“A hotel in the heart of town with clean environment and friendly atmosphere”

Sheraton Stockholm Hotel
Ranked #26 of 155 Hotels in Stockholm
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Friendly staff , decent hospitality .these are the main characteristics for a place to live and sheraton Stockholm is the one which is worth to stay.i enjoyed my stay in all respect. The club lounge is dream full place ,well decorated with delicious food for every one and when i explained before the beautifull and civilised staff that m is a vegetarian guy , she was so kind to manage and same was the best situation for every meal.

• Stayed: July 2013
Igor B, General Manager at Sheraton Stockholm Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Dear Mazharg,

We are in receipt of your review and thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us here at the Sheraton Stockholm Hotel.

I am especially pleased that we found a variety of options to satisfy your dietary needs. We cater to all kinds of needs - from vegetarian, gluten free, kosher and other requests. Our Executive Chef Markus will go out of his way to meet your expectations.

Best regards and we look forward to have you back.

igor.buercher@sheraton.com

Write a ReviewReviews (3,670)

Reviewed July 21, 2013

I had already been in this hotel in year 2005 and I can confirm that it still is a solid choice.

If you arrive by car, you just turn right when in front of the hotel and enter the car park from Vasagatan.
There was a pay&display system based on a machine that accepts credit cards.
There also was a disabled pay-on-exit system with barriers, but I do not know whether it was being decommissioned in favor of "pay&display" or vice-versa (which I would prefer).
Price was very high, but we are in central Stockholm: 400SEK/24h, 96SEK/h

From the car park you have a lift to the lobby.
When going back to the garage, you must take the dedicated lift from the lobby: all lifts have the "garage" button, but it is disabled.

Check in was quick, I was recognized as SPG member and assigned a room on a SPG floor.

I reserved the standard room, so I just expected a standard 4 star room.
Rooms with a view sell for a premium, but rooms that face the internal courtyards are very quiet.
My room on the 5th floor looked into a courtyard and was extremely quiet.
The floor was wooden parquet.
The room and the bathroom were large enough, approximately 30sqm I suppose.
The room decor was fine, everything in good order, many mirrors, many lamps, very good lighting.
The large king bed was immaculately clean white; no useless and hygienically questionable decorations, just the duvet and 2x2 pillows.
The bed prooved very comfortable.
There was a wardrobe, an automatic minibar with both drinks and snacks, a kettle, a large desk integrated with a large luggage stand and some closed shelves and drawers.
The electronic laptop-size safe in the wardrobe was mains powered and an euro-shuko socket for 100W max was available inside.
The door had both a lock and a safety latch.
The 32" TV had many international channels.
On the desk a socket was available in euro-shuko, UK, US standards.
Internet (included in my rate) was available both wireless and wired, was good speed and VoIP worked well.
Air conditioning was individually controllable but only with the fan speed, not with a thermostat.
The telephone could be used as speakerphone or with a DECT wireless unit.
The chair at the desk had no wheels, but there was no need to move because of the disposition of the furniture: a night stand was against the right part of the desk.
There also were 2 armchairs, a small round table and an ottoman.
There were bathrobes and slippers.

The bathroom had a sliding door and most walls covered in marble, but the sink facing one had a quite strange appearance, as if the tiles had been reversed with the back in view; if the effect was intended, it is quite strange.
There was a walk-in shower, however there was no fixed head but just one medium-size hand-held one with a support fixed almost in the corner.
Given the deep water mixer and the awkward position of the shower head, it was not the best possible shower.
No wonder the integrated soap support was unstable: it is difficult not to bump it while intercepting the water in a small zone of the large shower.
A better shower head would make a difference and valorize the large walk-in shower.
Also the floor had not the necessary slope, so the external part of the shower floor (distant from drain) had the tendency to remain very wet instead of letting water into the drain.
The TV audio was repeated in the bathroom, with volume control.
The toilet paper was of the "long and thin" type, not exactly the best one, at least it was smooth.
There were two hair dryers: one in the bathroom, the other one in a drawer in the bedroom.

Room service menu was extensive, there was something for everyone, including meat, fish and various kinds of pasta and pizza.
Service was sufficiently accurate with good presentation.
The food was also good.

Breakfast had a lot of hot items but was a bit lacking for cold "continental type" things.
There were no pastries, just one type of croissant.
Also no packaged yoghurts.
Regarding fruits, there were pieces of thin slices of melons, water melon and pineapple (all with outside skin) ordinately put on trays.

