“Fantastic health resort”
Review of Kamalaya Koh Samui

Kamalaya Koh Samui
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Laem Set
Reviewed May 18, 2014

I stayed a couple of years ago. It was the most wonderful place. Everything about it if the best..., the beautiful rooms,how they take care of you, the delicious, healthy food, the treatments. It really is the best Health resort. Great design.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great. We had a beach view villa...It was wonderful. We had a private deck to lie...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LisaK-NZ

Reviewed May 17, 2014 via mobile

It s a pity that I stayed only a night there, but I had such s great n peaceful time. My room has an outdoor bathroom n toilet. It s fun. But I probably prefer indoor bathroom next visit. Staff there is friendly and helpful. I spent most of my day near the beach. It s quite tired of walking up n down to the hill during summer but good exercise though. The meals there are really healthy. I love a great variety of real fruit juice n smoothly including young coconut water. It s So so fresh. Bad much the spa there was too busy. So no chance to have any massage treatment. I do recommend to book it in advance. I would absolutely go back there again.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed May 6, 2014

We started off with a Hill view room but didn't like it because we were looking into the hill (looked like we were looking into a wall) rather than from it, as we had expected. Moved to one with a better outlook, but toilet drains weren't working and we had to move again because we couldn't stand the smell. The resort very graciously put us in a breathtakingly beautiful room with a peaceful, serene and awesome outlook from its glass frontage.

This resort turned out to be an exceptional experience. From the quality of the products available for use in the gorgeous bathroom with a tropical indoor garden, to the daily fruit platter and teas in room, meditative quiet music playing, to the world's best practice in food quality and preparation, we have not ever experienced anything like this before. The swimming pool was crystal clear, yet had no traces of chlorine.

It was exactly what we needed to recharge the batteries. Yoga, Tai Chi and a host of other wellness activities were available, but not forced on you. Nothing was forced on you!

Service was excellent, everywhere. Chef made himself available to discuss secret recipes with you and even copied recipes for you. We had never encountered this quality of food before, ever!

Beautiful private beach, lovely evening activities if you felt like it. Like most water frontages in Thailand however, beachfront water quality "not wonderful". However, the exceptional quality and class of the place made up for this!

Highly recommended for a retreat, a recharge, a rest, and a real holiday away from it all. Look forward to returning!

Room Tip: Room with a view of the stream to the pool, or beachfront
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 24, 2014

The Kamalaya is designed and run with impeccable taste. The design and the atmosphere stand for a unique interpretation of luxury, very low key, very pleasant and down to every detail. Staff seems to be thoroughly screened and happy at work. Cooking is (very much detox) gourmet style.
The only downsides I could find were the beach in April (I was told that it is partly seasonal), it looks nice and is good for walking but it was too shallow for swimming. And for people with a walking problem the setting is very challenging as the hill is very steep. You can get always a golf cab to drive you but some places might be difficult.
I very much appreciated the commitment of the wellness sanctuary and felt in very good hands with Stephen, Violetta and Dr. Song.
Absolutely a place to be revisited!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Maybe I am missing something but Kamalaya was disappointing for the money it charged. Yes I agree the service and the food in the restaurants was good but my experience in the spa did not meet my needs;as the staff do not speak much English so the therapist does not ask you what pressure you need and the facial treatment was one of the worst I have ever had! The rooms are in need of re-decoration and the beds are as hard as a rock, so be prepared for little sleep.

The beach was also disappointing, as other reviewers have commented the water is very shallow and full of shingle so no paddling on the shoreline unless you wear special plastic slippers to protect your feet. When the tide went out the beach looked less attractive and in order to swim you have to walk about 10 minutes to get any depth and without any lifeguard, it is also rather dangerous!
The hills in the resort are also very steep to climb and are quite a challenge in the heat and humidity, some fitness is required and the pool has only a few loungers which means you are forced to use the loungers on the beach.
However Kamalaya does deliver with its choice of therapies and Yoga and I understand why this place has become so popular for stressed out Executives and others who just need some peace and quiet to reconnect with their soul.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Geranium1HongKong
Reviewed April 6, 2014

We spent 3 days at this resort and I must say, it's one the best 3 days of my life so far. From head to toe, it's difficult to find flaws regarding this wonderful resort. When you arrive, you'll head to a wellness consultation to make sure you utilise the fullest of this place. The rooms, amazing, from the bedding to the bathroom. The spa, ohhh so amazing and it gets better when you get a treatment room that's facing the Gulf Of Thailand. The facilities such as the Steam Cavern, the normal temperature pool with a beautiful view, is the best. Definitely one of the best stay i had for awhile.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Faiqilhan
Reviewed March 22, 2014

I didn't go to Kamalaya to start a new health regime. I'm healthy as it is. But it appeals to have somewhere you can really do everything you want to do if you're in to nothing (nothing is also a very good option. The place is a chillfest). I don't eat gluten, dairy or egg which can make travel a bit painful. I also don't drink or have big nights so I was looking for something like minded. I've been wanting to come for years.

As soon as I got into my room, I noticed the music in the room I just kept on all the time. So soothing. What a nice touch.

June was amazing as a therapist. I had the Chi Nei Tsang abdominal massage and instantly felt better. I had another one the next day with another therapist as well as infrared saunas, a scrub and another massage. All great.

The food was the best I've ever had at a resort. Catering for allergies, those who want to be healthy and those who want to indulge in a relatively healthy way.

I scored a room upgrade which I was grateful for. Huge. Way too big for just me. But I loved it.

When you don't know where everything is and you don't know your way around the spa, it's not that easy to get around and I didn't find a lot of it explained. I just asked guests and I was fine.

Due to commitments, I only had time to stay two nights. But within an hour, I was figuring out when and how I could get back here for at least a week.

Secluded beach was divine. There was always enough chairs for the people whether it be there, around the pool or the hang out areas within the spa.

Mem taught the yoga class I did and was great.

Really good place to come with people or alone.

I didn't like how they changed my air temperature in my room. I was inside and heard someone playing with the buttons (assuming remotely). Didn't like it. minor though.

Some people talk about the expensive food. But the array and quantity make it well worth the price. I just wonder if they don't know great quality food when they have it. The seclusion means that you're not crashing into people at the pool, there's wine and maybe other alcohol available but people don't get drunk. It's just a lovely place to be.

Buffet not stocked quickly in the mornings - they ran out of juice, mango and Bircher while I was there. These were quickly refilled once I asked. That was something very little as everything else was amazing.

Room Tip: They're all amazing, just depends what you want to pay
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Poppies Samui
#1 of 104 in Chaweng
X2 Koh Samui Resort - All Spa Inclusive
Sandalwood Luxury Villas

Been to Kamalaya Koh Samui? Share your experiences!