“Would stay here again-in a heartbeat!”
Review of Hotel C Stockholm

Hotel C Stockholm
Ranked #36 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
Reviewed July 20, 2010

My husband and I were very happy with the hotel. The location is simply fantastic! The Arlanda Airport Express Train (20 mins to the airport, 240 Kr for 1 person, 280 Kr for 2 people) is right outside the hotel, as is the Central Station. The sister hotel, Nordic Light Hotel, is opposite and has the spa and gym shared between the 2 hotels. There are 100s of restaurants, shops (Drottningatan, Gallerian Mall, Kungsgatan), Foreign Exchange Shops just a minute away from the hotel. And although it is so central, the area is very safe and clean-not edgy at all, even at night.
The Ice Bar of Stockholm is located in this hotel and seems to be a tourist must-do. There are crowds of tourists that seem to be brought to this place and although the lobby is always full, it is never unpleasantly or annoyingly so.
We stayed for 4 nights and got a good rate of 120 euros/night and we were happy with our room, which was cute and comfortable-good sized. The A/C was underpowered but this was a problem we faced all over Europe as there was a heat wave going on, and the air-conditioners were not meant for such weather. The internet is free if you have a laptop as they provide a data cable in each room to hook up your computer to. Wi-fi is available but must be paid for. In the room, they provide a safe, tea kettle (with nice teas and even cappucino powders), iron and ironing board. There was an ice machine on every floor and a shoe polish machine near the ground floor elevators.
As for the breakfast, it was very good. Lots of hot and cold options but the tea selection was especially wonderful with many exotic teas available in tea leaves. As vegetarians, we did not find too many things to eat besides yoghurt, oatmeal and fruits, but if you're not vegetarian, there is plenty. The breakfast room is small and tends to get cramped by 9 p.m. Service is very good and prompt though.
They have a spa but highly recommend the Clarions Hotel spa, which is quite close by (200 metres). The regular rate for a Swedish massage all over Stockholm was 1000 kr for an hour-quite expensive but consistently so. And the Clarions also allows you to use their pool and sauna if you use the spa.
They seem to have some free computers in the lobby which one can stand and use.
All in all, would stay here again, in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 19, 2010

This is a really lovely hotel which is very centrally located in Stockholm - and is really handy for the bus/train station. Staying in Stockholm is relatively expensive, especially when booking last minute, so we chose one of the 'Express' Rooms which have no window and bunk beds. I was afraid it was going to be like a hostel, but it was a really nice room, with a comtemperary decor, which admittedly was small - but not overly cramped. The bathroom was lovely too.
I was seriously impressed by the breakfast which was included in the price. I was expecting a standard hotel buffet, but everything was really fresh and lovley. I would definitely stay there again on my next trip to Stockholm, and wouldn't hesitate about booking the much cheaper 'Express' Room again - though maybe not if I were staying more than one or two nights.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank declanjhayes
Reviewed July 12, 2010

The service was efficient but after carrying the luggage and with a large family, I really wanted to have a bell boy to take the luggage to the room. However, no such luck! Had to take everything on our own.

The hotel is very close to the central station and other areas of interest. Its short walk to the shopping district and you can take the bus right outside the hotel to Skansen and Grona Lund. The famous Ice Bar is in the hotel so also worth a visit.

The rooms were clean but tiny. We had booked two "Superior Queens." Breakfast is included in the room rate and is quite good.

Overall the experience was average.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 7, 2010

The Nordic Sea hotel is situated right next to the Arlanda Express terminal (the express train from the airport), so is very handy if you want a quick transfer from the plane to your hotel. We even had the pleasure of being woken up by the platform announcements at 5 o'clock each morning! After looking at the hotel website, I expected an uber-trendy hotel with airy spacious rooms. The reality is that the hotel looks like a dull, anonymous office block. The lobby is slightly dark and gloomy and the rooms are rather small (the bed filled up most of the room), and a little worn looking (scuffed wooden doorframes and floors, slightly grubby carpet in the hallways). On the plus side the bathroom we had was large and well-equipped and the beds are very comfortable. The breakfast buffet is subtantial and varied, although the fruit salad looked like it came out of a tin. The staff seemed very polite and helpful. We didn't visit the much-hyped Ice Bar in the end, as we were put off by the long queues of tourists ferried in from the cruise ships each day. The hotel is in a dull side street, but is only about 5-10 minutes walk from the main shopping streets. For me the hotel didn't live up to its 4-star rating, but I would recommend it as a handy place to stay if you get a good deal on price and just want a convenient hotel to bed down in.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Nordicsea, Manager at Hotel C Stockholm, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2010

Dear Nausicaa,

I´m sorry to hear that you were woken up at 5 o´clock every morning during your stay. Even with thick double glassed windows, which we have in all our rooms, there might be a possibility to hear sounds and noise since we are located in the very central part of Stockholm. We are fortunately enough to have rooms located towards an inner yard, which are less exposed to noise. If you had informed us of this inconvenience during your visit, we would have been more than happy to move you to one of those rooms.

In December The Nordic Sea Hotel will undergo a major renovation and this will take care of many things that you described. Hopefully we will see you as our guest again and I´m sure that you will then find the hotel much more to your liking, trendy and 4-star.

Best regards

Anders Sundin

Reviewed May 22, 2010

Nice, comfortable, clean, standard hotel in a very good location of the city. Good breakfast. A great price for Stockholm for such a good location! Walking distance to all local attractions as well as the train station.