All in all this is a very good hotel with great service in a very good location in central Stockholm, a few steps from all the touristic places like the Town Hall, the old quarter, the Royal Palace, the Parliament, the main railway station and the pedestrian shopping street.

I think it well deserves 4 tripadvisor stars.

Room Tip: If you want a view, get the more expensive rate. If you don't mind a view, rooms looking into t...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Dear Alberto P,

Thank you for your return visit and your very detailed report regarding your recent stay with us here at the Sheraton Stockholm Hotel. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know.

Much has changed since 2005 in the hotel and I am glad to hear both then and now it is a solid choice in your opinion. Our hotel is the first Sheraton Hotel that opened in Europe back in 1971 and we are proud to serve our customers for over 40 years now.

We hope to see you soon again.

Best regards,

Reviewed July 19, 2013

My husband and I settled on two nights at this property before a Baltic cruise. The hotel is centrally located for all nice sightseeing in the old town area. It is located just down from the train station, so it's easy to take the train from the airport to this hotel no matter what stage of jet lag you are in. There was a little confusion at check-in as to what location in the hotel (courtyard view) and bed type that we wanted, but the young lady behind the front desk went above and beyond the call of duty to make sure that we were happy with our room. Buffet breakfast was exceptional by American standards, yet a bit pricey. You could easily fill up for breakfast and have an early dinner. Bar was very nice, yet drinks were very measured! Nice sandwich and coffee shop in the lobby which is attached to the hotel if you are in a pinch. Busy, busy hotel with good security -- room key gets the elevator moving. Lake is across the street with sight-seeing excursions. One caveat -- our room did not have room darkening drapes -- a bit odd in the land of the midnight sun. If you want your room pitch-black, you'll have to figure out a way to do it. All in all, we would stay there again, if only for the location and the amenities that Americans are used to! Good, helpful staff in a very busy hotel!

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be very nice to stay in. Beds were fantastic to sleep in -- we had a courtyard fa...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Igor B, General Manager at Sheraton Stockholm Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2013

Dear HotelSnob2003,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am especially pleased to hear that our staff was helpful to your needs.

I will check with Housekeeping regarding the black out shades. Of course, we should have them in every single room. Our apologies for that.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

The hotel is in a walking distance from the Old City, shopping malls and about half an hour walk from the Skansen and the museums' region (But you can have a shorter journey with a boat).

The rooms were spacious and as seen on the Sheraton's site with wonderful 2 queen size beds-one for each person.

Breakfast was great, but on the weekend was too crowded. That's the only down side in the hotel. We also enjoyed a dinner in 360 restaurant that had great food and service with price list similar to nice bistros in the city center.

The lobby offered a business center including computers with a high speed internet connection with an option to print free of charge.

The service in the hotel was perfect-in the reception, bar and restaurant. Though all the employees at the reception were kind and helpful and always equipped us with a city map and accurate directions to touristic destinations, shopping malls and etc. I must mention Charlotte who gave a magnificent service several times.

This will be my hotel in my next visit in beautiful Stockholm.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Stormvind
Igor B, General Manager at Sheraton Stockholm Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Dear Stormvind,

How nice to see that you took the time to comment on your visit to us here at the Sheraton Stockholm Hotel, in May 2013. I think your review speaks for itself and gives an excellent description of our hotel, and Stockholm as destination. Great tips!

Thank you for your warming words: perfect, kind and helpful. Through these words you point out what staying at the Sheraton Stockholm Hotel should be all about. Charlotte sends a special thank you and we all sincerely hope you will return to us one day. When it is time for a new visit; please do not hesitate to let me and my team know, and I will arrange something extra for you.

Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

I agree with the previous reviewer - the check in process leaves a very poor first impression and if we hadn't prepaid or been here because of the cruise we booked I would've walked out. We arrived at 7.00pm - not a time you would think to be a problem. Only one girl at the counter, dealing with a difficult customer enquiry. No eye contact, nor from the porter standing with her. At least 15 minutes before anyone else showed up, and then problems with our reservation (miscommunication with our travel agent). Then the porter offers to help with our bags! Breakfast is satisfactory, rooms are fine, view is nice, bed a bit soft but okay, clean. I notice the manager only responds to glowing reviews!

• Stayed: July 2013

Dear LouiseWalters,

Thank you for reaching out to us via Tripadvisor. It is with mixed feelings I read your review and I took the liberty to check your reservation (from your user name).

