“Avoid”

Ranked #143 of 155 Hotels in Stockholm
Stockholm
“Avoid”
Reviewed April 7, 2010

Avoid Vastberga Hotel Hagersten. The rooms are tiny - think prison cell size. The rooms are of low build quality with water damaged ceilings. Most rooms have a communal bathroom. Even the rooms with bathrooms are small. The beds are single sized beds and did not even have a bedhead. Extremely small TV with no channel selection (no cable TV or even CNN/Discovery channel)! Despite as advertised, the rooms do not have: Alarm Clock, Microwave Oven, Telephone, Radio, Kitchenette, or a Refrigerator - no space to fit all this. The "high speed" internet access is wireless and thus intermit - if it is working, the signal is too low/weak to use reliably. As for the hotel "facilities", there is no Concierge, the Lift is a Goods/Service lift, and there are no Parking Facilities, Room Service, Tour Desk or Cafe. The Laundry Service is a pay and do it yourself task. The Business Centre and Conference Facilities are where you eat breakfast (if you dare). Even if I was a backpacker, I would avoid this rat trap. In summary, Vastberga Hotel Hagersten is one confused Hotel - it can not decide if it is business class hotel, a hotel for vacationers, or a Hostel for backpackers. I wish I could give a negative star rating!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank CupAJoey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Liverpool UK
Reviewed February 16, 2010

Arrived late, after midnight, into Stockholm Airport, 40 kilometers from Stockholm central. Decision whether to take express train, £24 each for single, taxi £49 to central stockholm or bus £12 each for single. Decided on coach. Coach dropped us in central stockholm, picked up taxi to Vastberga, costing £39! not in central stockholm but in outskirts, and seemed to be an industrial area.
Arrived at hotel had to use an intercom to contact a different hotel to gain entrance, which was no where near as easy as it sounds! Managed to get access from another patron of the hotel, who also told us where to find the keys for our room, in a safe on the wall, and managed to remember the code for the safe, are all swedish ridiculously clever? Got to room, more by good luck than anything else, which was clean, but not asthetically pleasing. Had a flatscreen telly and ensuite with reasonable shower and bed, despite being soft, was quite comfortable.
Breakfast was limited but ok, and we left the hotel straight afterwards.
I would recommend looking at the prices of the hotels in the centre and then factoring in the costs of the taxis to this hotel before making a decision on where to stay.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel

2 Thank Will_30something

Travelers are raving about these Stockholm hotels

Galway
Reviewed August 9, 2009

I paid €140 per room per night for what I can only call sub-standard accommodation. I booked through Ebookers which let me down.The price qouted was €140 per room per night. I went ahead with booking. Agent did inform me that it was a little outside city which I was ok with.

On our arrival to the hotel my colleagues and I were shocked at the conditions for what we paid. We drove into an industrial esate thinking the driver had the directions wrong until we saw the sign for Hotel. The "Hotel" turned out to be a converted office block or warehouse. On our arrival we were infromed there were no breakfasts only fruit and cereal in the morning....for €140/night!!!

We were situated on the 3rd floor so we needed to use the lifts to get there. The lift was an old industrial lift that was in terrible condition. It creaked and groaned taking ages to eventually get to third floor. Suffice to say it was the last time we used it over the 5 days we were there. As we got out of the lift there was a dog wandering the corridors!!! This place certainly wasn't the Hilton. Little were we to know that was the best aspect of hotel. The smell from the kitchen on 3rd floor was awful!!!

The rooms were atrocious. These are coverted offices. The light in the centre of room was an flourescent light and falling down, the beds were all very small single beds and the room in general were tiny! I've attached photos to illlustrate this. The bathroom was also tiny and the shower kept getting blocked up!!

The weather was 30c over there. The room had no air conditioning. It was impossible to open window at night due to the noise of the motorway and in the morning there were workmen either revving cars, jackhammering etc....I did mention it was an industrial estate!! Also the blinds were insufficent. The sun comes up that time of year at about 3am. The blinds leaked sunlight and the curtains were only ornaments on each side...they didn't close. This lead to more than a few uncomfortable nights.

