“Good Budget Value Stay & a Great Location”

The Red Boat Hotel & Hostel
Ranked #97 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
Reviewed February 10, 2010

We had a great long weekend in Stockholm staying for 4 nights at the Red Boat in the Captain's Cabin (on the white boat behind).
The Captain's Cabin room was pretty basic but perfectly fine & was nice & warm in a very chilly October, with great views out over the water. (just don't forget you're on a boat! - somehow i was still surprised by the rocking motion!)
Service was very friendly & helpful - couldn't fault at all, & the breakfast buffet was very good with a wide selection (cereal/breads/jams/hams/cheese/fruit/eggs & tea/coffee).
Location was excellent - for walking to the bars/restaurants of Sodermalm & to Gamla Stan. & not far from the Gamla Stan T Bahn to go further afield. (& to walk up & around Monteliusvagen for amazing views - a must-do if you're staying on the Red Boat as it's so close).
Given the very high prices in Stockholm i thought this was a very good budget option.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dinkyfruit

Reviewed December 7, 2009

Every year university friends and I travel to a different European city, a chance to catch up with each other, see the sight, experience the culture and drink a little local beer. And this year it was decided that Stockholm would be next on the list.

The Red Boat was chosen by a friend and on this website it looked nice. From the outside it looked nice. And it was. It’s just a pity we didn't get to stop on it, after paying for it. My friend and I were told we'd be stopping in the boat behind, The Ran. The Ran had no reception, very poor shared toilets (One male between at least 10 rooms). And oh my god, our room stank. It really smelt like dead people. The owner must have known that this room stinks as there were about five room’s fresheners under the bottom bunk! I reported the smell and how unhappy I was that our group of four had been split (Two on The Red Boat and two on The Ran). The woman on reception was nice about it, but nothing happened, we had to put up with a very smelly room (which made our clothes smell once we'd left).

I would recommend the Red Boat - Just make sure you stop in The Red Boat... And if the hand you the keys to Rooms 28 in The Ran, either remove your nose or hand the keys back.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank BaronVonPleb
Reviewed October 23, 2009

Fantastic hostel!
Great location, nice cabins, special feeling!

Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 29, 2009

Came to Stockholm for an exhibition, and stayed on the boat for a week. sharing with my mate.
The boat has such character, and from the outside it looks small but inside its bigger than you would expect.
The rooms are small as you would expect, but are cleanish. Not the worst place to stay.
Its cheap and you get breakfast where you can have as much toast/ ham/ cheese/ eggs you desire. The food is laid out like a buffet style so you can have as much as you want. We sneakily made sandwiches to take with us for the day so this saved a bomb on food costs.
The staff were friendly and i couldn't really fault my experience. Stockholm is a lovely city and would definitely recommend it to people my age looking for somewhere cheap to stay.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank misiak1986
Reviewed January 2, 2009

Unique opportunity which we are pleased we took. Sleeping on a boat in wintery december overlooking the city. Great! We really enjoyed it there. Restaurant for breakfast was obviously very simple but sufficient and it worked out a cheap alternative to a hotel. We were given the room in the boat next to the red boat, white boat if I recall correclty. They gave us the wheel house 'aye aye captain' which rocked! Yeah I couldnt move the boat but I could stand in my PJ's at the big wheel pretending haha!

Worked for me - would stay again.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 28, 2008

I stayed here when I came for a friend's wedding. My favourite hostel in Stockholm was booked out, and this place quickly answered email requests and I could make a reservation without several phone calls to Sweden.

While the price may seem high for what is offered remember that this is an expensive city. I wasn't able to find something substantially cheaper, not even in a hostel.

The accommodation was also hostel-style though. The room that I shared with a friend was tiny - bunk bed, small locker, micro-table. That's all. A place to sleep and nothing else. There were shared flowers in the bow, you had to plan ahead a little not to get into the shower-rush-hour. Oh, and you'll get a tiny porthole slightly above the waterline.

We didn't try the breakfast or any other services and basically came on board only during the night.

In a nutshell, it's cheap by Stockholm standards, but don't expect much. Since there are hostels in the city that offer more for the same price, I consider the Red Boat second choice.

However, if I'd go again if the other options were booked out.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank averell23
Reviewed October 5, 2008

Gregarious staff; standard Swedish breakfast. The room is ok - don't look too closely, don't expect too much. Strictly for crashing, no room for yoga practice, or trying out any cheesy dance.

2mins walk to the train station and 10mins walk to Old Town. A pretty convenient location. Internet kiosk on the boat.

It's ok. I would recommend it if it was cheaper. Having said that, i could not find a cheaper single room.

All the best.

• Stayed: September 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank transit_tales