These summer days are busy days and although we love the atmosphere and love to serve all our fantastic guests fast and efficient, it can happen that our receptionists must leave the reception desk to assist somewhere else in the lobby. This however does not excuse that you did not feel like a valued customer, and that no eye contact was made from our team members. I have brought it up with the team who was on duty in the evening, and will follow up further.

With regards to your last comment, I do not agree. If you scroll down you can see that I personally reply to all comments and reviews here on Tripadvisor. I would once again like to emphasize that without feedback form our guests we would not be able to improve and adopt.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

Stopped here for 2 nights, The rooms were large, nice and quiet and the location is great - just opposite the station and the old town. Breakfast was rather disappointing, a reasonable choice but obviously geared more for people from the US (who to be fair did seem to be most of the guests) than for people who wanted to eat Scandinavian food. The service was terrible - as an example, we rang to ask why our water had not been replaced at 5PM, were told room service was on its way but when we rang again at 11PM they had no idea why it had not come. Breakfast service very slow too. The one member of staff who was really helpful was the concierge, Steve Watson, who recommended a variety of bars and restaurants in the old town and gave us a detailed set of directions to look at them- both the ones we ate at were excellent.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Igor B, General Manager at Sheraton Stockholm Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Dear Yappie1955

Thank you for taking the time to put your comments here on Tripadvisor. We appreciate all feedback, although it is sad to read that we did not fully manage to live up to your expectations this time. It is especially the part about our breakfast service that alerts me and I have brought these points up with the restaurant team.

Regarding the comment on the Scandinavian breakfast food, I am curious to find out more. I discussed it this morning with our Head Chef just to check again and I believe we still have e. g. salmon, pickled herring, rye bread and cinnamon rolls (my personal favorite). Also a selection of Swedish tea and coffee is available. Please feel free to contact me directly and let me know if there is something special you have in mind.

I hope you will have a new chance to visit us and when it is time, please do not hesitate to let me know. I will make sure we take good care of you.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

When they say location is everything, they really mean it for this hotel. It really lives up to the marketing campaigns as it is really in the heart of everything. Rooms were large by Europe standards and they did accommodate the need for US plugs, etc. The taxi from the airport is quite expensive but the alternative isn't that great. The bus to Arlanda isn't cheap and if you have a family of three or more, you may as well take a taxi so that you don't have to walk from the train station with your bags. Food and dining options are fine but very expensive compared to the US but this isn't just Sheraton, it is Sweden in general.
We found that the central area was small enought that you didn't really need the bus and metro tickets and even if you did, the one way fares weren't that bad.
I would also recommend the Under The Bridges Tour on the water if you have the time as it gives a great view of the city and canal system. The musuems and palace are all within easy walking distance.

Frustrations: I was contacted by Sheraton a month in advance if I wanted to upgrade to the Concierge Floor and when I replied yes, they told me it was sold out. Pardon the sarcasm but why did you invite me to upgrade and then tell me that it wasn't available - doesn't speak well for you as a first impression.
Check-in was just short of suicidal. On the morning we checked in there was one person working and yet there was other staff making sure we were all in line and apologizing for the delay but not really doing much to change the outcome. The lobby is quite small and there is no organized line for check-in and people were confused as to check-in and check-out as they were all merging together. We had prepaid for the night before to make sure we got our room early for some rest so you can imagine the hour to hour and fifteen minute wait to just get to the checkin counter was a pisser.
Internet signal was mixed - sometimes ok but often not great unless you went to the lobby which was quite crowded.
Lastly, trying to find real Swedish food was a puzzler. No problem finding McDonalds, Thai Food, Japanese Food (lots of Asian restaurants), Pizza, etc but not a lot of Swedish.
I would stay at the hotel again whether on business or pleasure but would likely try to get the upgrade a bit more forcibly if I could as it is a good deal when you see the cost of food and drink. As for the check-in, maybe the management will be able to address.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Dear Jbshkg,

Thank you very much for your review and your detailed description of your stay. Feedback is extremely important to us, and I can assure you that I personally take part of all comments and suggestions that comes from our guests. The team and I are following up everything that is referred to here on Tripadvisor and other forums.

Our hotel is always busy during the summer time, and most of the time our lobby is buzzing with guests and visitors, just as it should be! However, this might also mean that certain room categories are sold out and at times there can become bit of a queue. I assure you that this is something we are always looking at, in order to be able improve in best possible way.

To pre-book the room one day night before the actual arrival day is a very good idea. This allows you to check in when you arrive; earlier than the actual check in time, which starts at 3 pm.

Once again, thank you for sharing your thoughts and if there is anything else you would like to bring forward, please feel free to do so.