“I was reborn…”
Review of Kamalaya Koh Samui

Kamalaya Koh Samui
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Laem Set
Reviewed December 25, 2009

Definitely, best holistic spa, best cuisine, most sophisticated treatment programs, most comfortable rooms, most peaceful location and friendliest staff. Trust me, I’ve experienced hundreds of spa all over the world.
The only drawback – it is not the place for those who are looking for intensive nightlife and the most beautiful beach.
Anyway, I came there not for endless parties, but to restore my body and mind. I loved the verities of activities (free of charge) and treatments, which I combined with delicious healthy food.
Unfortunately, I had only 4 days to spend in Kamalaya (although it was enough to recharge my batteries), but I definitely will come back and most probably choose one of their long programs.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank 7langit
There are newer reviews for Kamalaya Koh Samui

An Agoda Traveler
Reviewed December 7, 2009

• Stayed: December 2009
Reviewed September 26, 2009

I agree with the gushing comments about how excellent the service at Kamalaya is but I have to say that I found it on the expensive side. Massages cost what they would in New York City and I found that the staff kept pushing "treatments" on me. One of the naturapaths in particular, Joanne, became nasty when I refused to be pushed into signing up for a 5-day package which would have added $1300 to my accommodation!
The food is good but also pricy, as are juices made with local fruits.
Kamalaya emphasise the idea of finding sprituality and finding yourself and they certainly find your wallet in doing so! Having grown up in a spritual milieu, I was a bit miffed at the way in which sprituality and even religion was so blatantly marketed.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
6  Thank bluemercury
Reviewed September 15, 2009

I went to Kamalaya with an open mind and a will to heal myself and even after 24 hours i was already feeling stronger and more positive. Now that i am back in the real world i feel like i'm on a mission to better myself and live a healthy positive life.

The service at Kamalaya was exceptional, from the moment i was picked up at the airport to the moment i was dropped off i was made to feel like i was the only person on the planet that mattered. It was so refreshing to have people running around after me because normally it is me doing all the running!! The food, the scenery, the rooms, the treatments, the classes, the staff... Everything was truly amazing!!

I booked through Essential Esacpes - a very professional and accommodating company. From the moment i contacted them until even the day after i got back, they were excellent, and really listened to my needs and requirements for my break. I would definitely book through them again!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank TravellingHappy_30
Reviewed September 13, 2009

After a lot of research, we booked a 7-night Asian Bliss Package in a sea-view villa with Kamalaya. We wanted a place we could i) disconnect and rest, ii) do some yoga, iii) be pampered and iv) eat some healthy food. After our 7-night stay, we are more than pleased with our choice.

First, although in Koh-Samui, the resort is set on a calm side of the island. The resort itself has a beach although we never swam there as the tide was too low. But the hotel/spa is beautifully set on a hill with great view on the beach and the dense vegetation around (jungle type of vegetation). We felt like "lost in the jungle" kind of... Being on a hill also means that you have to walk up and down to go from reception to rooms, spa to rooms, rooms to yoga place, spa to restaurant... It was not a problem for us as we see this as part of our daily exercise, but it might be an issue for elderly or disable people.

Second, the yoga and other activities were all conducted by patient and knowledgeable teachers. You can feel they love teaching and sharing their knowledge with guests. Everyday from 7:30am, you have a choice of yoga, stretching, tai-chi, fit-ball... courses. We attended most of them and all were very good. Number of students per class varies from 4 to 10...

Third, the spa was great. A lot of selection of treatments. In our package, we have a pre-selected number of treatments and my favorites were the thai massage (ask for Chi), the ayurvedic massage (ask for Rubi) and the belly massage (I don't quite remember the exact name but it help digestion and release the stomach). The ladies at the spa were especially smiling and nice. We asked to have treatments at the same time in the same room and this was not a problem at all if planed in advance.

Four, the food was excellent. You have a choice of "detox" and "non-detox" food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The juice menu (all fresh juices) was very extensive. However, the menu was more European than Thai. Also, after 7 nights, we have tried all dishes as the menu does not really change except for the menu of the day.

In overall, the experience was much better than what we expected. We came back relaxed, recharged and happy. The package was a good idea as we did not want to bother about booking, selecting, keeping track of the expenses... However if we go back, I would not take a package as there is no discount on the package compared to if we chose everything separately. And not having a package also give you more freedom to organize your time and do nothing in a day if you wish to.
As the resort is almost set in a jungle, obviously you will find some bugs, some frogs... but they won't eat you. Finally, do ask for an inside bathroom when booking the room. We had an outside one. It was nice, but I think we would have preferred an inside one. Also book a sea-view villa. They are much more expensive, but you don't want to end up in a tiny hotel room with no view at all as some of the rooms we saw were set behind the yoga/spa place and hence having no view at all and dark all day long...

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Sophie_In_Taipei
Reviewed September 10, 2009

Kamalaya is one of the best health and wellness resorts in South East Asia that I have visited. The well appointed villas are beautifully decorated and spacious, each with amazing views overlooking the ocean.

Sleep: I had the best sleep in a long time, Kamalaya beds are comfy, along with pillow selection - Experience a shower or bath under the stars in the outdoor bathroom, the ultimate pre-bedtime experience!

Healing: As a well travelled holistic practitioner, I did not go there for healing, but I found that Kamalya could be one of the perfect settings for healing. I have found few places where this amazing energy is imbibed in an integrated health setting . At Kamalaya, if your consciousness is open to it, you will meet with profound energy in this environment.
Staff: The staff are naturally friendly and warm . The wellness centre staff exude a warm care and welcome no matter how many times you walk through there in the same day. I met a lovely naturopath who works there, she and Everyone is well trained, professional and express how they enjoy it there, clearly management's heart is in the right place. My session with the Italian healing visiting consultant was incredible.

Food: The healthy meals were excellent, great selection, especially the seafood and salads. Detox or no detox,,,You must try the chocolate mousse!

Activities: The stretch, yoga and chi gong classes were conducted by attentive staff... chi gong was my favourite. Singing Bowls evening - time to switch off and be struck with the vibrations of healing Tibetan bowls.

Beach, seaside: on the beachfront, we are well taken care of, The attendants will provide protective beach slippers. I made the most of the low tide, walking out to sea alone, ankles surrounded by the shallow water, I did some chi gong and worked with serious chi, there are also smooth rocks to rest on for meditation.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank herkimere
Reviewed August 8, 2009

I had the opportunity to stay at the Kamalaya resort for a then days retreat.
A truly place to let go, to regain energy and to clear your mind.
The resort has an incredible synergy between the wellness sanctuary, the accommodations, the restaurants, the activities and these all is blended into the breath taking nature scenery.
The property is well maintained and the landscape immaculate.
As soon as I arrived at the resort I felled looked after and released from any stress and pressure.
The food is very delicious and the variety astonishing. The food presentation is an art. The variety on smoothies, mocktails, juices are remarkable.
The Wellness Sanctuary is the highlight-the set up, view from the treatment rooms (some of them are open to the nature). The therapist are amongst the best I ever experienced and more important all treatments are consistent throughout and I had a couple of different ones during my stay.
However, the most remarkable hallmark of the resort is the team. Everyone has a genuine welcoming approach and is genuine interest to make your stay a special one. Everyone wants you to be relaxed and looks after their guest in an absolute efficient, smooth and courteous manner.
I can recommend this resort if you want to let go from a busy world and to recharge you batteries.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
Banyan Tree Samui
Banyan Tree Samui
#3 of 51 in Lamai Beach
SENSIMAR Koh Samui Resort and Spa

Been to Kamalaya Koh Samui? Share your experiences!