“Not bad for the price, but noisy”
Review of Anno 1647

Anno 1647
Ranked #88 of 155 Hotels in Stockholm
San Francisco, California
“Not bad for the price, but noisy”
Reviewed June 15, 2012

I'm not talking about the street noise -- earplugs covered that up. But the guest above me seemed to be wearing clogs on the hard wooden floor above; and the other guests on my floor seemed to be very heavy-handed, letting doors slam. Was woken up by this noise earlier than I had hoped to be, every morning.
I was in one of their "economy" rooms. Shared shower was fine. Shared toilets were in very small rooms/cabinets; no problem for me, but might be tough if you have limited mobility.
Staff was fine and attentive, and location is great. Love the shoe-shine machine adjacent to the front desk!

Room Tip: Bring earplugs!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 18, 2012

A lot of reviews mention street noise, but we didn't have any problems. The place was clean and the rooms were comfortable (some with a rather nice view, but we were in the economy rooms and those have just an ok view). The breakfast (included) was actually the reason we stayed here a second night: all you can eat and all you could want - bacon, eggs, croissants, yogurt, muffins, just everything. Also, it's extremely close to a tube station - which was wonderful as we explored Stockholm mostly by rail. The staff were super friendly and helpful. I would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Dr_01001010
Manchester
Reviewed January 30, 2012

I'm quite a seasoned traveller, having stayed in hostels, convents and old palaces, across the world. I don't usually write reviews, but this is a warning one! The hotel photos on Hotels.com only show one aspect of the hotel and I could not believe I'd booked into the same hotel in reality. I have been told that all the economy hotels are on the side of the hotel overlooking a square. I arrived just before midnight and passed a man urinating on the hotel wall outside as I walked towards the reception door.

I was welcomed by a very polite receptionist who helped me to my first floor room. The brown carpet along the corridor to the room was badly stained throughout. The bedroom, though tidy had an easy chair touching the pillow head of the bed which was so badly stained I wouldn't want to place anything on it.

The washbasin was by the window and the curtains didn't fully close in the middle so privacy from the public in the square below was not assured, in fact as I drew the curtains another man was visibly relieving himself in the square just below the window.

I got into what I thought was a clean bed and the sheeting I was in direct contact with was indeed clean however the very visible under sheet used to cover the mattress and base of the bed had holes in it and was stained.

The skirting boards needed painting (minor issue) but the noise level outside on both nights didn't allow for sleep until people dispersed between 1 and 2am. Musicians started playing at 10.30 on Saturday til the early hours.

Stockholm it's self seems lovely but I was working so only caught glimpses of it.

I didn't bother with breakfast. However as I booked the room through Hotels.com, I emailed them at 8am on Saturday morning with my complaint asking them to resolve the problem with the hotel directly or book me into a room elsewhere. It is now Monday evening, I'm back in the UK, still waiting to hear from Hotels.com to resolve the issues. I also told the hotel Anno 1647 receptionist on Saturday, and asked to be moved. I was told that I would have to pay extra to be moved and the manager, who worked Mon-Fri, would look into my complaint on Monday (after I had left) and decide whether to reimburse me the difference between the two rooms!

The receptionist also said that all the economy rooms were noisy because of where they were positioned near to the square, but acknowledged this wasn't written into the website details.

PS the walls are very thin you can even hear a bag being put down!

Room Tip: All economy rooms or rooms without bathroom are on the wrong side of the hotel, don't be tempted...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank adriana cinzia g

Travelers are raving about these Stockholm hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed January 20, 2012

I have wanted to go to Stockholm for as long as I can remember and this past summer I finally made the trip. My boyfriend and I stayed in Anno 1647 and loved our time in Stockholm. The hotel itself is very quaint. We did not want to stay in a very modern, cold, chain-type hotel. While the amenities might be limited and the rooms small, the breakfast was nice and the employees were helpful. We had to book a room with 2 twin beds (can't remember if that was our mistake or not), but we didn't mind.

The cons to this hotel were the size of the rooms and we heard a lot of the street noise at 1am through our window (we went in July - people tend to stay out late during the summers I guess).

The pros were the nice, quaint feel of the hotel, but the biggest pro was the location. The location was perfect! It is in Sodermalm (the Brooklyn of Stockholm) where there are trendy shops and nice residential streets. It is also near some very pretty churches etc. Best of all, it is just across the bridge from Gamla Stan (our favorite part of Stockholm - very touristy, I know). Every night we would make the 3 minute walk to our favorite gelato place in Gamla Stan. The hotel entrance is also located on a very cute street.

Overall, if you are someone who doesn't require the fanciest or most modern hotel and are going to Stockholm more to experience the city, I would seriously consider this hotel.

Room Tip: Higher floors might help with the street noise that can be heard at nearby hubs of activity.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CherylAB92
Oxfordshire
Reviewed November 28, 2011

This hotel is clean, modern, comfortable and relaxing - in the centre of the beautiful old city of Stockholm, it is well-placed for any visit. Good breakfasts, free internet and charming service, in a well-renovated old building.

Room Tip: Ask for the modern, deluxe rooms to ensure the best - rooms 10 and 11 I think....
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank betseybooc
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed October 25, 2011

Anno 1647 is a very old hotel on the south side of Stockholm. All rooms seems individual because of the old building where they have made several rooms into larger ones.
Stone walls, big stairs and the hotel is like a labyrinth, not easy to find the way but charming.
Nice breakfast at a nice place overlooking Slussen. I have been there twice, once in the suite which is great!

Room Tip: If you can afford it, go for the suite. But they do have much cheaper rooms without toilet (in the c...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
netherlands
Reviewed October 16, 2011

The location is good. Clean room for acceptable price(not that cheap however). Good bed in very small room. No coffee or tea making facilities. Lot of stairs and no elevator.Friendly staff.
Missed a lounge for a drink after a day of sightseeing.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends