“Not the experience we had hoped for”
Review of Milford Bistro

Milford Bistro
Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Milford
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: showing visitors to the County the wineries, breweries, cheese and vegetable producers and the cidery
Toronto, Canada
“Not the experience we had hoped for”
Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

After the closure of Harvest a while back (which was decidedly the best resto in Prince Edward County), we decided to do a bit of research for the next best thing. Encouraged by good TA reviews, we headed to Milford Bistro. The place was fairly quiet, with only another couple having dinner. The menu is fixed price for either 3 or 4 courses: my wife had a smoked shrimp starter, definitively different and very good, while I had a ginger carrot soup that was very average and quite tasteless. For mains, I had a very tough and tasteless flank steak, supposedly medium rare, but more on the well done side, the whole sitting on a bed of puréed eggplant that again lacked taste and was way too emulsified. My wife's salmon was equally average. Dessert was also poor, my panna cotta was very gelatinous and bland, lacking all the richness and delicacy typical of this dish, while my wife's strawberries and whipped cream were tasteless and again mediocre at best. Total with tip came to nearly $100, which I'm happy to pay for a good meal, but in this case it was truly inadequate. Apparently ownership is about to change, hopefully the next proprietors will do a better job in the kitchen. It saddens me to sound so mean in what is clearly a charming little place in a beautiful region, but I really can't excuse our meals here tonight.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Maurizio_and_Jill

Toronto
“worth the trip to Milford”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

This charming bistro has character (pithy blackboard quotes and local art on the walls), intimacy, warmth, wonderful food, interesting local wines and friendly, helpful service. We had the prix fixe menu which on that night included choices such as local perch, duck, heirloom vegetables, and fantastic desserts. The local wine list is a treat: we had a pinot noir blanc from Exultet (latest award-winning winery from PEC), made with pinot noir grapes sans skins: so - white colour, served chilled, with a red wine taste ... intriguing! Milford Bistro has everything and more that other popular Country restaurants do, with the bonus of being simply the most lovely, laid-back dining experience we've had in PEC in 7 years ... we'll be back. If you go, you'll need a reservation.

Ottawa
“Great food in a relaxed atmosphere”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We have eaten at many restaurants (good and bad) all over the world and this will stand out as one of our most memorable and pleasant dining experiences. From what I could tell this is one of the only businesses (if not buildings) in Millford which is really just a junction of country roads outside Picton. They seat only 7 or 8 tables at a time so reservations are a must on weekends. The menu is fairly small but has some great choices featuring seasonal and local food and local wines (which are surprisingly good). We enjoyed everything we tried and I have no complaints at all about the food, but it is really the friendly and relaxed atmosphere of the restaurant, the hosts and the other patrons that make this place special. People at various tables were chatting amongst each other and introducing themselves to one another. The restaurant has just been purchased by a new owner named Michael who will quickly feel like an old friend of yours after a few minutes of chatting. All in all, just a unique, fun and enjoyable experience. We will go back as often as possible.

Mexico City, Mexico
“Hidden Gem!”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

You really have to know where the Milford Bistro is, a destination. Located on a pretty back country road about 15 minutes from the town of Picton.
I had eaten at the Bistro 3 years ago, read recent tripadvisor reviews and wanted to return. I made reservations for a 7pm dinner (reservations highly recommended) for my Mom's 70th Birthday. When we arrived there were 3 tables left out of a total 14. That's a good sign!
The food is very very good. Asparagus soup with shaved parmesan & goat cheese filled phyllo both were delicious and not overfilling.
We both ate yellow perch with quinoa for our main meal. The presentation was nice and the fish light with a zesty lemon reduction.
Dessert, rhubarb ice creme which the owner had made that day. Delicious and silky, just the right amount. My mother had meringues which were flavoured with geranium and raspberries, although tasty the flavour was quite overwhelming, I would not recommend that dish.
The owner recommended a nice bottle of white wine from the area.
the atmosphere is good and I think there are a lot of return customers. Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves and there was no push to leave.
Would I return, yes every time I visit Picton.
The owner told us he just sold the restaurant but is staying on for 6 more weeks, so it shall be interesting to see what happens. The new owner was also there and introduced himself to everyone. Great place and worth the drive.

Antwerp
“Things Just keep getting better”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We have been able to enjoy the fine cuisine and excellent service offered by the Milford Bistro and its' owner Chris since its inception. Each year they re-invent themselves with new approaches and dishes. This year the innovative fixed price menu offers a superior taste delight. Presentation preparation and flavour are first rate. However spend some time with the wine list which highlights the wineries close to the restaurant. Both the selection and price will be a great surprise
This is a gem of a place well worth the drive