“Family vacation at Samui Beach Village” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shiva Samui

and 1 more site!
Shiva Samui
Singapore, Singapore
“Family vacation at Samui Beach Village”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2011

We had a great time with our 3 children at Samui Beach Village, our villa was lovely and suited us perfectly. Plenty of room and all the amenities we needed in a tranquil location.
The very helpful staff made a relaxing week for all of us, organizing of days out was easy, relaxing days in were also well catered.
We will certainly be back.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Malmo, Sweden
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2011

I feel the need to tell everyone about the experience that I have had with the UK sales team when enquiring about a long-term stay at Samui Beach Village:

We contacted a sales rep online to enquire about a long-term rental of 6-8 weeks in a 3-4 bedroom villa. The sales rep was kind to offer us Baan Buua, which is a 3 bedroom villa, for 6 weeks and would investigate if we could have a special rate due to the long-term stay. I asked to meet a specified rate and this was to include breakfast and housekeeping. A couple of days later, the sales rep returns and says ok to close the deal. The sales rep sends me an email confirming my reserveration of the Baan Buaa at the specified rate, arrival and departure dates and that it is including breakfast and housekeeping as agreed.

When reading through the terms and conditions I notice that the full rental amount is due 2 months before even setting foot on the premises and I ask if we can do something about this because the total cost for 6 weeks is quite a lot to pay up front. They return after a couple of days saying that we can change it so the full amount is due 1 month before arrival.

Now the fun begins! In the same mail, the sales rep informs me that the rate all of a sudden only includes 2 out of the 3 rooms in the property and if we want to use the entire house then it will be extra!! Imagine my surprise as the house is CLEARLY advertised as a 3 bedroom villa that I now will only get access to 2 rooms. (in other vacation villas it is common to see houses where you can decided on the amount of rooms you need and then pay accordingly - but this is always clearly mentioned in the house description and definetely in the rate section).

I write the sales rep to explain the situation and that by sending me a written confirmation of my reservation she has actually according to UK law made a legally binding offer to me that she should adhere to. The rental company is apparently not familiar with UK law and does not care to follow it so they continue to say that the cannot meet the previously quoted price and I ask what is the price then. The price now increases 20% and according to my calculations all but removes the discount I was offered due to the long-term rental.

The sales rep then quotes me a normal rate that is 10% higher than the standard rate at the web site. When confronted with the price being too high, she says that it is because of the 10% service fee not beeing included in the rate on the website. I then have to point her to the FAQ where it clearly states that the service fee is included.

At this point, I kindly turn down the offer as I do not believe that they are a trustworthy business to deal with.

In comes the big guns, Jane, who introduces herself as the manager of the Village and prides herself with having been in the business for 8 years. She contacts me to explain that the sales rep is new and that she did not know that the service charge was included (although it is the first point in the FAQ).

Secondly she mentions that the rates on the website are 2011 rates and not 2012 rates - please note that there is no mention on the website what year the rates apply to and again according to UK law this means that the rates stated are the applicable rates.

Jane continues to offer a free massage, free in house dinner (we have to pay for the food + 10% service charge - go figure) and free access to club house facilities (she quotes this to $15 a person, but the additional services offer I got, it is listed as $10). In relation to the cost of the village, the complementary things offered are peanuts although very nice to offer.

I kindly thank Jane for her offer to help us but also tell her that we have made up our mind and do not feel comfortable risking such a large amount of money and a 6 week vacation to a company which on several points have misled us. Jane tries one final attempt and offers us the additional room for free although it will mean they will loose all of their commission.

You could argue that this could have been a series of unfortunate mistakes happening at once resulting in me feeling tricked by the sales rep. BUT, I was actually in contact with another sales rep, Simon [--], back in June 2011 enquiring about a house during the same period and exactly the same thing happened then: we discussed a villa and I received a good offer but when getting concrete about the rental all of a sudden the rate was not available anymore.

So to all of you out there considering renting a villa at Samui Beach Village, please be aware that the price you get quoted will not be the final price you end up paying. The trick you out of additional money when they feel that you are sufficiently hooked on getting the villa. They deliberately do not adhere to UK sales laws and in my opinion have no sense of what good business practice and business ethics are. Be aware that you will need to pay the full rental 2 months in advance which mean that you put all of your money at risk and in case you are unhappy with the villa/service once you get to the villa then you have a horrible bargaining position as they already have received payment for their services and could care less about what you think (please read other reviews on this topic).

I have stayed at several 5 star resorts and hotels around around the world and I now that in a similar situation they would have accepted their mistake up front and simply have accepted the low rate as this is simply the cost of making mistakes and upholding 5 star quality and service.

PS. I have deliberately left the name of the initial sales rep out of this review as I will give her the benefit of the doubt that she indeed may be a new sales rep. But Simon and Jane are both seasoned in the business so I chose to mention them by name.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
13 Thank Michael V
Luke S, Manager at Shiva Samui, responded to this review, November 2, 2011
Dear Michael

I understand that although you did not actually stay with us at Samui Beach Village, you are unhappy with the service you received from our reservations department.

I am sorry that you feel this way, but must state that in over 8 years of running a luxury rental business we have never had a complaint like this before, and we have had several thousand happy and contented guests stay with us.

