“A unique experience”

Malardrottningen Yacht Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #35 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We found our stay at the Malardrottningen Hotel delightful in every way. The rooms were small, but well-organized and clean. We had a view of Sodermalm from our porthole windows, which was especially lovely by night. The breakfasts were good, and the desk staff members were very helpful. Even the location is ideal since it makes walking around the city, particularly the older areas, very convenient.

Room Tip: Since size can be an issue, check the hotel information carefully before booking. We found the firs...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 21, 2013

The hotel is in a great location with the majority of the old heart of Stockholm within walking distance and only 15mins from the central station. We were travelling as a couple and I was a bit nervous about this hotel's room size - the room we had booked was a bunk bed set-up but were offered an upgrade to a suite for only a little more (room 400).

This was a much nicer room, with access to the deck, a separate living room area and bedroom. The shower-room/WC was very small and there wasn't much storage space but for a reasonably priced, unusual central hotel, it was perfect for our needs.

Room Tip: If travelling alone any room will be fine but if you're a couple go for the more expensive rooms...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank blucanary
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Great location steps from Gamla Stan. Small rooms (think cabin) on a 1920s yacht. It just oozes character. I stayed for a week in the seaman's cabin. My sister stayed in a sailor's cabin. Our friend stayed in a pursers cabin. All were compact but very cozy. My room had a single bunk that was very comfortable. The bathroom is very small and it takes getting used to so you don't get everything wet but it was a challenge and eventually I figured it out. The breakfast was delicious with many choices. We went early every morning so we could get a seat by the window overlooking the lake-beautiful! If you want a big room or like an impersonal chain hotel, this is not for you. If you are adventurous and are looking for an out of the ordinary experience you'll never forget, this is the place!

Room Tip: Room facing the lake have the best view!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank luvt2travel88
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Good location.
I was glad with my choice of accommodation.
I was given a Purser cabin which had a double bed and single above. Might have been alittle crapped with say 2 adults and 1 child. It was on the 2nd floor.
Dont think I would have liked being on the lower deck though (as a friend was), where you could see the water level out of the window.
Window didnt open therefore air conditioning would have been a plus because at times I felt alittle inclosed.
Lovely choice of breakfast - fresh fruit, cheeses, hams, bacon, different choice of eggs, sasuages (though not keen on these), different types of breads etc etc.
Would certainly consider this hotel again - although would have to be this type of room, no smaller.
With my trip taking in the ABBA Museum, it was an enjoyable trip!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 8, 2013

very good and comfortable nights sleep. They have got the maximum functions out of a limited space by multitasking on several parts of the room.....means the floor gets a bit wet after the shower...but overall great. Engine nuts like me spent hours staring through the glass floor at the preserved engines....very bright and shiny. Staff ok but limited English which is unusual in Sweden.....only gets 4 circles because while the price was ok, was not the cheapest....but you could argue the view was fantastic....

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 7, 2013

As many have said this has to be one of the cheapest hotels in Stockholm, but seriously has to be one of the best. Staff friendly and rooms comfortable (albeit small but it's a small ship!) Really unique experience to stay here, very clean and very convienent and easy to reach Gamla Stan and the centre of Stockholm on foot. Gorgeous views of the city from the resturant (try the reindeer- delicious!) and deck. Breakfast very good and plenty of choice. All in all a fantastic experience to stay in this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I was having a really hard time finding a hotel in Stockholm that had a window and a private bathroom for under 200$. Finally, I stumbled upon Malardrottningen which provided both, but on a boat! I knew from reviews that the room would be small, which was concerning since I am claustrophobic, but I felt okay about it knowing that the window could be opened.

Room
I am glad we went ahead and booked at this hotel. We requested a room facing the water and were lucky to get one. The room was tiny and my husband and I had to sleep separately on bunkbeds (that was a first in our relationship), but the room was private and the beds were comfy. I had no problem with the main area of our cabin, but our bathroom was very very tiny. It felt like they had crammed a toilet and sink into a shower stall. Water went everywhere when I showered and there was not much room to move around to shave, but I made it work. Free wi-fi worked just fine in the room. The window did open, but with some difficulty. The cabin was a bit aged and I imagine has mold issues as rain came in the window even when it was shut. Paint needs retouching as well, but this didn't affect our stay.

Breakfast was okay, but in desperate need of fresh fruit. Most hotels we stayed at on our two week trip through Scandinavia had many fruit items, but here there were only tiny old apples and jam. Breakfast was also crowded with a small enclosed hallway for people to get their food. They should fix the layout so that there are table of food in the middle. I will say the scrambled eggs were nearly raw and looked incredibly unappetizing.

Dinner was actually better than I expected, in comparison to breakfast. It was a bit expensive, but we enjoyed the beautiful views and excellent service. The apple crumble dessert was very delicious.

Location
We liked staying in Gamla Stan. It was a much quieter part of the city and nearby Old Town is especially quaint. The Riddarholmen cathedral is very beautiful as is the square it sits in. The metro is a short walk from the hotel. I thought the location was great for the price.

Although there were some things that could be improved, I felt that the hotel was very fairly priced for Stockholm. The experience of staying on an old fashioned yacht in the city was unforgettable as well!

Room Tip: Request a room facing the ocean.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple