“Good price, good food, good nordic atmosphere”
Review of Tradition

Tradition
Reserve with
Tradition is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #41 of 3,347 Restaurants in Stockholm
Cuisines: Swedish
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Gamla Stan & Riddarholmen
Description: Here at Tradition we offer you food from the Swedish cuisine as it was originally intended: Featured, uncomplicated high quality ingredients that are prepared with knowledge and care. The three restaurants all have their own unique menus selected by season and what we think is best at the time in that particular district.
Reviewed April 1, 2013

This is a place where you can have a traditional but revised Swedish dinner.
The place is little and very cozy, furnished with wood design pieces, candles and good music.
Every dish is served with a great bread and butter choice and the menu is various but not "hard".
The price is as well a good thing: one of the less expensive places i've tried in a mid range selection of prices. The service is very kind and accurate and the food isn't average at all.
They serve food till late, which is a good thing as well.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,359)

Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

Staying in Hotel Birger Jarl this restaurant is just across the street. We booked in advance of arriving in Stockholm, although it was quiet.

The menu is small but serves traditional food , hence the restaurant name. The beef brisket (175kr £18.75) and swedish burger are excellent. The brisket is certainly worth a return visit. Our toddler had a small meatball portion, average in taste.

Reasonable for stockholm prices with great food. The bread to nibble at the start was great as well.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

We were recommended to go to the Tradition by the hotel receptionist and we did not regret it. The menu represented real traditional Swedish food.

I liked absolutely everything, starting from the excellent service, homemade salads and bread and the actual food.

We tried and can recommend meatballs and fried herring, but i believe that everything on the menu is as excellent.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

My wife and I visited this restaurant a Sunday evening. We had made a reservation ahead.

Note! This review is based on the service (i.e. the lack of service) only!
I will not rate the food here…though, let me say that the starters as well as our main dishes were very good! The chefs really deserve positive credit for their job.

The service was so below par; we’ve hardly experienced the same low level anywhere else.
It was nonchalant, inattentive, inadequate, unsatisfactory and deficient!

There were three female waiters on duty, two of them in their twenties and one in her late thirties (maybe forties). The initial welcome was not a special warm, nor a welcoming, one.

When seated, we were naturally waiting for the next step, i.e. the menus! After approx 10 minutes of no initiative or activity what so ever from none of the waiters, eventually one of the two youngest (a dark haired one), slowly went over to our table nonchalantly leaving the menus at the table.

Later, after finishing the starters, the main dishes were served by one of the two younger waiters (the one with blond hair) – and she was the only one of the three who was kind and talkative.

While eating our main dishes, the oldest one of the three waiters came over to our table; she just grabbed the salt- and the pepper shakers…..and simply disappeared with both of them. Not a word.

Having finished our dinner, the same waiter returned to our table. Very efficiently she cleared the table from dishes and cutleries. She was totally silent, not a single word passed her lips. We’re used to some kind of conversation from the waiters; or at least some small question about how the food tasted.
It was in fact a rather awkward situation…my wife and I looked at each other, we found the waiter’s procedure - and behavior - very strange.

After some minutes she returned, still not uttering the slightest word, with the dessert menus. She did not give them to us; she simply tossed them at the table. (The menus are fixed at wooden discs).
We were now very excited and anxious about her behavior and we were looking forward to her next level of giving personal service.
However, as she even this time did not open her lips, she - off course - didn’t gave us any recommendation at all for what she (or the kitchen) would recommend…nor did she ask us any question for what we would prefer.

Now, at this time we were extremely exhausted by the lack of service, as well mostly tired of the lack of warmth and personal engagement. We therefore promptly decided to ask for the bill and leave the restaurant.

Both my wife and I are very experienced travelers, as well as guests to restaurants. We do not only love to go out the two of us – my wife’s employer are having international guests coming to Stockholm several times a year whom she and her colleagues are doing their best to treat well by visiting nice establishments.
Let it be said at once: This restaurant will never again be visited by none of us.

And that is a pity, due the very well tasting Swedish, traditional food made by the restaurants very gifted and clever chefs.

3  Thank Homevalley55
Reviewed February 6, 2013

As the name suggests, Tradition serves extremely traditional Swedish dishes. I ordered the Black pudding- not realizing it was actually blood pudding! I ate it, but not sure it is something I would order again. With that said, I would definitely return to this restaurant and try something different. The atmosphere was a bit bright and felt a bit like a cafeteria. So not somewhere I would recommend for a super cozy romantic dinner. But if you are looking for good Swedish food, I would give it a try!