“great experience!”

M/S Birger Jarl Hostel & Hotel
Reviewed December 25, 2013

Staying at Anedin Hostel was a really cool experience for us!
The boat itself is really nice and it really has an atmosphere of the "old ship".
The staff was really nice and helpful.
The room was comfortable with a great view (!). I read someone complained about the size, but don't forget you're on a ship! :) So for a ship cabin our room was really good and had everything we needed!
And of course the location! It's just amazing! 5 min walk to almost everything you'd like to see in Stockholm!
We've stayed there for a 3 days and we didn't use the subway/buses at all! Because there is no need!
So Anedin Hostel is highly recommended for everyone who wants to stay in a beautiful city of Stockholm, get a cool experience of living on a ship and save some time/money!
I would certainly stay again!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Anna B

Reviewed November 23, 2013

Plus: The location was very good, close to the main square with many restaurants and stores and also close to many cruise opportunities. Another plus is that you don't feel it shaking on the waves, as I expected. We had a superior double cabin with two original ship windows that open, we had a really awesome view over the water and the island. More than that, you can climb on the last floor(/deck) and have a great view, especially at night even if I'm not really sure that it was allowed (we got there really late and there was nobody to stop us, otherwise maybe somebody would since the deck was really wet and slippery and accidents could have happened if some kid or someone less responsible would've got there).

Minus: -The room was really small, you just ~30-40cm between the bed and the walls on both sides. There was a wall between the room with the bed and the small "balcony" with a small table and two dirty chairs and the windows, so we couldn't see the sky from the bed as we expected. It was really difficult to close the windows and at night it was very cold. Also the ventilation couldn't be completely stopped, and was very loud all the time and very cold in the room even if it was summer. In the first night I woke up at 5am because I couldn't stand the cold and the noise anymore.
- All the cabins had problems locking. First time we leaved the room we lost half an hour trying to lock it and waiting for somebody to help us - he also tried a lot until he managed but then we had the same problem every time we went out and we saw and heard other people trying hard to lock their cabins as well. So don't leave anything valuable in the room.
- At night there was no way to buy something to eat/drink.
- The bathroom was really small and the shower directly on the floor caused an accumulation of water of about 10cm every time we showered. The lack of a mop or something like that was really annoying.

All in all it might be a nice experience for a night or two but I couldn't stand more than that! Next time I will visit Stockholm I will stay at a hotel in the same area but not on a ship for sure!

Room Tip: If you care about your comfort even a little, the a superior cabin!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank alitzuca
Reviewed October 25, 2013

I've never stayed in a boat before and it was a super cool experience. The location was simply the best, centrally located in the old town, no doubt the most beautiful part of the city. The staff was super nice and our cabin was basic and comfy, exactly what you are looking for when traveling on budget right? You can wander around the boat and enjoy the kitsch decoration, the old maps on the walls... it was charming. It is not the cleanest place I have ever been but to be honest it was not dirty either, just average, as said basic and simple perfect for when you are planning to explore the city and stop at the hotel to rest :)
The fact of sleeping in a boat gave it the extra romantic bit, I would recommend to anyone traveling with your partner or friends. Also it was sooooo cheap compared with the other alternatives, Stockholm is ridiculously expensive so I would definitely repeat in this place to save some crowns for other things :)

Room Tip: We went for the no-sharing cheapest option : cabin for two with no window. When we arrived there and...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tatiana G
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Located on the water beside the old city
Cabins small but compact and quite and very clean.. use squeegee in bathroom to "dry" floor
Mattress firm but not rock hard
Plenty of hot water
Excellent wifi in upstairs lounge but not in cabin
Upstairs lounge comfortable with free (the only thing free in Stockholm !) hot water for coffee/tea
Breakfast available 90 kroner
About 15 minutes walk from Railway Station
There is a supermarket about 5 minutes walk
Would certainly stay again

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank geoff96
Reviewed September 24, 2013

The rooms are very small, but I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel service is very good, staff very polite. The bathroom facilities are on the average side, also struggled to find the bar, although there were renovations being carried out

If you are running the Stockholm Half marathon, it is the nearest hotel, and less than 600m from the start line. Yes would definitely stay there again.

1  Thank h0nestjim
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Price compared to hotels in Stockholm was reasonable (I booked on a short notice).

The staff was ok.

The rooms weren't cleaned properly. I found a toenail in my bed and there was no soap left in the toilet.

The shower was a bit appalling so I decided to skip shower that day.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

The location of the hostel could not be better - steps away from historic Gamla Stan (the old quarter). So if you just want to rest your head and explore the city then this is a suitable place to stay. However... we didn't shower for 2 days because the ensuite bathroom is tiny, without a shower curtain so water goes everywhere and on top of that the floor is flat so water doesn't go down the drain so you have to use a "squeegee" to push the water down the drain - too much hassle for my liking! (see pictures of other reviews to show this). The rooms are really dark, small and claustrophobic but adequate for putting your head down. 3 of us shared a private 4 berth cabin so this was the cheapest option for us. Check in starts at 3pm - if you want to leave your luggage you can, unattended and in an unlocked room near reception (I kept my backpack with me as there is still crime in Stockholm despite having a low crime rate). I rated this 3 stars due to the location and that it's a hoStel and not a hotel - as mentioned the location could not be better - so I would consider staying here again (just not more than 2 nights!)