“Rest your Mind, Awaken your Soul”
Review of Kamalaya Koh Samui

Kamalaya Koh Samui
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Laem Set
South East Asia
“Rest your Mind, Awaken your Soul”
Reviewed September 10, 2009

Kamalaya is one of the best health and wellness resorts in South East Asia that I have visited. The well appointed villas are beautifully decorated and spacious, each with amazing views overlooking the ocean.

Sleep: I had the best sleep in a long time, Kamalaya beds are comfy, along with pillow selection - Experience a shower or bath under the stars in the outdoor bathroom, the ultimate pre-bedtime experience!

Healing: As a well travelled holistic practitioner, I did not go there for healing, but I found that Kamalya could be one of the perfect settings for healing. I have found few places where this amazing energy is imbibed in an integrated health setting . At Kamalaya, if your consciousness is open to it, you will meet with profound energy in this environment.
Staff: The staff are naturally friendly and warm . The wellness centre staff exude a warm care and welcome no matter how many times you walk through there in the same day. I met a lovely naturopath who works there, she and Everyone is well trained, professional and express how they enjoy it there, clearly management's heart is in the right place. My session with the Italian healing visiting consultant was incredible.

Food: The healthy meals were excellent, great selection, especially the seafood and salads. Detox or no detox,,,You must try the chocolate mousse!

Activities: The stretch, yoga and chi gong classes were conducted by attentive staff... chi gong was my favourite. Singing Bowls evening - time to switch off and be struck with the vibrations of healing Tibetan bowls.

Beach, seaside: on the beachfront, we are well taken care of, The attendants will provide protective beach slippers. I made the most of the low tide, walking out to sea alone, ankles surrounded by the shallow water, I did some chi gong and worked with serious chi, there are also smooth rocks to rest on for meditation.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank herkimere

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
worldwide
Reviewed August 8, 2009

I had the opportunity to stay at the Kamalaya resort for a then days retreat.
A truly place to let go, to regain energy and to clear your mind.
The resort has an incredible synergy between the wellness sanctuary, the accommodations, the restaurants, the activities and these all is blended into the breath taking nature scenery.
The property is well maintained and the landscape immaculate.
As soon as I arrived at the resort I felled looked after and released from any stress and pressure.
The food is very delicious and the variety astonishing. The food presentation is an art. The variety on smoothies, mocktails, juices are remarkable.
The Wellness Sanctuary is the highlight-the set up, view from the treatment rooms (some of them are open to the nature). The therapist are amongst the best I ever experienced and more important all treatments are consistent throughout and I had a couple of different ones during my stay.
However, the most remarkable hallmark of the resort is the team. Everyone has a genuine welcoming approach and is genuine interest to make your stay a special one. Everyone wants you to be relaxed and looks after their guest in an absolute efficient, smooth and courteous manner.
I can recommend this resort if you want to let go from a busy world and to recharge you batteries.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
3 Thank Pierre L
london
Reviewed June 20, 2009

Kamalaya is one of the most unique places i have visited. I went to do the Comprehensive detox which i had never done before. I am not sure i can put it into words how well it made me feel. The treatments are to die for - the staff are so friendly i did not want to leave. Even though my husband came with me I would not hesitate to go alone. I can honestly say it has changed mine and my husbands life for the better. We came away completely refreshed and relaxed after both leading very busy and stressful jobs. We met so many interesting people and cant wait to go back.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank pmadgin
New York
Reviewed June 16, 2009

I came to Kamalaya all the way from NY to do their detox program and it was well worth the long trip. Kamalaya is a unique place. It is its own destination. Removed from Chaweng and the crowded beaches further up on the island it was a nice place to relax and really have a real vacation. The food/restaurant was excellent. it is rare to find food that is both healthy and tasteful. I miss the natural, healthy food! The pool and the cafe/lunch area was set up really beautifully - little bungalows overlooking the beautifully designed pool. The spa facility was amazing and i did detox and other luxurious treatments like some of their ayurvedic and massage treatments. Each treatment was amazing and the staff was so great. everyone was welcoming and caring. I had some tooth trouble and an infection while i was there and everyone including the on staff doctor and homeopath consultants helped me to make sure i got the best treatment possible. The classes like yoga and tai chi were great and it was nice to have things to do during the day. I was never bored and truly enjoyed this trip. My hotel room was really great, large and had an amazing sea view with an outdoor hope i can someday return again. The manager, Christian went out of his way to greet guests and make sure everyone was happy. This by far was one of the best spa experiences i have ever had! Highly recommend.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank Jlynnpz
Madrid
Reviewed August 6, 2008

I spent my last holidays in Koh Samui, what a beautiful place! a truly paradise island. I stayed at Kamalaya, a fantastic health spa resort on the South of the island. Just by the beach, clean spacious rooms, pools, vegetation...

They have detox and yoga retreats, all sorts of treatments, chinese medicine, ayurveda... Plus the food is great, a big plus for me. I decided to try one of their yoga retreats, do something about my physical shape (quite round). I found it not only a good exercise, but very relaxing.

I tried some of their treatments as well, some naturopathy. Found the staff very knowledgeable and friendly.

