“Second time there...and still some reservations” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kamalaya Koh Samui

Kamalaya Koh Samui
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Laem Set
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Second time there...and still some reservations”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

We went back to Kamalaya. That should tell you something about the place. I still found that it is far too expensive, though, and now that I've had more experience in Asia, I think my view is even more justified. A ginger tea (ginger pieces in hot water) for US$5?

Massages
The treatments were good (I especially recommend the Ayurvedic massages) but they go for more than US$120 for an hour. And check the time - I felt that the therapists were cutting off 5-7 minutes so that they could be in time for the next client.

I had the Thai herbal compress massage which, I can safely say, was one of the best massages of my life!

The food is very good - although I think the lunch at Amrita could do with some help. We had some mishaps there such as the pasta with the chickpea sauce (which was pasta covered in hummous) and other bland things but the dinner menu compensated.
I think Kamalaya makes a good chunk of their profits from the price of the food...the meal plan basically costs about US$30 per meal - even breakfast. I don't think it is good value for money but does able one to explore the fancy drinks without much guilt. I had the meal plan as part of the treatment package but would not take it otherwise.

SERVICE
Compared to the last time we were there, we felt that the service has dropped slightly. Staff were not at friendly as before and certainly were not attentive.

All in all, a good place but I felt - both times I was there - that I was being pickpocketed in broad daylight.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank bluemercury

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

While I agree with many of the other reviews about it being very peaceful and relaxing, my own view is that as a "retreat" it under delivers. I was surprised at a few things
The rooms were nice, however, compared to "high end " hotels it was well below expectations
I don't mind a firm bed, however, this was really a bit extreme
If you are going for one of the programs, I felt there was little or no support on how you were progressing, I also overheard many raise issue with lack of trainers and therapists availability
Also, as I love to swim, the view is slightly misleading. You can't just go on beach for swim( unless the peak of high tide) as the water is too shallow. Your choices are 7 min walk down beach or 7- 10 min walk out to sea( until it becomes waist deep)
Again, while staff were pleasant and even with the room upgrade and amazing scenery, I don't think I would return

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Jeffreycritic
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

I stayed by myself at Kamalaya for 5 nights in June 2012.
I enjoyed my relaxing peacful time there a lot. The staff are incredibly nice, friendly & helpful.
Apart from your own retreat program (whether it's massage, private class, etc), there is scheduled program twice a day; morning & afternoon for you to join.
Swimming pool, tho not big, is good enough for a lap swimming.
Massage here are terrific, one of the best for me.
Food are healthy, but still good taste, and variety enough for your long stay.
Recommended not to order rare dish (I ordered ostrich, & it turned out very stale that I could not chewed it, but they then replaced the order for me.)
Library are full of books.
Despite it is located in Thailand, I was the only Thai guest there.
Although it is quite a bit high price.
I still highly recommend for those who want to have a quiet time while recharging your inner strength or balancing your life.

Room Tip: With some higher price; the suite or villa type of rooms are a lot larger & offer far better vie...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank SarinM
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

Its a little pearl of Koh Samui. Time stopped for the 10days we spent there. Healthy, beautiful food, nice conversational groups, yoga....oh and the treatments!!!! Still dreaming about them!
First night we stayed in a hillside sea view room but the overnight the AC brough in very bad smell. Next day they moved us to a nice villa to make up for the first night smell.
Great service, relaxation and a way of simple life.
Loved it!

Room Tip: as close as possible to the beach!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Traveller2628
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

Although our stay at Kamalaya was brief we simply we had an amazing time. The resort itself is gorgeously set against a hilllside. The accommodation was perfect, with all the amenities (incl options of 2 showers just in case..) and more. The staff were happy and friendly, eager to help when needed and although we were travelling with a baby (and the resort is not specifically equipped for this), all staff was extremely helpful and smiley and could not keep themselves from playing with our little man. The food, in spite of it being mostly focused on detox, is delicious and the breakfast buffet is simpy to die for. Unlimited juices, wheatgrass and gotu kola shots, an amazing fruit buffet as well as salad bar, hot food section, nut seed bar with nut and seed milks, and bread bar (with gluten free options). Make sure you come early as you can easily spend hours at breakfast. The facilities are picture perfect with the swimming pool bordering a lovely pond with waterfall features. The private beach is clean and white. Although the sea can be quite far out, the view on the national park makes it a stunning setting. The icing on the cake is the excellent wellness center offering every kind of treatment you can think of and never heard of! Their staff seem to be have been carefully selected to provide a high standard of health and wellbeing and with selection of visiting practitioners from around world to also choose from, we were well looked after. Can't wait to return!

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Rice_paddy7474
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

It's a quiet place, no noisey bars, no karaoke, no TV in your room. No over crowded beach or pool. A place for wellness and relaxation. Healthy eating and getting into the zen mode.
Friendly and helpful staff always serving you with a smile.

Room Tip: We had an ocean facing twin room, it was lovely.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Tsuey_007
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

The closest place to HEAVEN i have ever visited .
The best thing for a single mum of 3 , who also looks after her parents .
No cooking , no cleaning ..... just pure relaxation .
The staff were nurturing , helpful and so friendly .
The food was magnificent ( i like eating healthily )
The treatments unbelievable .
I spent a lot of time meditating in the buddhist monk cave ...... which helped my general well being.
Then there was the beach , time to reflect , restore , renew .

Room Tip: No. 28 or 32 Deluxe sea view suite . Fabulous view and private .
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
#1 of 104 in Chaweng
Four Seasons Resort Koh Samui Thailand
Sandalwood Luxury Villas
Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort

Been to Kamalaya Koh Samui? Share your experiences!