“Excellent stay!! totally worth it”
Review of Shiva Samui

Shiva Samui
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I and a few of my girl friends visited the resort last week..and WOW is what i would rate my experience..we stayed at the Baan Orchid..Just 2 minutes from the beach front..
The villa was extremely nice..as good as it looked on the website..our pick up from the airport was on time..
Inspite of having reached at 7 in the morning the resort people accommodated us in their very well kept ocean view rooms till our villa was ready..They even had breakfast sent to us.

No lengthy checkin formality was required..infact we did not even have to get off at the reception..the van stopped at the entrance we were greeted by a nice lady who just asked for our passports which were returned within an hour and were driven straight to the ocean rooms as we were very tired from the early morning flight..

What amazing staff..I was careless enough to leave my folder containing my tickets, passport, and a lot of money outside the ocean view rooms while we shifted to our villa..Realized only hours later what i was missing and there we had one of the staff people walking in with my folder.. And let me tell you NOT a penny missing..i was so amazed by the honesty..cant thank them enough..

The food was great..very very well maintained villas and private pool..everything you could ask for was equipped at the villa..enough utensils, cutlery, etc.

For all those (like us) who worry about its proximity to Chaweng - It is barely a 20 min ride..we hired our own car and managed even on our own..they have shuttles to Lamai often..and scooters and cabs are readily available..cabs from Chaweng to the resort are available even at early hours in the morning..

All villas are equipped with a safe and the staff advises you to activate and put your valuables in it on check in..We did that all the time..perfectly safe resort and surroundings..

The only thing that can be improved is the beach front..Maybe a little more life to it would be a good idea..Since it is a shallow beach dont expect to go there for swimming..

Just one downside: The reception closes by 10 P.M. so if you have an early check out make sure you sort out your bills before you head out for any late night the night before..even though our man was sweet enough to come from his house to the resort when we requested him to late in the night, I recommend them to have a 24hr reception..i think it is a must for any resort..

Over all a superb experience..very nice courteous staff..excellent villas..everything you need to unwind on your vacation..close yet far from the hustle and bustle..i highly recommend Samui Beach Village..

I hope to be back soon..

Room Tip: Baan Orchid is amazing for a two bedroom villa..Almost beachfront.. If you book in time you will be...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank devika86
Luke S, Manager at Shiva Samui, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2012

Dear Davika86,

Thank you so very much for taking the time to write your review on Trip Advisor and thank you even more for such a glowing endorsement of Samui Beach Village and your recent holiday with us.

We love hearing that our staff and the resort lived up to expectations and helped ensure you had a wonderful time.

We hope you come back sooner rather than later!

There are newer reviews for Shiva Samui

Reviewed October 5, 2012

We stayed at the Samui Beach Villa's for almost a week with a group of friends for a wedding. I have mixed feelings about this resort - some things were fantastic (the wedding), while others were, well, terrible to say the least (villa break ins and robberies!)

After having read reviews on Trip Adviser and looking through the resort's website, I had high hopes for this place, but they quickly faded! The entrance to the resort is very run down and it is not the type of entrance you would expect of a 5-star "luxurious" and "superb" resort (as stated on their website). The resort facilities were also very dissapointing, and mirrored those of a 3-star motel rather than a 5-star resort! There was no real reception area, the gym was tiny and the restaurant was very modest.

The check in process was quite uncoordinated, with staff seeming overwhelmed with a large group check in (a lot of confusion!) We finally got to our villas, which were the highlight of the resort. We stayed in Baan Chai Haat, which was well furnished, quite modern and clean, and was on the beach, so had direct beach access, as well as a private pool (no shade around the pool, which was bad). The villas were large and well equiped with a full kitchen for those wishing to cook for themselves, and accommodated 8 people quite well. The downfall; the beds! Our mattress felt like we were sleeping on a concrete floor! We called housekeeping for a mattress topper for the following night, but it still wasn't much better! The showers were terrible, no water pressure and never any hot water! But I suppose there is nothing better to wake you in the morning than a cold shower! Each villa also comes equiped with a pre-paid mobile phone that you can use to call reception and other villas. While it seems good in theory, it was quite frustrating! With 8 people staying in one villa (who were not with each other at all times), and having only one phone, caused some inconveniences. The villas should have at least a land line to call reception if the mobile phone is not around, but they didn't, so if we ever needed anything, we would have to walk down to reception and ask directly (again, not good enough for a "5-star" resort!) The mobile phones also did not charge very well, and ran out of credit very quickly, which we then had to top up ourselves!

