Open today: 10:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Review Highlights
Amazing Castle

This is a must see attraction with gardens to the rear. You really feel like you have gone back in... read more

Reviewed November 26, 2018
Stephen P
A visit with a wheelchair user.

Reviewed September 12, 2018
Kate87200
Limoges, France

All reviews english translation tour guide spoke french taking place great tour written guide guide takes french tour interesting furniture open to the public car park chateau tale booklet journey stories period
Selected filters
Reviewed September 12, 2018

We arrived in time for a morning tour. The young lady and guide who greeted us was very helpful. My Dad is elderly, unsteady on his feet and cannot walk far so we use a wheelchair when we can. The Chateau Is not easily accessible by wheelchair but the guide did everything she could to enable us to see the Chateau, inside and out. The Guide was so friendly and very organised.
We visited the top level of the gardens which are lovely. Dad had to keep getting in and out of his chair, I had to fold it to get it through some tight doorways or over bummpy old cobblers but it worked out for us. I think you have to be practical and realize that at the time the Chateau was built, wheelchairs were not around!!
We followed behind the Tour at the start with our English guide book. We then toured a few of the ground floor rooms at our own pace, which was sufficient for us, and we thorough enjoyed our morning out.
The Chateau is beautiful, has some great stories to tell from the past and the rooms we saw were really well presented, especially the kitchen . Very interesting. Shouldn't be missed.

Date of experience: September 2018
Reviewed September 4, 2018

At the risk of sounding an old misery, Wasn't sure about the visit as in my experience some of these chateau's can be a bit under whelming. What made this was the building itself rather than the contents, Good gardens -- a bit spoilt be the long hot summer unfortunately.

Reviewed August 30, 2018 via mobile

We arrived when a tour was already underway. Equipped with an English word document we caught up with the tour guide, in a room so small we couldn't get in. The guide spoke so quickly in French that we couldn't follow and it was very difficult to locate in the printed guide where we were. My wife and I left the tour and she studied the guide, still unclear as to where we were. I wandered off to see what I could see and met a charming lady in the stable. My wife caught up and she encouraged us to rejoin the tour. At this point we were accosted by the owner who informed us that he had been watching us, that this was private property, that photography of the interiors was forbidden (not that that stopped others on the tour) and the only way we could see the chateau was by guided tour.
This affected our enjoyment negatively and my wife, in particular, felt much inhibited and I had to ask, at her behest, whether we were allowed to tour the gardens. The owner was anxious to reassure us that we could. However it was too much and my wife just felt very unhappy that we had been encouraged to join a French guide, mid tour, and then made to feel unwelcome when we wanted to go it alone.
So my advice: don't trust the website. It was 9 euros. Not 8.50 as advertised. Be prepared to find out the time of tours. Don't expect to be allowed any freedom to explore.
I won't be going back or advising any guests to visit - there are other chateaux.

1  Thank davidmake
Reviewed August 13, 2018

The first thing to say about this chateau is that it is a good place to visit, especially with a camera, and a visit will take approximately three hours at a slow pace, but could easily be done a lot quicker.

The Chateau de Jumilhac is a staggeringly large and magnificent structure however the areas accessible inside are quite limited, albeit beautifully presented. When we went there was no English tour so we were provided with a booklet with the English commentary on the tour which we could follow by ourselves, reading aloud what was written. A nice touch was that the official French tour group would wait, in a friendly and encouraging manner, for us to finish completing a room before moving in to resume their own tour.

The garden is more of the same, very idyllic and extremely photogenic however strangely smaller then I was expecting, which it transpires was due to the ground being sold off many years ago. This also has a separate written guide in English which you can pick up and follow as you progress aroundb this area.

Overall I would recommend this place as a nice place to visit for a relaxed afternoon.

1  Thank adapotatoboy
Reviewed August 13, 2018

We arrived and were told that a tour in French would be taking place in 15 mins and that we would be given guides in enlgish to read. Fair enough. However, after 10 mins we were then told that we could have a tour in English (a Dutch family had since arrived so maybe the numbers warranted this) and so we had a great tour given by a wonderful young lady who spoke very good english, had a great sense of humour and who answered my sons many questions willingly! This chateau has undergone many changes/renovations/rebuilds but remains interesting and wortha visit.

Date of experience: July 2018