The standard of this hotel was not acceptable. If I got the room for €50/night well then I got what I paid for but I didn't...we paid €140/night for a hotal that was at most a 2*!!! We checked hotels in city centre after and we got around the €200/night mark. We would gladly have paid that for those type of hotels.

I cannot shake the feeling of being totally RIPPED OFF!!

This hotel was not up to any standard. And it certainly was not worth €140/night as in most capital cities around the world that would get you a very good hotel.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank irsh79
USA
Reviewed June 10, 2009

I booked this hotel because of the slightly mixed reviews on TripAdvisor and hope to provide a little clarity for others. I have stayed in hotels (one star to four), pensions, hostels and budget hotels in Africa, Australia, Europe, the Caribbean and the USA so I hope this review reflects reasonable expectations of a 2-3 star hotel.

--Location: We found the internet walking directions difficult to follow regarding the location of the tunnel. The tunnel is down a flight of steps (mentioning the steps in the directions certainly would have helped) and then the hotel is a very short walk away. From the metro stop it is only about 5 – 6 minutes. From Central Station, the ride is less than 15 mins.
The hotel itself is located in an industrial looking area, so there is no neighborhood or pretty scenery if that is what you are looking for. But, as aforementioned, it is quite close to the metro where you can find a grocery store and restaurants.

--Room: I do not know if it is because I criticized the internet directions and pointed out where they had been likewise criticized on the web, but the first room (114) we were given was fairly dismal. There were two twin beds, an old crusty alarm clock, a chair and a very small bathroom that smelled terribly. There was no remote but the clerk promptly gave us a new one.

The next morning, I asked for a new room. The new room appeared slightly more spacious, had a small rack for the luggage, a do not disturb sign, more decorations on the walls and a much larger, smell-free bathroom. However, there was hair on both the bathroom floor and in the shower.

TV aside, the rooms are certainly more like private hostel rooms than like hotel rooms. Also, the doors do not automatically lock behind you, they must be locked manually.

--Breakfast: The breakfast seemed quite basic to me: bread, jam, butter, meat, cheese, granola, coffee and tea. But its free and fresh and that's nice.

--Service: We called the hotel three times to get proper directions due to misunderstandings on both of our parts and the clerk was always polite. Our room was changed upon request with no hesitation but also no apology or acknowledgment of the smell/state of the other room.

--There is wireless but it comes in and out.

All in all, I think that if you can find a hostel room that offers a private ensuite for the same price (we paid about $100USD per night), in a more scenic area or closer to the city, that is much preferred. Our first room aside, nothing in this hotel is awful but it I definitely would not recommend it.

• Stayed June 2009
1 Thank Springa
Ankara
Reviewed June 1, 2009

well right now, i am in hotel vastberga for 2 days...I like the service...They are very helpful indeed...I stay in a single room having bath...

room has wi-fi, close to midsommerkransen T-bahn...10-15 minutes to ancient city, gamla stan...

affordable, clean rooms...

after 22:00, you can enter the hotel with the magnetic card as they give to other residents of the hotel...

breakfast is nice...

performance/price is 4 out of 5...

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
wales
Reviewed March 9, 2009

We chose this as it was one of the cheapest, we didnt expect much and were pleasantly surprised. It is a little far out for sightseeing to be honest but its clean and very friendly. The staff are pleasant and one very good-looking ;). The breakfast buffet is tasty and plenty to go around.
Would highly recommend this as a budget hotel.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
Cairns
Reviewed July 5, 2008

I stayed in Stockholm early July ´08 and booked in to Hotel Vastberga because it was the best affordable hotel close to the city and Globen where I was going to see a concert. I have to say that I was really impressed with the hotel, I only paid about 60 AUD a night and my room was really nice, but the staff were so helpfull. In the last 6 months I have been in 8 different countries and good service is so hard to find, but it really makes a huge difference!

Stayed July 2008
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stockholm
Hotell Dialog
The Red Boat Hotel & Hostel
#93 of 155 in Stockholm
ApartHotel Attache
#104 of 155 in Stockholm

Been to Metro Hotel? Share your experiences!