t do hills and you don’t want to depend on a buggy, then think hard about this place.
The first time we stayed, we stayed for 5 nights. We felt completely at peace, de-toxed, stretched and relaxed. This time we were there for only3 full days, and felt like it wasn’t quite enough to get the full Kamalaya feel. I hope this is helpful b/c I think it is a wonderful place for those people looking for or needing such a place as is Kamalaya. They will certainly see us again.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank nylonkong
Reviewed February 5, 2010

It appears a good idea to have a wellness center on an island like Samui, but Kamalaya is not enough. We expected to go to a friendly and welcoming place with a good spa scene and a chilled out culture but the staff came across as arrogant and superior and not very friendly. They seemed to want to make money than take care of the guests which is not what we expected. And the prices were very high. Also the location is very bad for families and young children. Perhaps an OK place for rich excutives who do not look for a family atmosphere and a personal touch.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
10  Thank happyank
Reviewed December 25, 2009

Definitely, best holistic spa, best cuisine, most sophisticated treatment programs, most comfortable rooms, most peaceful location and friendliest staff. Trust me, I’ve experienced hundreds of spa all over the world.
The only drawback – it is not the place for those who are looking for intensive nightlife and the most beautiful beach.
Anyway, I came there not for endless parties, but to restore my body and mind. I loved the verities of activities (free of charge) and treatments, which I combined with delicious healthy food.
Unfortunately, I had only 4 days to spend in Kamalaya (although it was enough to recharge my batteries), but I definitely will come back and most probably choose one of their long programs.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank 7langit
An Agoda Traveler
Reviewed December 7, 2009

• Stayed: December 2009
Reviewed September 26, 2009

I agree with the gushing comments about how excellent the service at Kamalaya is but I have to say that I found it on the expensive side. Massages cost what they would in New York City and I found that the staff kept pushing "treatments" on me. One of the naturapaths in particular, Joanne, became nasty when I refused to be pushed into signing up for a 5-day package which would have added $1300 to my accommodation!
The food is good but also pricy, as are juices made with local fruits.
Kamalaya emphasise the idea of finding sprituality and finding yourself and they certainly find your wallet in doing so! Having grown up in a spritual milieu, I was a bit miffed at the way in which sprituality and even religion was so blatantly marketed.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort
Centara Villas Samui
Centara Villas Samui
#11 of 63 in Maret

Been to Kamalaya Koh Samui? Share your experiences!