We ate at the restaurant the first night we arrived, and again, the staff seemed very disorganised and overwhelmed by such a large group. Service was sloppy and slow, but staff were very friendly, which made up for the delays. Each time we ate at the restaurant, the drinks I would order at the beginning of the meal would not arrive until we had finished eating! The food was average at best (avoid ANY western food - it is all terrible!) The thai food was very good, although very spicy even when we asked for 'not spicy'! We ordered room service one night, and it arrived very quickly (within 20 minutes), and was very good (was Thai food - they seem to get that right!) Brekky was not bad, and consisted of a hot and cold buffet (not many options, but it was ok, nothing to rave about). However, there was never any consistency in the food that was cooked - we ordered omelettes one morning, and they would be what we asked for, then the next morning, they would be runny and completely different to what we ordered. The same went with the drinks we ordered - at lunch time, the cocktails tasted like they had NO alcohol in them, while at dinner time, they were too strong! The restaurant needs a lot of attention to be up to scratch, especially for a "5-star" resort!

We booked in for a spa treatment one day, which was quite nice. The staff spoke very little English, but they were very friendly and professional. We had the herbal massage and ear candling, which although was very expensive compared to the spas in town, was relaxing and well performed. The process to actually book into the spa was not very well done - there was never any one at the spa to book, so we had to go over to reception who walked over and booked us in herself!

The resort offers a free shuttle service into Lamai, but it only runs twice a day, so you might as well get a taxi in! The location is ok if you intend to stay in your villa and not venture any further into town, as it will cost you 400THB and about a 15 minute taxi drive into Lamai (can become very expensive if you are doing it a couple of times a day). There is nothing really within walking distance, so if you want something closer to town, stay somewhere else. It is located on a quite private beach however, so that is one bonus, but the beach was dirty and the water was always too far out to actually go swimming!

Now to the staff... Generally, staff members were very friendly, and did their best to please (although not very competent at times). In particular, Lift and James were fantastic! They went out of their way to accommodate us, and always had a smile on their faces (Lift was a big help when our villa was broken into, and drove us directly to the Police station,which we are grateful for, after having got him out of bed at 11pm!) Sadly, I cannot say the same for the management team, who were always full of excuses and were actually really fake! Fiona, who seemed lovely at first, really didn't seem to care about the theft of our belongings, and did nothing to try to compensate for it.

I better tell you what actually happened with the break in and theft of our belongings (2 ipads, 3 phones, an ipod, Australian cash and Thai Bhat - from 2 seperate villas in our group). We were all going out for dinner one night (everyone from 2 of the villas). We caught a resort taxi into town, and when we returned, we noticed our things were missing and all of our bags had been gone through. We had left all our doors and windows locked (in both villas), and it was all very dodgy. We believe it had to have been an inside job, as they knew exactly when we were leaving and coming back, and they knew exactly what villas would be empty (coincidence? I think not!) There are no CCTV cameras set up around the villas, there is only one in room safe, which is too small to fit even an ipad, and the security gaurds on duty (there were two that night, but often only one on duty), were often seen sleeping on the job (we have the photos to prove it!!) Again, not good enough for a "5-star" resort! This really was the lowlight of our trip, and sadly set my opinion for the resort. After speaking to management about the theft the next day, we were told that this had never happened in the last 6 years - well, the Tourist Police had something else to say, who told us that there are 30 reports of theft from this resort alone each year - that is one every fortnight! We then checked on the trusty Trip Adviser, and wouldn't you know it, 2 weeks before we stayed at the resort, another traveller reported the same incident, where they had a break in and their items were stolen too. Surely management would have known this is a regular occurance, why lie about it!? We have a right to feel safe in a "5-star" resort! I do not understand why there were not more security measures put in place (more security staff, CCTV, even sensor lights!) Common sense is too hard to come by so it seems!

