“Great location - but only average”

Hotel Kung Carl, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #59 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
GreenLeadersSilver level
uk
“Great location - but only average”
Reviewed March 2, 2014

A slightly odd collection of rooms. The one ihad was a perfectly decent size on a corner overlooking a busy road junction. I wasn't troubled by the noise, but the fact the hotel placed hearing protectors on the bed side table suggests some people might be! The bed was raised on a higher bit of flooring - which meant both times i got out of bed i forgot and nearly fell into the desk. Different elevators for different bits of the same floor made this a confusing hotel to navigate. Athough the room was a decent size i gather they do vary, and the bathroom was so small, i have had bigger ones on an overnight train.
Breakfast was a bit chaotic and there was nowhere to sit as the place was packed at 0800.
The location is very good - about as central as it gets - with a good choice of eateries near by.
The price was reasonable given the location, but i didn't love the rooms enough to stay again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank grove1
Christian O, Owner at Hotel Kung Carl, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear Grove1,

Many thanks for your feedback. I believe I know which room you stayed in. Please, contact me if it is not too much trouble (e-mail below), just to confirm room number and so I can ask some follow-up questions.

Our rooms vary in size and decor from room to room. Please get in touch with me on christian.ostlundh@hkchotels.se for your next trip and I will make sure to find a room that will suit you perfectly.

Many thanks in advance for your help,

Christian Östlundh
+46706628865
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Liked the historic nature of the hotel -- walked here with my luggage from taking the airport train to the city (was a fair hike after an overseas flight, but interesting to look around). The girls behind the counter were always friendly and helpful. My room was very tiny (317), but it had a lovely high ceiling and a chandelier -- and a single bed that was thankfully nice and long, plenty comfy. I selected the least expensive room (which was still plenty expensive), so I wasn't surprised. In the corner of the room was an itsy bitsy bathroom - which was as wide as the height of my suitcase. Funny! Better than having to share a bathroom down the hall. I thought it was all quite cute - and the majestic ceiling made it feel spacious enough for two nights. They included ear plugs in the room, which was nice. Location - convenient for walking around. Restaurant - nice atmosphere, good food, breakfast good also. Relative to similar hotels in other major world cities, I was shocked at the prices here - the tiny room with a single bed was roughly $220, as I recall, and the hamburger in the restaurant - about $30! Wow. But that's the market here -- I'm sure this is one of lesser expensive places in town.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed January 7, 2014

The hotel was of good standard and had a nice atmosphere. The breakfast was good, the beds were comfortable, and most importantly the location was excellent. Service was ok and the room could have been cleaned more thoroughly though.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Harry833
Christian O, General Manager at Hotel Kung Carl, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inadequate cleaning service you experienced during your stay here at BEST WESTERN PREMIER Hotell Kung Carl. I would very much appreciate your assistance in emailing me further details regarding this matter at christian.ostlundh@hkchotels.se.

Thank you again for bringing this matter to our attention.

Christian Östlundh
Loule
Reviewed December 23, 2013

We had been travelling all day and got to the hotel somewhat drained. The check in was fast, efficient and smiley. The people in reception realised how tired we were. We went to our room, the Victoria Suite, and wow, it was fantastic; a beautiful bedroom, bathroom with a sauna and a lovely sitting room. As a wonderful bonus there is a spacious balcony around the sitting room. This has a lovely view and it is a great place where dark and evil people, like us, can smoke and watch the hustle and bustle of a city go on.
Not fancying having to go out for something to eat we decided to eat in the hotel restaurant. The food was very good, with a fair bit of choice. The service was top notch. The two lovely waitresses somehow knew how tired we were and could not have been nicer.
My wife has two new knees and feels the cold, so she takes her electric blanket with her to hotels (please do not laugh!) We asked at reception for an extension cable and the receptionist immediately said that she would go down to the maintenance cupboard and find us one. I think we have all been in hotels were the answer would have been something like; sorry it’s closed until tomorrow morning.
Breakfast is also lovely with a great choice of cold and hot dishes.
I also loved the location of the hotel, close enough to the city centre but not right in the centre.
To me, the thing that makes a great hotel is great people. Every single person we met, working at this hotel, was great. The people at reception, the restaurant, housekeeping and the maintenance guys could not have been more efficient, helpful or smiley.
A big thank you to all of you!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Austria
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for one night, and can agree with some of the earlier comments about the quality of the rooms as well as the location (depending of course what you are up to). Breakfast was nice, but very crowded, and the small bar late night had a good athmosphere. Premises had multiple beautiful old ceramic stoves, high rooms and good interiors. The only minor incident occured when I wanted to work a while in the lobby during pre-lunch hours, but staff asked me to go elsewhere, which I considered unpolite. I would not hesitate to stay in this hotel again anyway when visiting Stockholm next time.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dubai
Reviewed November 9, 2013

I have recently been on a biz trip to Stockholm and stayed at the Kung Carl. The only saving grace for this hotel is its location, everything else was a huge disappointment. The room I was given was the smallest room I have ever stayed in. It was barely bigger than a closet. It only fitted a single bed and the wardrobe was very tiny. The room was noisy, not only because it was facing a busy street, but the insulation leaves room for improvement. I could almost hear every word of my neighbor's phone conversation.
The room was equipped with a mini bar which was filled with one bottle of juice with a destroyed label. Not very appealing! The bathroom is so small, that it doesn't even fit a normal sized sink. Washing your face without splashing your feet is therefore impossible.
The service was ok, and unfortunately did not compensate for the rest.
In summary this was surely the last time I chose the Kung Carl. An advice to the management: If you have someone visit your hotel for the first time you shouldn't give them the smallest room!

Room Tip: Don't choose 308!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Gabi07
Christian O, Owner at Hotel Kung Carl, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear Gabi07,

I am very sorry too hear that you did not like your stay with us here at BEST WESTERN PREMIER Hotell Kung Carl.

Our themed rooms are in 9 categories in various sizes. The small single (7 rooms out of 143) is perfect for guests arriving late and leaving early. If you prefer a larger room we have many good options too, for instance in the Superior och Deluxe category.

I would love to ask you a few follow up questions, so if it is not too much trouble please contact me at email christian.ostlundh@hkchotels.se.

Many thanks in advance,

Christian Ostlundh
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed November 6, 2013

I stayed at this hotel last week for 5 nights. I had a very small single room but the size didn't worry me too much as the room had real style and charm. I liked staying in such an old building full of history and you could tell they had made the best use of the space available. My one complaint about the size of the room was the shower recess - I'm fairly tall and have to say that it was a bit of an ordeal showering in such a small enclosed space.

The staff were very helpful and friendly. The hotel is located in the middle of a shopping district and within walking distance of all the main tourist sites.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo