“Best meatballs in the world!”

Operakallarens Bakficka
Ranked #62 of 3,347 Restaurants in Stockholm
Cuisines: Swedish
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch
Neighborhood: Norrmalm
Reviewed September 3, 2012

My husband and I ate at Operakallarens bakficka for lunch on our first day in Stockholm. We both ordered the Swedish meatballs with the mashed potatoes. The meatballs were by far the best we've ever had (sorry grandma.) We loved our lunch so much, we decided to go back one more time for more meatballs before our flight back to Chicago. Service was great too! Highly recommended!

1  Thank JenRey78

Reviewed September 2, 2012

I wondered how good meatballs could be. How could Swedish meatballs be different from the rest of the world? Having read Bakfickan was the place to try them tempted me and I'm glad I did.

I don't eat meatballs regularly. In fact this is the only Swedish type I have had. But they are very different to the usual. The meat is delicate and almost creamy in texture. I'm not sure how they do it - I can only assume the meat is minced so finely the grain and texture becomes smooth. The berries and pickled cucumber that come with it provides great contrast.

The complementary bread is tasty too, if that matters to you. Price is decent compared to what is around here.

Try the meatballs here - what else can I say...

1  Thank weiyunmak
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Coffee was fantastic sitting outside on the terrace (and inexpensive). But sitting in the bar was a glorious taste of old Europe...artistry on the ceilings, walls, and carvings. Old style service in white jackets. a lovely setting

Reviewed August 25, 2012

very good food, nice place for spotting local celebrities, crowded at lunch time, artists, journalists, authors and politicians can be seen here

Reviewed August 24, 2012

I found this restaurant through trip advisor and can gladly say the ratings were spot on. I thoroughly enjoyed my meal and would recommend this fine restaurant to anybody looking for a quality meal.
It was a Thursday night with poor weather so there were no issues finding a barstool, and the service was quick, professional and with a smile!
I tried the Swedish Meatballs and was impressed. This is the favourite meal of the trip thus far!