Well, the one thing this resort does do right, are their weddings! Our friends wedding we attended (organised by the resort), was beautiful. Everything seemed perfect! The ceremony, the set up, the reception, the staff (again, it was James and Lift serving, so of course it was good!) The food was good (and a lot of it), and the cocktails, while very strong, were also fantastic. The little extras (the fireworks and the lighting of the lanterns) were also perfect, to add to a wonderful celebration. It was a magical evening, and the event manager should pride herself on a job very well done. After the headache of the theft, the enjoyment of the wedding just seemed to make everything so much better.

I am sorry to say this, but I will not be back here, and I do not recommend it to anyone (unless you are getting married, then have the wedding there, but stay somewhere else!) While they did seem to try hard to meet expectations, every thing only seemed to be done by half. Again, it is definately not 5-star standard; I would compare it to a 3-star property in Australia. This resort really does need to think about its offering and try to improve it, because I found it extremely dissapointing. Please do not make the same mistake as we did, stay somewhere else!!

Room Tip: The villas along the beach (Baan Chai Haat and Baan Flora) are beautiful, but make sure you do not l...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Laura P
Luke S, Manager at Shiva Samui, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Dear Laura

We thank you for your feedback and take all our guests comments very seriously.

After reading your comments, I looked into the other guests in your party and see they have listed 6/7 Excellent ticks in our customer feedback form with the 7th being Good and used phrases such as “Amazing Week”, “Staff was Great” and “Would Cone Again”, so evidently everyone has had a great holiday and enjoyed their stay with us at Samui Beach Village.

I can see clearly the theft of some of your belongings has certainly given a bitter taste to what seems a lovely holiday & wedding for your friends and family. I totally understand; it is a terrible thing when it happens, and I am sorry that it happened to you; it is a sad world that others steal. I assure you we do everything possible to stop this from happening, and we do have light sensors at the back of each villa, and that we have 3 full time security staff at night employed by a reputable security contractor.

I will personally take to task the tourist police and their story regarding the number of break-ins, this is a total fabrication, I can vouch that we have not had anywhere near this number in the entire 10 years history of Samui Beach Village being in operation.

I am happy to confirm that we are also installing cctv cameras to the resort to enhance the current security measures.

I am glad you enjoyed most of the experience, and as stated we do take guest feedback very seriously: I am happy to confirm we are installing luxurious, European style mattress toppers in all the villas; are expanding the number of free shuttle service runs to Lamai; and confirm that as a result of the large number in your party we did provide you with a complimentary early check-in at 10:30hrs rather than 15:00hrs along with the offer to give you a buffet service to aid the speed of restaurant service, which I am informed worked very well for your group.

I am sad to read you will not be coming back to visit SBV, and am pleased to hear that other members in your party have said they will.

We cannot please everyone all of the time, and we certainly do our very best, with the level of commitment given by our team to the enjoyment of our guests stay is paramount to our whole team. We pride ourselves on giving a home from home experience and I am glad to say we have a very high level of returning guests and shall endeavour to keep on improving our resort.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed October 5, 2012

We stayed in Baan Orchid Luxury Villa for 10 days. All we can say that it was one of the best places to stay! It was faaaaantastic holiday!!! Staff is veeery nice and friendly, location is great, villa is beautiful. Only one thing we can advise to Fiona is to improve the breakfast. I think we will be back to that place again, next summer!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Dear Marina G,

So wonderful you had a fantastic holiday with us at Samui Beach Village and that you will be back to visit us again next year!

We have just refurbished the restaurant and are looking to implement more and more offerings for our hot breakfast buffet so that all tastes are satisfied.

