“So far, so good!”

Ranked #52 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
New York City, New York
“So far, so good!”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

My first impression is positive (five more nights to go). The staff was helpful, my standard room is clean and large enough, and the bed quite comfortable. By far the best part is the very large desk with a comfortable chair at the right height; I come here for work, and to have an actual desk that I can spread out on is unusual for me in Stockholm. I'm also happy to report that the free internet WORKS! I've encountered so many hotels here where it doesn't, and this is so important for business. My only complaint so far is that coffee/espresso isn't available throughout the day for free: this is the first hotel in Stockholm that I've stayed in where I had to pay for my post-international flight cafe latte.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Jenny B, Manager at Hotel Birger Jarl, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We welcome and pay close attention to all feedback as it helps us improve our standard and service in line with our guest expectations.

It makes us happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us! We have upgraded our Wi-Fi network as we know this is very very important for our guests.

Regarding free coffee during daytime I will see what we can do about this in the future.

I look forward seeing you here again with us.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I chose the hotel for its location primarily as I had two days of meetings in the area. There are some cool local restaurants and its only 15 minutes to walk into town.
Hotel is modern and clean and feels quite buzzy downstairs as the bar, restaurant and lobby area are all in the open plan area.
My room was one of the 'designer' rooms that had been done out by a local celebrity designer. It was small, had no desk and was in fairly poor state of repair. There were no curtains only blinds and the string was broken so could not raise them or lower them all the way. The bathroom was so dark that I had to have the door open to the bedroom and it was in a poor state with broken fittings and water damage.

A colleague had a much better (and cheaper) room on another floor. Avoid the polka dot room.
Everything else about the stay was fine - wifi in rooms, there was good breakfast and the service was friendly and helpful. Probably wouldn't stay here if I was travelling as a tourist on my own money but it was convenient for me on my stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

I assume that you have stayed in one of our 17 unique design rooms, individually designed by Swedish best contemporary interior architects and designers.
I am sorry to hear that you didn´t enjoy your room. Let us know next time in the reception as we always do our outmost to make our guests happy with their rooms.

I wish you a warm welcome back to us here at Birger Jarl!

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Simple modern and in a great location. The room we booked was huge similar to a small apartment. The bedroom was very dark and quiet at night so we slept very well. Staff were friendly and the buffet style breakfast was very good too!would definitely stay again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Norway
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We really looked forward to staying in this hotel for 4 nights. It started out well. The receptionist was very nice. The lobby looked new and modern. We got rooms on the 1st floor. Soon we realised that they were not the best of rooms. They were so cold that we had to ask for extra heating in th reception. The bathroom was worst, absolutely no heating and the floor was ice cold. Every morning we had to drop the towels on the floor to be sure to get new ones. They didn't dry in the cold room.
The breakfast was very good and the service was perfect. Maybe we only had bad luck .

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Jenny B, Manager at Hotel Birger Jarl, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

I wish you return to us for another visit, since for me you it seems that you have had bad luck at your last stay. Generally our rooms are warm (central heating) and cozy and we have several bathrooms with floor heating.

I do look forward seeing you here again with us!

Stavanger, Norway
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Staff were excellent, nothing was too much trouble for them. Our room had been refurbished to a very high standard, you can't go wrong especially as the room rates are very competitive. Breakfast was also to very nice, everything was presented well. Location was a nice stroll into the centre, 10-15 mins or the subway is only 5 mins away. Quite a few restaurants near by, plus convenience stores. Best tip, get Stockholm card for 2 days, unlimited transport and entry to attractions, Globe and Royal Palace are a must.

Bergen, Norway
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Lovely, trendy, stylish hotel in Stockholm. It's located in a calm part of the city, but close to the shopping street and subway-station. The staff was very nice and helpful. The breakfast was great and kept me full all the way 'til dinner.

England
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed at the Birger Jarl for one night as a stop over to Kiruna. All I can say is that I wish we had had longer here! Everyone was lovely, so helpful and went out of their way to ensure that you had a wonderful stay there. Its quite central to everything and in 30mins, you can be in the "old town".

The breakfast buffet was brilliant, hot, fresh and very tasty!

The rooms aren't the biggest, but they don't need to be. You have everything you need in these rooms including a TV with English channels and the beds are lovely! We will be returning to Stockholm very soon and I will definitely book this hotel again.

1 Thank Sarahlouise S