“Slow service at a premium”

Mathias Dahlgrens Rutabaga
Ranked #84 of 3,255 Restaurants in Stockholm
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Norrmalm
Description: Matsalen is a modern gastronomic restaurant. Our cuisine is based on using the best fresh produce available here and now in Sweden and other parts of the world, spiced with curiosity and inspiration from everything we encounter. "The natural cuisine" is a menu that changes with nature and the seasons. We pair wine, beer and other beverages with each of the dishes we create. All the producers we work with are meticulously selected, they produce something we like. Our menu and drink offering - like the fresh produce - are living and change with the time of the year.
Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

I have read some reviews that it takes over 4 to 4.5 hours to complete the degustation menu, and It was true. restaurant was a bit too dimly lighted , towards middle of dinner, I find that I was running out of patience and felt tired. The food was quite good but not surprisingly special. Some items in the menu was really good and bread must not be missed but today I tried another Michellin star restaurant and find that Matsalen didn't do as well in ingredients mixing.
I would like the meal will be slightly faster maybe an hour less is less tiring.

1  Thank Kit L

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Informal atmosphere with innovative food...herring, sour cream balls with chopped almonds, red onion and apples, 5 green salad with flowers (choice of grapeseed oil, chardonnay vinegar) etc. Everything's delicious!Outside dining provides beautiful view of the Stockholm harbor and if it gets chilly they have soft wraps to keep you warm!

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Another one of the highly rated Nordic restaurants that fails to please. It is better than Noma because it only has 10 tasteless courses instead of 20. The wine list is limited because they recommend a wine pairings. Those were even worst than the food. They were all "natural wines". I guess that means without taste. I only had a sip of each.

The service was excellent

1  Thank tom d
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

Whoa! Get your heads out of your rear ends people! We dined at the Food bar, after an entertaining online video, we expected more. The waiters are creeps, the food is basic and service is very poor! Absolutely terrible. I don't know if the dining room experience is different but stay away from the food bar. They suck!

1  Thank bk_indigo
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We had a good time, but maybe our expectations were a bit too high. Honestly this was a 3.5 but I'm rounding up.

Food: The pork buns were really good, as others have mentioned. My wife enjoyed the coalfish with bleak roe. The ground ribeye dish was rich and tasty, but a little boring. Same for the chocolate fondant.

Service was professional.

Ambiance was sleek, minimal design.

Overall it was good, not out of this world. As with most Michelin star restaurants, it is very expensive (and we are used to expensive), just not a good value.