I feel that your experience can only best be described as an exceptional experience brought about by an extreme set of circumstances, which we will ensure never happens again.

We pride ourselves at Samui Beach Village in giving an outstanding service both during your booking process - of which we receive many extremely positive comments, and also during our guests stay on resort. And as you can see from the vast majority of excellent reviews we already have on Trip Advisor, we do have an excellent reputation.

I must state that although we try our very best to accommodate your request for exceptional discounts, we cannot always accommodate everyone’s extreme budget requirements

Please accept our apologies that we were not able to give you the rates/conditions you requested at this time, and we wish you a pleasant stay in Samui.

Kindest regards
Samui Beach Village Management team
Киев
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2011

To be honest, the villa itself was better we supposed to see - really how it's shown on the photos it was in real. Pleasant and quiet place, friendly stuff, taste food and meals. Everything was perfect, all we needed was gently advised by the personnel. I will definitely recommend this place to my friends.

Room Tip: Take villas on the first line to the sea.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2011

Stayed here for a few days with a friend while passing through Samui in September this year- safe to say we have never stayed anywhere as impressive as this. The villas themselves are indulgence at every level; the rooms are all massive and beautifully furnished with a gorgeous private pool and a practically deserted pictures beach at the doorstep. We were looked after the whole time and treated to some fabulous food and hospitality. We found the staff were very friendly and knowledgeable helping us sort of various trips such as diving. Suffice to say out of everywhere we stayed in Thailand which includes at least 6 other places, nowhere came close in terms of pure luxury, indulgence and relaxation. Very highly recommend!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank ben_242
Central Coast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2011

This was the first time my wife and I had been alone since the birth of our first child ten years ago... A second honeymoon! We were looking for a cost effective, yet idyllic experience similar to our honeymoon in Vanuatu. When researching our place to stay, we looked for somewhere that would be quiet, self-contained, yet close enough to the action that we could be in the thick of it if we felt the need. Samui offered this so we jumped at it!

From the moment we arrived, we were introduced to the Village surroundings by the general manager, Luke. Not only did he give us important travel and technical information, but he also gave us good advice on where to shop and eat. One thing that impressed me, Luke said he would arrange a scooter for our transport and within thirty minutes it had arrived! Whenever we asked for a service or information it was always prompt.

Eating in the Village restaurant was a pleasurable experience. The restaurant manager, Tony, was very inviting and personable. He made us laugh and gave us many anecdotal stories on Asian cuisine that made us think about the foods we were eating. The staff in Tony's restaurant were very charming, sharing many jokes. The food was outstanding.

Our room in the Ocean Villa's was charming. It had all the services we needed to be able to rest, sleep and chill. It was quiet and comfortable. I loved waking up in the morning and sitting on the balcony, staring at the ocean and lagoon. Some days I spent a few hours just sitting, staring or reading a book. Nights were quiet and relaxing. We had a quick dip in our private pool most nights before bed just to unwind.

Over the course of our stay there were a couple of weddings held in the Village. From our balcony, we watched a bride having photographs taken near a coconut palm outcrop. We were reminded of our own wedding and this gave us fond memories. People staying at the Village appeared relaxed and friendly. We had many conversations with a British family, a Russian family and a couple of Aussie families. Everyone was in the same mood as we were... Relaxed!

If anyone is considering a stay in Samui and likes to get away from the action, Samui Beach Village is the best place. We loved our stay and plan to return, alas, it won't be for a few years. Next time we plan on bringing our children. They will love this place as much as we did!

Special thanks to Luke, Fiona, Tony, Gong and Smiley in the bar.... You made our trip memorable. Craig and Sonya

Room Tip: Ocean Villas are quiet and have an outstanding uninterrupted view across the Gulf of Thailand. Close...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2011

We took our two children to Samui Beach Villas in September 2011. What a fabulous place to stay. Staff very friendly and location is quiet and in a great position.These villas are sheer indulgence! They are huge and beautifully furnished with every modern appliance that you could dream of having on a holiday.A gorgeous pool right outside the door, so nice you dont even have to leave the Villas, you dont need to, even has room service and a surperb breakfast delivered and set up in your Villa or next to the pool. A great safe place to take young kids. They will organise all tours and give you any advice you need and arrange airport pick ups, in fact nothing was to difficult for them.
If you ever want a fantastic holiday to remember, this is the place to stay. This place cannot improve on perfection, its paradise in every way, if you want the perfect holiday Samui Beach Villas is the place to go.

Room Tip: There aren't any bad rooms at Samui Beach Villas, all fantastic!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Brett I
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2011

My wife and I do a lot of travelling both in Australia and overseas. We find that at times our overseas holidays are very hectic and can be very stressful. Not so for our stay at Samui Beach Village. We had a truly relaxing time in a wonderful environment. We stayed in an Ocean Room with an amazing outlook to the sea. The staff were all very helpful and Fiona made sure that any of our requests were quickly attended to. We ate regularly in the restaurant and we found the restaurant manager, Vanessa, to be extremely helpful and informative. We strongly recommend Samui Beach Village to any person looking for a stressful free relaxing holiday in a serene surrounding.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,500 reviews
Banburee Resort & Spa
Banburee Resort & Spa
#3 of 3 in Laem Set

Been to Shiva Samui? Share your experiences!