Look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed October 4, 2012

Having spent 2 wks staying at Samui Beach Village with 2 other families across a few villas we had a relaxing, fun time. The location is certainly out of the hustle & bustle of Chaweng with a beautiful scenic beach to walk along, though the tide does need to be in if you want to swim, otherwise you have to walk quite a distance out to reach a reasonable depth. We also ended up hiring our own van, as there were 11 of us & given there were no local restaurants or shops within walking distance, this gave us total flexibility. The entrance to SBV is low key & they don't really have a proper looking reception & definitely no lobby - its more of an office with 3 office desks & a few chairs to sit on for guests. The villas themselves however - baan lotus (apart from the roosters at the back that woke everyone up at 5:30/6am), baan orchid and baan lelavadee were lovely and so big and well appointed. They were cleaned everyday by a delightful group of Thai ladies who always appeared so happy. The last villa - baan buua however was not as nice - it was dark and there was something about it that didn't seem right (fortunately we only spent 1 night there). We found out what it was not long after we left when we came out in bite marks all over (& I thought gee I don't recall getting bitten by Mozzies as we brought plenty of tropical insect repellent) & after some discussion & research we realized the place was swarming with bedbugs which had got into our luggage which we'd left on the floor given we'd had to move & were only staying there for 1 night. We had the typical 3bite markings everywhere (breakfast, lunch & dinner bites) & the research said bed bugs love living in wood and can survive without hosts for mths. The beds and all the furniture throughout the villa was old traditional rustic wooden furniture. So they really need to spray this villa throughout and change the furniture. The breakfast on offer was ok, but certainly not 5 star - the eggs cooked were either scrambled or omelette and that was it - any attempt to ask for anything else was met with confusion. It also looked like a temporary set up, so they need to decide what their offering is and really invest in it if they are going to say they offer a 5 star service. The one and only treadmill in the gym was broken for the entire 2wks we were there and I remember a previous review from august had commented on this and they said they were waiting on a part. I must admit though walking, swimming & tennis sufficed well, after all who wants to be couped up in a gym in this paradise. The large pool that we could use from the Orchid Samui resort was lovely & big, but it's surroundings including the Orchid restaurant on the beach, gardens and distressed animals kept in cruel small cages as part of the tiger zoo let it down (i do understand this is a separately managed property to SBV). We did use it quite a few times however, as we had to restrict how often we used the villa pools & club pool due to the daily use of chlorine added (to the point that bathers were bleached, skin was red and the kids came out in welts after sometimes only being in the water for 30mins). I reported this to reception 3 times on 3 different days & gave up after that. Apart from the above negatives however we did have a great time. I do think there is a lot of potential for SBV, but they need to be clear on their offering - are they a proper resort (with all the trimmings that go with a true resort) or individual owned and rented out villas, as I think it could be a fantastic resort if they invested in the services offered & not just the advertising & marketing?

Room Tip: Baan lelavadee or baan orchid
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Dear Rossdurbs,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor, I am delighted you and your family had a relaxing and fun time, and thank you for the points raised in your review.

I completely agree with your comments regarding the location, we are extremely lucky at Samui Beach Village to enjoy such a beautiful, scenic beach, in a quiet and unspoilt location away from the hustle and bustle of the larger towns, this does of course mean you are limited by the number of restaurants and shops within walking distance.

We do of course have our own Clubhouse Restaurant and can only presume you did not find the other restaurants close to the resort, such as Fisherman’s Outlet (a personal favourite of mine), X2 and M’s that all offer very reasonable and extremely good local cuisine, the local shops are within a short walk do serve everyday needs for groceries etc. and we do offer a shuttle service at no charge to Lamai every day. We also provide a same day shopping service for guests who want to leave the shopping to us.

Many of our guests would agree that the villas are both big and well appointed, and we get many comments on how delightful our house keeping team are, most have been with us for several years and are very happy. We have received numerous testimonials over the years from guests saying how much they love Baan Buaa and I can only assume the other villas you stayed in were more to your personal taste.

With regards to your comments about bed bugs, this unfortunately I cannot agree with, Baan Buaa is furnished mostly with original Thai antiques which are treated for all termites and bugs regularly, and in addition the beds are quite new and have the very latest Tempur foam mattresses.

