“Second time visit - still loved it”
Review of Kamalaya Koh Samui

Kamalaya Koh Samui
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Laem Set
Reviewed February 6, 2010

We just got back from our second visit from Kamalya and we loved it just as much as the first time 6 months ago. We brought a friend this time and she loved it too. Having been a couple of times, I can say whole-heartedly that we would recommend this place, with the caveat that you do a bit of research (ie read the reviews) to make sure it is YOUR kind of place. Here is what I mean.
- In my opinion this is absolutely NOT a place for kids. Period. If you have kids, don’t go to Kamalaya.
- This is NOT a place for people dying to be in the ocean. It has a small beach with lovely sand, and nice chairs etc, but (as is said on their website and in many trip advisor reviews), it sits on a tidal cove that when the tide is out, there is no water. That being said, the first time we went, low tide was mid-day so we could not swim at all. This time when we were there, high tide was mid day, so in the morning and until mid day we could swim. Water was only 4 or 5 feet at best, but certainly swimmable. If swimming in the ocean is important to you, then check the tide tables before going.
- Is it pricey … yes. I don’t disagree with people commenting on its price, however I question how much research people did before hand. All of their prices are available. Prices for a lot of the treatments are indeed NYC or London or HK prices. Right or wrong, that’s what they are. I must say though, that we have loved all the treatments, and I probably got the best massage of my life from Saimy (107 point Indian massage).
- We now have stayed in the villas and in the 2-room beach-front villa with its own pool. We loved both of them. If you are looking for cheaper, they do have hotel room type places towards the back. They looked nice enough and probably more reasonable.
- We thought the food was fantastic (except for the coconut sorbet … great idea but awful taste). All meals offered a cornucopia of selections, every one of them tasty. I commented to one chef that after our first trip, I had attempted to make a dish that they served, but with no luck. Without batting an eye he (Ki) invited me back to the kitchen to prepare that very dish. How is that for service!
- We got the meal plan for about US$110 per day. I didn’t think this was too unreasonable for a resort and for the quality of the food. Their juice menu alone had 20 to 30 different types to try. We had fun trying a lot of them.
- This place is meant to be a relaxing, calming place. If you are looking for night life or an active bar, then don’t go to Kamalaya.
- Both times we went, we hired a private yoga instructor to help take our “practices” to the next level. To say we are beginner yoga people is an understatement, but have always found their classes and instructors to be great. Maybe now we are advanced beginners.
- We had the same naturopath both times we were there. Samantha (?) could not have been nicer and literally did not try to force us to buy any treatments whatsoever. She listened to our goals for the visit and made suggestions on classes that might make sense (note: free classes that were offered to all pple).
- Management: Our experience has been nothing but positive. We have dealt mostly with Christian and Clive both of whom were very helpful with different aspects to our stay.
- Lastly is the hill. Please read carefully. This place is on the side of a HILL. For a short period (maybe 50 to 75 feet) it is a STEEP hill. I am sure they would send the buggy for you to get from a lower, beach level villa to the top where the restaurant is, but just know that it is a hill. Is it walkable? Without a doubt. If you can’t do hills and you don’t want to depend on a buggy, then think hard about this place.
The first time we stayed, we stayed for 5 nights. We felt completely at peace, de-toxed, stretched and relaxed. This time we were there for only3 full days, and felt like it wasn’t quite enough to get the full Kamalaya feel. I hope this is helpful b/c I think it is a wonderful place for those people looking for or needing such a place as is Kamalaya. They will certainly see us again.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank nylonkong

Reviewed February 5, 2010

It appears a good idea to have a wellness center on an island like Samui, but Kamalaya is not enough. We expected to go to a friendly and welcoming place with a good spa scene and a chilled out culture but the staff came across as arrogant and superior and not very friendly. They seemed to want to make money than take care of the guests which is not what we expected. And the prices were very high. Also the location is very bad for families and young children. Perhaps an OK place for rich excutives who do not look for a family atmosphere and a personal touch.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
10  Thank happyank
Reviewed December 25, 2009

Definitely, best holistic spa, best cuisine, most sophisticated treatment programs, most comfortable rooms, most peaceful location and friendliest staff. Trust me, I’ve experienced hundreds of spa all over the world.
The only drawback – it is not the place for those who are looking for intensive nightlife and the most beautiful beach.
Anyway, I came there not for endless parties, but to restore my body and mind. I loved the verities of activities (free of charge) and treatments, which I combined with delicious healthy food.
Unfortunately, I had only 4 days to spend in Kamalaya (although it was enough to recharge my batteries), but I definitely will come back and most probably choose one of their long programs.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank 7langit
An Agoda Traveler
Reviewed December 7, 2009

