“Expensive but worth it.”

Mathias Dahlgrens Rutabaga
Ranked #84 of 3,255 Restaurants in Stockholm
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Norrmalm
Description: Matsalen is a modern gastronomic restaurant. Our cuisine is based on using the best fresh produce available here and now in Sweden and other parts of the world, spiced with curiosity and inspiration from everything we encounter. "The natural cuisine" is a menu that changes with nature and the seasons. We pair wine, beer and other beverages with each of the dishes we create. All the producers we work with are meticulously selected, they produce something we like. Our menu and drink offering - like the fresh produce - are living and change with the time of the year.
Reviewed November 11, 2012

A once of a lifetime experience. Arrived early and the staff was happy to accommodate. Had the Matsalen - chose the natural menu as opposed to the mushroom menu. It was a 4 hour meal marathon. There were ups and downs -but more ups. Have to be experienced to be believed. Lots of surprises. Service was immaculate to the point of nervousness. Met another couple sitting adjacent to us who were celebrating their anniversary. Lovely.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

I can agree that the food is according to standard, I mean really it was good.
However I think the service is far below what you can expect in such a restaurant. We ordered a drink prior to the meal and made the mistake to order the food (on waiter's demand) a couple of minutes after. We were served the first course fairly quick which for us ended up in receiving both the drink and first dish almost at the same time... I think the waiter realised her mistake when she asked "You continue with champagne I guess ?", hmm champagne with roe deer, not sure but I guess I have to take it?!!?...
We were out of the restaurant 1 hours and 3 courses later feeling like, OK that was fast but was it really nice?

If you go to this restaurant, drive the waiters and decide everyting for them. Don't assume they know how to do their job !

Reviewed October 23, 2012

Famous chef, great service, but far too complicated food. They use cheap ingredients, but charge you a fortune. Some dishes were great, but others just strange. It wasn't value for money. There are other restaurants in Stockholm offering less adventures food, but give you more bang for the bucks. We will not visit this restaruant again.

3  Thank AdTrosa
Reviewed October 23, 2012

After seeing Mathias Dahlgren on the Top 100 restaurants in the world, I was keen to try it on my trip to Stockholm. I chose the more casual 'food bar' side and was very happy with this decision. The decor is trendy and unique and the restaurant has a great atmosphere. There are a number of tables, at the bar, high tables with stools for pairs and normal tables for pairs or groups. We had a very friendly and knowledgeable Australian waitress who had a lot of conviction with her suggestions and never faulted.
The concept of the food bar is to have 3-5 dishes each. You order your first choice, the meal takes 5-10 minutes, you order your next choice, etc until you are full.
There were no disappointing meals and our favourite dishes were the open sandwich of roe deer with wild mushrooms, spinach and parsley and the "steamed beef bun" with hot sauce and picked cucumber. My husband loved the beef bun so much he ordered a second serving. I would recommend starting with some lighter seafood dishes and moving on to the heavier meat dishes and finishing with dessert.
In terms of drinks, there are a number of local beers available or you can try Mathias' own brew. We also had a bottle of German riesling which was well priced.
Not a cheap evening but well worth the money and highly recommended!

Reviewed October 17, 2012

We ordered the 8 course tasting menu but in reality there were closer to 12 courses with several 'snacks' coming before the proper menu and the desert was divided into 2 or 3 course.

The food I would describe as 'very small portions of something you have had lots of times before in much cheaper restaurants, and no better'. The only thing on the menu we really liked was the 'Scandinavia Sashimi'. Everything else was just 'nice' but pretty forgettable. Staff we ok but a bit snobbish. When we arrived a waitress said 'can I get you a glass of Champagne to begin with', I asked to see the 'drinks menu' and she replied 'we don't have a drinks menu here only a wine list'. Then she showed me a menu (all menus were on a ipad type computer on the table) which had wine, beer, tea, soft drinks, juice etc. How is that not a drinks menu? Even though there was a large number of courses, they were so small that we were barely full. It was really just the same quantity as a small meal.