I strongly recommend it.

Alberto

• Liked — yoga retreats
  • Disliked — alergic to some of the flowers
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank achillon
UK
Reviewed July 10, 2008

This really is a tiny spot of paradise. It is beautiful, tranquil and has a wonderful energy. The staff are kind, thoughtful and make you feel so welcome. There is extraordinary attention to detail put into everything.

The food is fresh, healthy and delicious. The rooms are delightful - especially if you ask for the ones with a view over the bay. The beach is tiny and not good for swimming, but it is a beautiful, calm little spot great for sunbathing, reading and watching the world go by. The spa is fantastic - wonderful staff and therapists who make you feel truly special. There is a stunning outdoor yoga shala and the views are amazing.

I really cannot say enough good things and would recommend it to anyone looking for a little break from the busy modern world.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
3 Thank LittleDLondon
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed June 10, 2008

WOW WOW WOW!!! My new husband and I just returned from 7 blissful days at Kamalaya for the start of our honeymoon in Thailand. We did the "7-day Relax and Renew" program and truly loved every aspect of our experience from the gorgeous setting, accommodations, gourmet food, exceptional staff, top notch spa treatments and calming, tranquil vibe. It was just perfect to escape after all the wedding prep, planning and hectic life pace.

General overview: This is a wonderful spa/holistic/wellness retreat resort that is perfect for people seeking a relaxing, very slow placed, reflective/meditative, healthy (possible detox) holiday to get away from it all. It is built to accommodate yoga and spa lovers seeking retreat. If you are wanting any kind of fun, "party", social, upbeat vacation spot with lots of energy-- this is NOT for you.

A few of the Major Pros
1. Gorgeous accommodations. We stayed in one of the villas (#44) and it was suburb. Gorgeous, Zen decor with smooth, dark teak wood and lush, comfy fabrics. We had a beautiful large deck with ocean views that was very romantic, calming and stunning architecturally. It was so hard to leave!

2. Service is wonderful!! Absolutely top rate, first class, 5+ star service. The Thai staff members are the most amazingly kind, genuine, and giving people. They are so wonderful and take the time to get to know you, greet you by name, know your "normal" drink, etc. Exceptional!

**NOTE: The intense customer service can take some getting used to if you are used to more "personal space". Literally up to 10 different staff members stopped by our tables at times to check on us, strike up conversation, or just stand there "if we need anything". It was a bit overwhelming at first for us, but by the end we loved them and missed them if they weren't working that day, etc.

3. The spa, holistic classes and fitness opportunities are world class. Absolutely the best spa treatments I have ever received (and I have had many around the world). All the instructors and practitioners are spectacular. We loved waking up and doing yoga in the morning on top of the hill with the gorgeous views and gentle ocean breeze. Pure bliss!

4. The food is spectacular. My husband is a foodie in the industry, so he can be tough to please, but we absolutely loved all the Thai and international cuisine available. It was fresh, healthy and so delicious. The only downside is you do kind of get tired of the same choices after 4-5 days. . . but you can always take a trip off site to a local restaurant if you want something different. And there is very little alcohol available. If that is important to you it could be a problem (see below)

Cons
1. The one major con is the "beach" - in quotations because there really isn't a viable one here. It is truly one only major thing missing from this otherwise 5+ star resort. Is there is any way to "fix" the beach it and make it swimable and pleasant to hang out on, this would be the icing on the cake for Kamalaya.

2. Very little alcohol. Only wine (3 choices) and beer are available and the staff asked "are you sure you want alcohol" a few times, as guests are often there on detox, etc. So if having a drink or two at lunch or dinner is your thing. . . . this place isn't for you. Obviously-- not a "party" place by any means either. Everything shuts down by 9 or 10pm.

3. This is a personal preference, but a tub in the bathroom would have been great. I love taking baths and the villas have gorgeous outdoor bathrooms, but no tubs :(

4. I feel kind of "wimpy" saying this, esp because much of why you go to Kamalaya is for health, etc. . . . but it is true. The grounds are VERY hilly and steep. So in the 90+ degree heat with 80%+ humidity it can be daunting and exhausting to just leave the pool area and hike all the way to dinner, fitness class, spa, etc.
5. Bugs-- I know there is no way to avoid them and of course it is not Kamalaya's faculty. . . but just know, it is HOT and there are lots of bugs and biting insects. The staff do take many measures to try and help with the bugs by lighting citronella candles when they turn down the rooms, etc. Just be prepared :)

Overall. . . .A+++++++. This is a posh, top notch spa and wellness retreat resort. They are only 2 years old and my guess is that in 3-5 years (or less) Kamalaya will be so popular it will be out of many people's reach financially. Go now while it is still affordable!!!

• Liked — Amazing staff and service, spa treatments are best I have had, great food, very zen, peaceful and relaxing decor
  • Disliked — The "beach" is not viable for swimming and not too pretty to hang out on. It is very rocky and not pretty
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Banburee Resort & Spa
Banburee Resort & Spa
#2 of 3 in Laem Set
ShaSa Resort & Residences, Koh Samui

Been to Kamalaya Koh Samui? Share your experiences!