Prior to responding to your review, which I do take very seriously, I have had the villa checked by a team of external contractors who have given me a report stating that there is no evidence whatsoever of bed bugs in the villa, or having been in the villa. I therefore believe the bites may well be from either another source, or are from a different species. I understand it is easy to confuse a sand fly bite with that of a bed bug. Baan Buaa has enjoyed almost 100% occupancy for several months, it is a very popular villa enjoying an idyllic location less than 10 metres from the beach and no other guests have commented on this problem.

I do understand your comments regarding the location for your breakfast, at the time of your stay we were extending the thatched covered area of the Club House restaurant, which is now completed and looks fantastic, meaning breakfast, was served at the pool bar, as an alternative all guests were offered room service at no charge.

Unfortunately, having had the treadmill repaired it has failed for a second time, therefore we are awaiting delivery of new equipment that should be with us shortly. With regards to the pool, I am not aware of any other guests raising the chlorination of the pool as a problem; at Samui Beach Village we employ a fully qualified, full time pool technician who did check your pool several times and could find no issues with the levels. I have instructed the team to have the equipment we use to test the pools checked for accuracy.

Thank you again for your review, we really do appreciate your feedback, and although there were a number of points you raised, I am delighted you had a great time and we do look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

These amazing beach villas are in an unspoilt area in the Thai island of Samui. Hi spec. with own pool. The entire onsite services are top class including the restaurant. A fabulous place for a beach wedding. Would recommend the Thai massage to loosen up before a game of tennis in the evening when it’s not too hot. A big thank you to all the staff there that made my stay so memorable. David

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank David D
Luke S, Manager at Shiva Samui, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Dear David D,

Thank you for writing about your experience with us at Samui Beach Village.

We are thrilled you enjoyed our slice of paradise and even happier you enjoyed the facilities such as the tennis court and of course our wonderfully relaxing massages!

Thank you again and see you soon we hope!

Reviewed September 14, 2012

Have just returned from a fantastic, memorable week at Samui Beach Village. Our 3 bed villa, Baan Fahsai exceeded our expectations-beautifully furnished and appointed, spacious and airy, a luxuriously relaxing haven! The pool area was set in a tropical paradise of flowers and palms.The staff are all so friendly and helpful with nothing being too much trouble. The leisure complex is a real bonus and was especially popular with our two teenage boys.They enjoyed playing tennis, table tennis and chilling with other teens they made friends with.We ate at the club restaurant regularly as the food was so delicious and reasonably priced.I can also recommend the spa-the most relaxing massage and facials I have ever experienced.We will definitely be back and will be suggesting to friends and family that they have to visit SBV.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Dear gillbleaslawson,

Thank you so very much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review about your stay with us at Samui Beach Village.

Fah Sai is indeed a stunning villa and we are thrilled that the villa, stay and overall facilities made your stay exceptional.

We hope we see you again sooner rather than later.

Reviewed September 12, 2012

We have just arrived back from a wonderful holiday which will stay with me for the rest of my life. We held our daughters wedding on the most amazing quiet beach with staff who could not have been more helpful, their assistance with all the finishing touches made it just perfect. I would recommend
Samui Beach Village, they even arranged a White party the night before the wedding in a lovely setting with lights food and drinks with a fantastic live band everyone had a great time, and with lots of us attending the wedding, we could all share the many luxury villas and also enjoy the rest of our holiday together.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Luke S, Manager at Shiva Samui, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2012

Dear BILLYTHEKID_11,

We love nothing more than knowing that we helped create an amazing day for your daughter on her special day. Our staff understand just how important a day like this is and go out of their way to ensure every single detail is given 100% and we are so glad your daughter's wedding was no exception.

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about it on Trip Advisor and we hope you all come back in a year's time to celebrate their 1st anniversary together!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Laem Set
ShaSa Resort & Residences, Koh Samui
Rocky's Boutique Resort
Rocky's Boutique Resort
#2 of 51 in Lamai Beach

Been to Shiva Samui? Share your experiences!