1,182 results
All reviews four poster bed quiet street interesting decor junior suite free tea and coffee modern bathroom metro station small room single room nice bar quirky hotel sister hotel minute walk lovely room city centre old town top floor
Reviewed July 21, 2012

We stayed for a total of five nights in June (3 nights then a further 2 nights after a visit to Aland Islands). We stayed in a superior room which was a good size and a bit quirky but the bathroom was tiny, really tiny. If you are elderly or slightly large then you may have a problem here. The hotel itself is great, lovely atmosphere, and friendly helpful staff. The bar offered a small selection of evening meals and the food was excellent and we were there for jazz night which was good. The location is excellent, not on top of the tourist parts but very accessible and very close to a metro station. The breakfast choice was varied and plentiful.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 20, 2012

I had noticed this place has had some fairly mixed reviews but i took a chance and to form my own opinion. I have to say i was very pleased with my gut feeling, i was there for 4nights for the recent Marathon and found the staff very friendly and helpful from the outset, room comfortable and clean with plenty for a decent breakfast in the morning.
Yes the room was a little small, but i am not a giant, as was the bathroom (how long do you need to stay in it anyway!) but it was functional and i hadnt gone to Stockholm to sit in my room moaning about the size of it!
Overall the location was very good to the main sights (walking distance) and to the main station to get to and from airport and i would have no issues in recommending a stay here.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Stayed at HH for 3 nights and I have mixed feelings about the place. I initially book a standard room. At check in I was given room 1001, which is in the first floor, facing the street AND in the back of the restaurant kitchen. I guess you can imagine the rest. Noise, noise, noise. Not only that, but that specific room has mustard curtains which don't block daylight properly and here as you probably already know gets dark 11:30pm and gets light again around 4am. So my first night was the worst sleep in a very long time.
Next morning I requested a quieter room, higher up and facing the garden, and the front desk was very helpful and nice about tha change. They gave me room 2408 (4th floor) with garden view for 200 SK more.
That room was a bit bigger quieter and had dark blue curtains which were much better keeping lights off.
Wifi is free, but sketchy. Some areas such as lobby, restaurant work really well, other not that great. (as in my room 2408)
Decor is earthy, minimalistic, Asian-African mix which was quite interesting.
Breakfast food was decent and plenty. The only problem is that room is very small, not enough for all guests and you have to sit with people IN FRONT OF YOU, that you never met before, which for me feels a bit uncomfortable. Share a table is one thing, have a front table buddy is another....
Location - good. It is about 150m from the subway stop and it takes around 10 min to get to the action Gamla Stan, T centralen, Ostermalsborg.
They also sell Stockholm card 24h and 48h.
Overall was a good stay, but I would probably pay a bit more and stay more centrally located.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 18, 2012

This hotel was exactly what we expected. We'd read reviews online and took on board that some rooms were quite small before we booked. The hotel was just right for us - modern and yet still quirky, exceptionally clean and was extremely friendly and efficient. Good Scandinavian breakfast with waffles, good location, complimentary coffee in the lounge was very handy and we had some nice evenings in the bar just chilling out, chatting to the bar staff and to other guests. I thought that this hotel offered something different from the norm without being too left field. It was just right for us.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I stayed at this hotel once before and liked it a lot, so when we were "upgraded" from the 3-star sister hotel across the street I was happy. The happiness didn´t last long though. We were put in a very warm room with a "window" toward the breakfast room. The window could not be opened and there were no AC, only a noisy table fan. Even though it was quite chilly outside, the room was hot and stuffy meaning that the fan had to be kept on during the night which disturbed sleep. The room could have been nice if it weren´t for the most horrendous curtains, and an extra chair that didn´t have any function, it just took up space. This lack of functionality was present throughout the hotel, there had been an attempt to decorate the place in an original way but some things were out of place and made the impression scattered instead of cosy. The breakfast room was crowded and the buffé felt a bit tired. The staff was very nice and friendly which made the experience better, but the place definitely feels like an OK 3 star hotel, not 4 star.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Per H, Owner at Hotel Hellsten, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

Dear NinaPaqariq,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review about us. I appreciate constructive feedback since this is the way to be advised on how to improve my hotel and its services.

You mentioned that you stayed here before and was very happy then. This time you happened to receive a room which was not to your satisfaction and your whole stay was a disaster.

Hotel Hellsten is located in a rebuilt old family house which was formerly large bourgeois private flats and there is bound to be at least some rooms which are smaller or different in some way. Your room was bordering to the breakfast room and fire regulations stipulate that windows cannot be opened between two fire cells as these are. Five rooms of the 78 rooms that we have in the hotel have windows towards the breakfast room. The other 73 rooms are neatly situated on the roof top or towards the silent inner court yard or towards the street.

You were allocated this room this time and I regret very much that you did not inform our reception that you were not pleased with your room. They would have done their utmost to change you into another room. Our policy is to always try to please our guests so that they leave our hotel with a smile on their lips.

It is always difficult to meet expectations. Especially when such have been built up during a long time before arrival. As you said, last time you liked this hotel a lot and this time it seems all has been wrong.

I am so happy that you liked our staff. I am so proud over them. They are wonderful and they do all to make our guests happy. Sorry only that they were not given the chance to provide you with a room to your liking.

I take your criticism on functionality and design very serious. Thank you. I continually do all I can to work on improving the hotel, the functionality of the rooms and to keep up a design for which I have received appreciation from so many guests.

So, I do hope to see you back at Hotel Hellsten in the future. We would love to give you another room and to provide you with a great stay. Welcome!

Kind regards,