“Great hostel.” 5 of 5 bubbles

City Backpackers Hostel
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“Great hostel.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

We went on a girls trip for 3 nights. The staff were very helpful and upgraded our room for free so the group could all stay in the same room. The hostel attracts young travellers and there are many areas to hang out and socialize. The kitchen is spacious and there is always a tub full of free pasta. From the hostel most things are within walking distance. Definitely one of the most value for money hostels I have stayed in.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

I spent 3 nights on this awesome hostel to visit Stockholm for the first time. Considering it's a hostel and that I slept with other 7 room mates my stay there was perfect. For the noise, that always it's an issue, just don't forget to bring with you our ear plugs for sleeping and then there will be no problem. Apart from this it's nice to see the big lockers where to put your stuff, in and out of your room. Also the pc for the free interent use, the wifi, the little backyard, perfect for having a beer. Reception was also happy people and helpful. I just want to recommend to rent for 4 hours the cruiser bikes that the hostal have, it's a lot of fun and fits perfect for the city. I would like to come back, for sure :)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

We stayed 2 nights. The hostel is close to the train station and in a nice area. I was worried that the hostel would be crowded, messy and cluttered. On the contrary, I found the decor to be pleasing - cosy, bright, modern, cheerful, clean and well thought out. There are public areas for you to relax in and they are in different parts and yet they afford some privacy and interaction at the same time. There are passwords to enter different rooms. An extremely well-organised hostel.

I didn't mind paying for the rental of the bedsheet and duvet/pillow covers but not the concept of having to carry them from the frontdesk, putting them on the beds, and then taking them to the laundry basket. If hygiene is a concern, dirty hands would have soiled the inside of the pillows. Worse, some exhausted people might just jump into bed without bothering to fit the covers. If you want to stay here, wear shoes that are easily removable - cos each time you go to your rooms, you have to remove your shoes.

I stayed in an en suite, but it turned out that my mattress was much thinner than the ones in double deckers in shared rooms. I couldn't hang my towel in the bathroom or even spread it out to dry so that was a bit of inconvenience. The small heater was of limited use and I (from the Equator) found it freezing at night, even in June. After having travelled over night for more than 17 hours, I tried to take a nap but the noise in the basement was magnified during the day - doors closing, people talking and doing things. However, it was quiet at night. So that was a relief.

The guests were generally friendly so it's a good place to meet other nationals. The staff tried to be helpful. But on one morning when a young staff had just shown the guests their room, I asked her a question about the city tour bus. She told me to go to the front desk as people were queuing. But after I put on my shoes and went to the reception 2 minutes later, there were no customers there. The lady staff was there with her male colleague. And she didn't remember I had a question for her and she continued doing her stuff.

But for an accommodation of this class, I think on the whole, it's above average for those staying on a budget.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

This hostel was fabulous. Clean! We stayed in a room with a private bath and paid for the linen/towels and liked it better than some of the high price hotels we have stayed in during our travels.

Our only issue was that we had a room facing the park and it was noisy - most of the night. You needed the windows open otherwise it was too hot in the room, so there was not anyway to block out the noise.

We would defintely stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the street or park for noise reduction.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

The City Hostel is a really good adress for travellers with a smaller budget. It's super centrally located, all the facilities are extremely clean, the staff is nice and it's very easy to get around. Free access to pc, free coffee and tea, a nice well equipped kitchen, lots of travelling tips (what to do, the cheapest beer, etc) and even a 10% coupon for the bakery next door. We just stayed one night but it was really nice and the price is absolutley ok for Stockholm standards and for what is offered. I can just recommend it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Istanbul
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

I recently stayed at CBP for 2 days. Frankly I had an unpleasant and tiring stay but since the target customer of this place is another segment, I will make my evaluation based on that and give a 4 star to this place. It is very centrally located and provides a clean area to stay at. There are many nice and detailed touches to make things easier and available for people (like electric plugs for everyone, a small fridge for every room, pasta, nice computers, wifi, social areas, doors with passwords, luggage room, etc). Toilettes and shower areas are clean. There is a breakfast at Cafe for SEK 50.00 (one roll, two slices of cheese, butter and jam (enough for one slice of bread), a few slices of cucumbers, corn flakes, one glass of orange juice and coffee).

I cut down one star. I should have cut down two actually but I am trying to stay on the optimistic and fair side telling myself I am not a target customer and maybe this is how this works at a hostel. One star went away for the combination of three things:

1) At CBP they do not give you a bed sheet, pillow case or a blanket cover. You rent it for SEK 50.00 (??). I arrived at 1AM and as soon as I walked in, a guy simply handed me the bedding set. Which meant I had to spread the sheet and put on the pillow case and blanket cover myself. Now let me tell you – this is really not something that you want to do after a long flight and at 1AM in the morning. There were people sleeping in the room and I had to do all of this trying not to make a sound and with the light of my cell phone. And when you check out you are required to take off the bedding set yourself and dump them in the hamper. As I worked on my bed at 1AM, I could not help thinking some thoughfulness would not hurt – especially after I paid SEK 50.00 for a service that should have come as standard. Yes, the target profile may be the 18-25 years old and during those years people do things without much questioning but I found this kind of an approach towards customers, no matter what age, disrespectful.

2) I stayed for 2 nights and could not have a restful sleep. The bed springs are all very squeaky and whenever someone turns and tosses, the small room fills with this uncomfortable sound. And to top this, the heavy doors bang themselves shut. Many people come and go to the room throughout the night which means many times during the night you wake up. When you start the day in the morning, you do not feel refreshed. What you feel is simply the opposite.

3) Check-out time is 10AM which is too early. Many people have fun until early AM hours. This is not giving enough time for sleep and bathroom activities.

In spite of the inconveniences I had, I am giving CBP a positive mark.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Ali-Karacalar
CBPmanager, Public Relations Manager at City Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Hi, thank you so much for understanding that partly your bad experience was caused by you not being our target audience. Everything you wrote tells me you would have been way happier staying in a hotel than in a hostel. In Swedish hostels, allowing people to bring their own bed linen IS standard - other hostels charge 70 for bed linen. The reason of course is that salaries are higher here than in Turkey, so to keep prices down we try and cut down as much as possible on staff hours. I hope you had a good time in Stockholm in spite of choosing the wrong accommodation, and thanks for the feedback! Cheers, Lena
Derby, Reino Unido
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

Its really clean, the staff is helpful but if you are looking for fun the hostel is really quiet! And don't have activities to mesh people. And WHY SPEND A LOT OF MONEY BUYING MAC COMPUTERS AND NOT DECENT TOILET PAPER AND GOOD SHOWERS??

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Hi, are you completely sure you have stayed at City Backpackers? We have pub crawls three nights a week, barbeque night three times a week, The Swedish Meatball Experience every Wednesday when we teach our guests how to make proper Swedish meatballs with all the right side dishes, guided walks and bike rides, movie night every night and a free sauna every afternoon - all in the effort to help out guests get to know each other. If you feel that we don't do enough, I'm afraid you would be even more unhappy at the other hostels in Stockholm, since City Backpackers is the only hostel which organises any guest activities.
As for the showers, we have lots of private WC/showers, brand new - but we built those before we bought the Macs! Too bad you didn't find them. Kindly Lena