Kamalaya Koh Samui
ShaSa Resort & Residences, Koh Samui(Laem Set)(Great Value!)
$197
$146
Priceline
Banburee Resort & Spa(Laem Set)(Great Value!)
$54
TripAdvisor
Samui Reef View Resort(Ko Samui)(Great Value!)
Easy Time Resort(Taling Ngam)(Great Value!)
$27
$25
Rocky's Boutique Resort(Lamai Beach)
$123
$89
Royal Beach Boutique Resort & Spa(Lamai Beach)(Great Value!)
$146
$83
Centara Villas Samui(Maret)
  • Pool
TripAdvisor
All reviewscommunal tablewellness centrehealthy foodcommunity tabledetox menudetox programvisiting practitionershillside roomtai chihealth resortyoga pavilionlife changingpersonal trainingrecharge your batteriesa la cartevery special placetreatment rooms
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My partner and I just finished a nine day comprehensive detox program at Kamalaya. The resort itself is very nice, set amongst the hills and the natural rock formations. In fact, many rooms have the large rock formations built into the room itself. We stayed in a Sea View Villa. The name is a bit misleading. Although you could see the sea, it was through the trees and far off in the distance. The resort is obviously designed for people who want to get away from it all. It is very serene and tranquil and you feel relaxed from the get go. You need to be fit to a certain extent, because there are steps and steep hills everywhere that you need to navigate to get around. The location is quite remote and there is nothing in the immediate vicinity. There are no televisions other than one in the library. The program we undertook is centred around various treatments (massages, exercise etc), controlled diet and vitamin supplements. We were in reasonable shape, but I have to say that the diet regime is intensive. The food is all vegetarian and after a few days, the items on the menu that suit your taste seem to shrink dramatically. The vitamin supplements taken each day total 29 pills and they just keep coming at you all day until you go to bed.

The people at Kamalaya are what makes the place. They are all wonderful and couldn't do enough for you.

All in all, it was a worthwhile experience, something that for me will me a one time thing. It was a gruelling 9 days, I lost some weight, feel good physically and I would say benefitted a lot from the experience.

Room Tip: I would not recommend the rooms at the back of the resort.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Craig D
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Just the most lovely place you can imagine. I was traveling alone for the first time and this resort was recommended to me by a girl (woman) from the UK. I am a pretty down to earth type of person and it started to itch to be advised to go to a holistic center. I got some resistance to go there. But as I liked and connected with the UK-girl from the first moment and she kind of begged me to go to Kamalaya I took my chances. She offered me a return ticket London to slap her in the face in case I would not like it. Despite the "firm" prices for a room it was worth every penny of it. I have found peace in mind and met the most divers and interesting people. I have wished to go back there every year since (I was there in 2009, but as i can not select a date further away than April 2012, I cheated a bit :-)). I am now finally planning a renewed visit, this time with my lover and already longing for it. Just go and experience it, it is hard to describe. Excellent food by the way.

Room Tip: Book a seaview room!!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank JudithvdD
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We did not stay at Kamalaya during our 10 day trip to Koh Samui, but learned about it while we were on the island and decided to do lunch and massage at their wellness center. The hotel has individual bungalows that are nestled in a little valley that goes all the down to a beautiful beach. Very quiet and upscale environment. We ate in their outdoor restaurant and had excellent food with a very enjoyable waitress. They also have yogo with excellent guest teachers in addition to a full range of services at their wellness center. I had my first hot oil India relaxation massage, thanks to some persuasion from my girl friend! I took a 60 minute massage but could have easily done the 2.5 hour massage that they offer. I felt a little bit like a pancake, but it was a great experience. The people were extremely professional and very nice. We were very glad that we went and highly recommend it.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KD2122
Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

From the beginning to the end a perfect spa experience. Pick up from airport to check in fine. Sea view room simple but very nice and functional. Food quality, presentation, choice and service perfect. Spa quality of treatments excellent in perfect surrounding..
As the whole resort is on a steep hill you are forced to do excercise by moving up and down, which might be a problem for elderly people. If you are not a activity freak and want spend time in your room avoid the garden view rooms which are a bit dark. Considering the right room choice it is a perfect place to rejuvenate and recover.
I had a great holiday and miss the excellent food. Will be back soon.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Bobfu
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is my first time to stay at a retreat and I loved Kamalaya. I went for a five day relax and renew package which includes all meals and a great range of massages (you can change to other treatments if you don't like some of them but there could be some price difference). The massages were excellent and the therapists are all very well-trained. Service was exceptional. I am allergic to lemongrass and the restaurant manager (I think her name is GUI) made sure that the oil burner in my room was changed in addition to making sure I don't have to repeat the request to take out lemongrass for all my meals at the hotel. Food is definitely better than I expected. You can start your detox even if you did not sign up for it. There is obviously a lot of raw veg, but proper healthy meals with meat are available as well. They have some Asian dishes but I prefer the western ones. Their range of fresh fruit drinks are the best! The room we chose is the cheapest hillside room. It's a very average room but it was ok for me as I didn't stay in the room that much. The hillside rooms are right next to the yoga pavilion so it was perfect for me to do 2 yoga classes each morning with no excuses. I'm still feeling relaxed after a week getting back into work and continuing to eat healthy. Many guests go back every year and I think I will definitely return to Kamalaya.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends