We just got back from our second visit from Kamalya and we loved it just as much as the first time 6 months ago. We brought a friend this time and she loved it too. Having been a couple of times, I can say whole-heartedly that we would recommend this place, with the caveat that you do a bit of research (ie read the reviews) to make sure it is YOUR kind of place. Here is what I mean.
- In my opinion this is absolutely NOT a place for kids. Period. If you have kids, don’t go to Kamalaya.
- This is NOT a place for people dying to be in the ocean. It has a small beach with lovely sand, and nice chairs etc, but (as is said on their website and in many trip advisor reviews), it sits on a tidal cove that when the tide is out, there is no water. That being said, the first time we went, low tide was mid-day so we could not swim at all. This time when we were there, high tide was mid day, so in the morning and until mid day we could swim. Water was only 4 or 5 feet at best, but certainly swimmable. If swimming in the ocean is important to you, then check the tide tables before going.
- Is it pricey … yes. I don’t disagree with people commenting on its price, however I question how much research people did before hand. All of their prices are available. Prices for a lot of the treatments are indeed NYC or London or HK prices. Right or wrong, that’s what they are. I must say though, that we have loved all the treatments, and I probably got the best massage of my life from Saimy (107 point Indian massage).
- We now have stayed in the villas and in the 2-room beach-front villa with its own pool. We loved both of them. If you are looking for cheaper, they do have hotel room type places towards the back. They looked nice enough and probably more reasonable.
- We thought the food was fantastic (except for the coconut sorbet … great idea but awful taste). All meals offered a cornucopia of selections, every one of them tasty. I commented to one chef that after our first trip, I had attempted to make a dish that they served, but with no luck. Without batting an eye he (Ki) invited me back to the kitchen to prepare that very dish. How is that for service!
- We got the meal plan for about US$110 per day. I didn’t think this was too unreasonable for a resort and for the quality of the food. Their juice menu alone had 20 to 30 different types to try. We had fun trying a lot of them.
- This place is meant to be a relaxing, calming place. If you are looking for night life or an active bar, then don’t go to Kamalaya.
- Both times we went, we hired a private yoga instructor to help take our “practices” to the next level. To say we are beginner yoga people is an understatement, but have always found their classes and instructors to be great. Maybe now we are advanced beginners.
- We had the same naturopath both times we were there. Samantha (?) could not have been nicer and literally did not try to force us to buy any treatments whatsoever. She listened to our goals for the visit and made suggestions on classes that might make sense (note: free classes that were offered to all pple).
- Management: Our experience has been nothing but positive. We have dealt mostly with Christian and Clive both of whom were very helpful with different aspects to our stay.
- Lastly is the hill. Please read carefully. This place is on the side of a HILL. For a short period (maybe 50 to 75 feet) it is a STEEP hill. I am sure they would send the buggy for you to get from a lower, beach level villa to the top where the restaurant is, but just know that it is a hill. Is it walkable? Without a doubt. If you can’t do hills and you don’t want to depend on a buggy, then think hard about this place.
The first time we stayed, we stayed for 5 nights. We felt completely at peace, de-toxed, stretched and relaxed. This time we were there for only3 full days, and felt like it wasn’t quite enough to get the full Kamalaya feel. I hope this is helpful b/c I think it is a wonderful place for those people looking for or needing such a place as is Kamalaya. They will certainly see us again.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Prestigia, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Kamalaya Koh Samui reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kamalaya Koh Samui Hotel Laem Set
- Kamalaya Hotel Koh Samui
- Kamalaya Spa Koh Samui
- Kamalaya Koh Samui Ko Samui, Thailand