There's also the Absolut Icebar there, which is kinda pricy & slightly on the boring side (it's freezing in there, so not so much a social-type bar!), but worth a go if you're up for new things. also a good photo-op for the trip :)

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 18, 2010

The rooms were uncomfortably hot both by day and at night substantially above the ambient temperature outdoors (roughly 10C). We turned the thermostat to minimum, made sure the radiators were off, even turned off the radiator in the corridor but it made no difference- it felt as though some central system continued unabated, and although we had the window open the small amount it would open all the time it didn't make much difference.

The rooms of this type have a second window, but that can only be opened with a special key brought round by one of the staff, and once it is open only they can close it, the room's occupant cannot.

The velux-style blinds did not fit the windows properly and let in light very early so we woke up far too early, even earlier than we do at home when we need to go to work and school.

The next night we changed rooms from the top floor to one two floors lower, the temperature was no lower nor more comfortable there. Given that the hotel claims to be so very environmentally friendly and conscious of wasting energy, it is surprising they heat it to the extent that you can't even reduce the temperature much by keeping the windows open night and day.

In addition the curtains in the room were made of multiple layers white material and did not cut out the light. The very least I'd expect in a hotel of that calibre in summer was a proper blackout curtain. We had to manoeuvre the curtain carefully into place so that it covered the windows as well as possible with a long umbrella, kindly provided in each room by the hotel though I presume not specifically for use as a curtain hook. We did this because the quantity of curtain material was so scanty that if you pulled it, another window at the other end of the curtain was uncovered.

The room was the tiniest family room we've ever booked anywhere, we thought they'd made a mistake and put us in a room that was not meant for people bringing young children needing an extra bed when we were first shown it. Given that the price was high and this was meant to be one of the best rooms, we were surprised that the room was so cramped.

Apart from these issues the breakfast was excellent in quality, quantity, the length of time it was available and the friendliness and helpfulness of staff serving breakfast and other guests; the shower would score 3/5 though the bathroom was warm and well-appointed and although the internet seemed like a well kept secret there was a hotel-provided wire for computers in the desk drawer and free internet access if you worked out the wire was there for you to use. Otherwise there was WiFi, which you have to pay for, but we didn't use that.

The location next to the railway station is convenient for getting to and from the airport, but if you put a child's bed right next to the window and have the window a touch open then the announcements might well wake the child and ours certainly said he'd heard them in the night. There was no view worth speaking of in either of the rooms we were in other than into offices opposite the hotel, a pity when there are so many good views in the city, but the hotel makes up for it with its excellent transport links.

The hotel has a bar called the IceBar which is recommended by guide books and widely advertised across Stockholm, but is only accessible if a highly priced drink is bought.

The hotel also has a wonderful large aquarium, which you can drop in to see without staying there and is fun for children to see if perhaps you've got a bit of time before going to the Arlander Express at the station.

TripAdvisor states that this hotel is 4 star rated, though I haven't been able to find this on the hotel's own website. It didn't seem to have the facilities which other four star hotels we've stayed in elsewhere have in them. We cannot understand what makes this a four star hotel if in fact it is one. A good breakfast buffet, good quality, clean wooden floors and a position by the station are not in themselves the defining characteristics of a four star hotel and I have stayed in cheaper hotels with lower star ratings that have these facilities elsewhere.

On speaking with the hotel staff, I never got the impression that they understood that for us feeling hot and uncomfortable and not sleeping well mattered. They never said they were sorry we had not been comfortable. They made a few practical suggestions, offered to shift our luggage for us and were very efficient, but there was no indication that they understood that in our eyes they had not fulfilled the function of a hotel which is to give the guests a good night's sleep. We were never asked by the staff or receptionists whether we were comfortable after our move or had enjoyed our stay. They seemed pleasant people, but it just didn't seem to occur to them that we might not have been happy or to find out if any of the changes they'd made helped us. We had no indication that they'd be looking into any of the issues we'd raised to see if they could make things better for future guests.

After the first night I asked the staff either to find us a better room, or to refund our money for the second night and allow us to find alternative accommodation. They moved us to another room, which was no better than the first.

All in all although I would love to visit Stockholm again I wouldn't stay at that hotel or any under the same management ever again, and I wouldn't recommend this kind of room to you either. These were the worst and shortest nights of sleep any member of our family has had in any hotel in the past couple of years.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Nordicsea, Manager at Hotel C Stockholm, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2010

Dear Val-d-Azun-Owl,

First of all I would like to say that I am sorry that you didn’t find the hotel to your liking and I´m sorry that we couldn’t live up to your expectations. I sincerely wish that you had brought this complaint to my attention while you were still staying at the hotel giving me a chance to correct the issue and to see that you would receive a great experience at the Nordic Sea Hotel.

The hotel will undergo a major renovation in the very near future and I will add your feedback so that we can improve in those areas that you have commented on. I´m certain that the renovation will take care of the issues you addressed and hopefully we will see you as our guest again in the near future.

Best regards

Anders Sundin
Hotel Manager

Reviewed April 29, 2010

I am writing this from my room on the 6th floor. I am in Stockholm for business and I am very happy with the hotel. The staff is friendly and accommodating. I booked a superior Queen room and it is a good size with a nice bathroom and comfy bed. While 2 walls are windows, the view is nothing special (I look out at the train station). It shares the sidewalk with the entrance to the Airport Express Train, so getting here is convenient. The breakfast buffet (included) is good and the food in the restaurant is quite good as well. There is an Ice Bar (made from blocks of Ice) in the lobby, which is sadly undergoing renovations today. From the pictures it really looks neat...next time. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay in downtown Stockholm.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business