“Still A Surprise One Year Later” 5 of 5 bubbles

Milford Bistro
Ranked #2 of 3 Restaurants in Milford
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff
Description: Serving up the best food in the county! Our emphasis is the farm to fork philosophy with sourcing our ingredients from local suppliers, farmers and producers.
Toronto
“Still A Surprise One Year Later”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

This time around I was driving from Kingston to Toronto. I made the effort to drive the 43 minutes down and back just to have lunch at this place that I liked and reviewed a year ago. I was not wrong, it was worth each and every minute of the detour.

Had lunch. The lunch menu is a sandwich menu, on the small portion side. We had the Bistro Burger, the Q's Milford Cheese Steak and the Pasta with Local Lamb Sausage. Heavenly rich taste a joy with each and every bite. Its one of those places that you wish the sandwich never ends. I had the Cheese Steak, thought it to be on the small side with coleslaw on the side, it turned out to be just right. It was full of meat and rich with taste. It had a sort of mashed-potato mix with cheese and other ingredient that I could not figure out, but what a great sandwich.

We ordered two desserts, the Ice cream with a cookie, which was fine and another delightful surprise, a group of meringue with whip cream, raisins and a dash of rum. This dessert was taste-bud joy, a must in my opinion.

I enjoyed this place a year ago and I enjoyed it this year yet again. Mind you, the chef has changed during the year lapse, yet the taste is tops, meaning the owner has a culinary edge to his chef choice. It proves the place is dependable. Highly recommended.

Should you change your route and make a 45 minuted drive back and forth off the highway ? Well I was crazy enough to do it and I loved it.
What could be better than indulgence ?

I posted some photos for you to view.

• Visited September 2012

Kingston, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“You must eat here”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

The food was out of this world - I've eaten at five star restaurants all over the world and this little bistro in Milford ranks near the top. The owner's emphasis on seasonal, local, fresh ingredients translates into a fantastic meal. He also chooses the cream of the crop from St. Lawrence College's culinary program to craft the dishes. My husband and I had a wonderful time here - we felt more like we were over at a friend's house for dinner that at a stuffy uppity restaurant. Genuine kindness from the owner and servers, a chance to meet and talk with the chefs, topped off by indulging in a fantastic meal (the lamb was slaughtered the day before!) left us wondering "how soon until we can return?" HIGHLY recommend. A hidden gem.

Food we enjoyed: fried feta crouton appetizer, ravioli, lamb, creme brulee.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Leanne R
Toronto, Canada
“Very nice bistro”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

Disclaimer - I only had wine and tapas here so my review is limited, however, what I did have was wonderful. The staff are very friendly and fun, the tapas was delicious - particularly the salad of Vicki's Veggies. I really appreciate that the owner of the bistro is a locavore and this really makes sense in PE County as the local produce and products are very good. It is also a wonderful looking Cafe / Bistro - very comfortable. I am going to make the drive to have dinner next. PE County is a great place to visit and I would recommend stopping at the Milford Bistro after a "hard" day of wine tasting.

1 Thank circumventor
Picton, Canada
“Absolutely excellent, for a price.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

This was absolutely the best meal I've had in a long time. Not too much on the plate, but enough to satisfy a hungry 20-something. Chicken isn't listed as local, but it was once the owner's own. I suppose it still was, just rather than running around, it was on a plate in a delicious sauce and the meat just dripped off the bones. I ususally eat vegetarian except for when there's local produce around (and I took a risk on this one). They only sell local wines, and the chardonnay I had was from down the road, and great, with a beautiful golden colour. Owner/waiter was a great person to talk to, a wealth of information and knowledge, and the atmosphere was relaxing, engaging, and professional. Certainly seems out of place in Milford! (But not in the County). Owner is very person- and team-oriented and views the county as a team of people working together, which makes me want to support his business even more, in addition to the fact that they go out of their way to support the County food culture. A chicken dinner, a fish dinner, two glasses of local wine, and a scoop of both plum ice cream and honey ice cream totalled $92. But I don't regret any of it. I also didn't pay for it :-) But don't let that stop you, you won't regret it a bit, so long as you're not collecting money from beneath drive throughs to pay for it!

1 Thank they_were_seen
Montreal, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“You must go here”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

My husband and I took the kids here for dinner - we didn't know much about the place other than that they had lunch burgers. Thankfully the kids were really good because we enjoyed a superb meal here. No kidding, this was one of the best meals we've ever had - loved the ambiance, the host/waiter/owner was really attentive even though he was so busy. He was very helpful and knowledgeable with the local wines, we followed his advice and now have a new favourite. We loved it so much we went to the vineyard the next day and bought a case. Can't say enough about the Milford bistro, thanks for having us and for the delicious food and hope to see you again soon.

1 Thank sarah f