• Stayed: December 2009
Reviewed September 26, 2009

I agree with the gushing comments about how excellent the service at Kamalaya is but I have to say that I found it on the expensive side. Massages cost what they would in New York City and I found that the staff kept pushing "treatments" on me. One of the naturapaths in particular, Joanne, became nasty when I refused to be pushed into signing up for a 5-day package which would have added $1300 to my accommodation!
The food is good but also pricy, as are juices made with local fruits.
Kamalaya emphasise the idea of finding sprituality and finding yourself and they certainly find your wallet in doing so! Having grown up in a spritual milieu, I was a bit miffed at the way in which sprituality and even religion was so blatantly marketed.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
6  Thank bluemercury
Reviewed September 15, 2009

I went to Kamalaya with an open mind and a will to heal myself and even after 24 hours i was already feeling stronger and more positive. Now that i am back in the real world i feel like i'm on a mission to better myself and live a healthy positive life.

The service at Kamalaya was exceptional, from the moment i was picked up at the airport to the moment i was dropped off i was made to feel like i was the only person on the planet that mattered. It was so refreshing to have people running around after me because normally it is me doing all the running!! The food, the scenery, the rooms, the treatments, the classes, the staff... Everything was truly amazing!!

I booked through Essential Esacpes - a very professional and accommodating company. From the moment i contacted them until even the day after i got back, they were excellent, and really listened to my needs and requirements for my break. I would definitely book through them again!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank TravellingHappy_30
Reviewed September 13, 2009

After a lot of research, we booked a 7-night Asian Bliss Package in a sea-view villa with Kamalaya. We wanted a place we could i) disconnect and rest, ii) do some yoga, iii) be pampered and iv) eat some healthy food. After our 7-night stay, we are more than pleased with our choice.

First, although in Koh-Samui, the resort is set on a calm side of the island. The resort itself has a beach although we never swam there as the tide was too low. But the hotel/spa is beautifully set on a hill with great view on the beach and the dense vegetation around (jungle type of vegetation). We felt like "lost in the jungle" kind of... Being on a hill also means that you have to walk up and down to go from reception to rooms, spa to rooms, rooms to yoga place, spa to restaurant... It was not a problem for us as we see this as part of our daily exercise, but it might be an issue for elderly or disable people.

Second, the yoga and other activities were all conducted by patient and knowledgeable teachers. You can feel they love teaching and sharing their knowledge with guests. Everyday from 7:30am, you have a choice of yoga, stretching, tai-chi, fit-ball... courses. We attended most of them and all were very good. Number of students per class varies from 4 to 10...

Third, the spa was great. A lot of selection of treatments. In our package, we have a pre-selected number of treatments and my favorites were the thai massage (ask for Chi), the ayurvedic massage (ask for Rubi) and the belly massage (I don't quite remember the exact name but it help digestion and release the stomach). The ladies at the spa were especially smiling and nice. We asked to have treatments at the same time in the same room and this was not a problem at all if planed in advance.

Four, the food was excellent. You have a choice of "detox" and "non-detox" food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The juice menu (all fresh juices) was very extensive. However, the menu was more European than Thai. Also, after 7 nights, we have tried all dishes as the menu does not really change except for the menu of the day.

In overall, the experience was much better than what we expected. We came back relaxed, recharged and happy. The package was a good idea as we did not want to bother about booking, selecting, keeping track of the expenses... However if we go back, I would not take a package as there is no discount on the package compared to if we chose everything separately. And not having a package also give you more freedom to organize your time and do nothing in a day if you wish to.
As the resort is almost set in a jungle, obviously you will find some bugs, some frogs... but they won't eat you. Finally, do ask for an inside bathroom when booking the room. We had an outside one. It was nice, but I think we would have preferred an inside one. Also book a sea-view villa. They are much more expensive, but you don't want to end up in a tiny hotel room with no view at all as some of the rooms we saw were set behind the yoga/spa place and hence having no view at all and dark all day long...

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
X2 Koh Samui Resort - All Spa Inclusive
Four Seasons Resort Koh Samui Thailand
Sandalwood Luxury Villas
Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort

Been to Kamalaya Koh Samui? Share your experiences!