“Not bad, nice location”

Ranked #84 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Not bad, nice location”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

We stayed 2 weeks in this hotel between Nov/Dec and we managed to witness the first day of snow in Stockholm. The hotel is conveniently next to the metro/subway and it has a supermarket right beside the hotel. Couple of fast food joints is also located right around the hotel area, and also there are simply too many restaurants within walking distance.

Check-in process was a breeze probably because we arrived late evening on Sunday, and we were the only guest at the check-in counter. We were given the room on 7th floor (top most) and the noise from the pub/cafeteria below is no longer audible on this floor. The heater in the room was barely working but the room itself is pretty warm enough to be occupied during early winter.

Breakfast choice... sad to say is real limited. For the whole 1 week, we can see the main items are always beans, hotdogs, eggs and bacon. They have lots of bread/biscuits around but it just remain the same everyday. I dont mind that but to compare with the other hotels I have stayed, and cheaper hotels, this is just not that nice.

The complimentary free wifi in the hotel is also very fast and reliable. Never been down even once during my 2 weeks stay in the hotel.

Room Tip: High floors to avoid the sounds below.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
ScandicMalmenSthlm, Manager at Scandic Malmen, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear Kons168,
We are so happy that you have decided to write a review about us -thank you!
I am grateful to read your comments about the breakfast and will take them all into consideration.
Welcome back to us!
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Malmo, Sweden
Reviewed November 26, 2012

The room is ok, nothing special. The breakfast was good, a lot to chose from but there were no place to sit so we had to stand and wait. The staff was not very welcoming. At night the lounge becomes a club with a lot of noisy people. I will not stay there again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank primcircle
Dear Primcircle,
Thank you so much for your review.
I am so sorry to read that you found our staff rude and not welcoming, this is not at all how we would like to present ourselves.
I hope that you would like to re-think your decicison and give us an opportunity to change your opinion of us!

Welcome back
Reviewed November 17, 2012

This hotel needs to decide whether it is a hotel or a club because currently it is both. The club on the groundfloor stays open until 2am so if you plan on going to sleep before then find another hotel. Our room was on the fourth floor and the bass was still audible.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank pintyponty
ScandicMalmenSthlm, Manager at Scandic Malmen, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Pintyponty,
We are so grateful that you take the time to write about us, thank you so much. Yes, Malmen has become a very attractive meeting spot for hotel guests and for "external" guest. Something that we are very grateful for! We have several different types of rooms, some of which are very quite and far away from all music, the front desk staff is available for you 24h a day and are more than happy to help you find another room if you should like to.

I am sad that we failed to meet you expectations and hope to get the opportunity to change your opinion of us!
Welcome back
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 12, 2012

If I was 20 and travelling as a couple, then this hotel would be fine. Kinda 'hip' and good location.

With kids? No. It's not really kitted out for them. I feel a bit let down by the Scandic Hotel's website that claims that it caters for kids at every hotel - what a lie. On the hotel's tv information screen it says to ask at reception for a 'surprise for your children'. I did ask at reception and THEY looked surprised that their own guest info says that, and said that there is nothing for kids. And there really isn't. No play area, etc that Scandic Hotels are known for.

Although the hotel is above a subway station, access with a pushchair isn't great and I'd recommend a baby carrier. Also, on arrival at the hotel on a Friday afternoon via the subway we were greeted by the neighbourhood drunks - not a great first impression for us, or an easy explanation for the kids.

Food at breakfast was plentiful. The same cannot be said for seating availability.

The only superb thing about the hotel is that the bed would be the comfiest that I have ever slept on.

Would I stay here again or recommend to friends with young children? No way.

Room Tip: Avoid low floors - they really REALLY are noisy on the weekend, and also traffic noise is prominent.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank SaffySmurf
Dear SaffySmurf,
Thank you so much for your review and taking the time to share your thoughts about us! For future vacation when travelling with your kids have a look at Scandic homepage: http://www.scandichotels.com/Always-at-Scandic/Travelling-with-children/Our-most-playful-hotels/ .
Unfortunately Malmen is not one of the hotels that are ranked as one of the "most playful" in the chain and is as you write perhaps more suitable when travelling as a cuple or with friends. I am so sorry if the information on our homepage is missleading. We will take a good look into this asap. I have also made sure that the front desk has the little suprise for kids, I am sorry that it was not available upon your arrival.
Once again my sincere apologies that we failed to meet your expectations and hope that I will get the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
Best
Kiruna
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Slept here before, about ten times for the last 4 years. The location is good, I like "Söder", but something happend to the hotel. Not as clean as before, Much more noise, a smell of fries i our room, from the ventilation i think. The breakfast was really crowdy, nowhere to sit, and a mess with food. No coffee and we had to wait for coffee cups a long time.

This trip we tried Nordic Sea hotel, Rica Kungsgatan and Scandic Malmen. And I have to say. Sorry Malmen, we would choose another Hotel in our nex stay.

Room Tip: The rooms on lower flors can be noisy on weekends.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KirunaEric
ScandicMalmenSthlm, Manager at Scandic Malmen, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear KirunaEric,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write down some feedback to us, it is so important for us to receive this kind of comments this to be able to improve in our daily work.
I am so sorry to read that you did not find the hotel clean and the breakfast crowded! I hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back within a near future and hopefully receive a new better review!
Best Regards
Kiruna
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I recently made use of the Scandic Malmen hotel for an overnight stay. The hotel is from the fifties, which means some odd features, both good and bad. The room, located on the 6th floor had been refurbished into a fresh and modern standard. The work-space was small but ok. I did not have dinner in the restaurant so my judgment on the meal quality is based on the breakfast serving; pretty standard. I often stay at Scandic hotels but Malmen was first for me. I have no difficulties in returning to Malmen for other stays so I guess I can say I liked it. By the way, the hotel is very well located on Södermalm and is easily reached by the underground.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear HAND1,
I hope I will get the opportunity to welcome you back to Scandic Malmen!

Best,
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Me and 2 girlfriends checked in yesterday and the first room we got wasn't cleaned. Dirty towels, bes unmade, no toiletpaper. We had to go back to the reception and tell them. They gave us another room.
Had we known the room was 2 floors undergrounds we wouldn't have booked it. My phone didn't even have reception down there. Really small elevators.
When we turned off the lights there was a green lamp by the door that lit up half the room. I dont know if it was an emergency exit light but you couldn't turn it off. Quite annoying to not have totally dark in the room.
One of us thought the bed was hard so her back hurts.
The breakfast....we dont understand the good reviews about the breakfast because none of us have seen a more poor breakfast buffet. The scrambled eggs where like pudding (we even heard other guests comment that it looked like crap), the soft boiled eggs where hard boiled, they only had one type of cookies and we are used to eat breakfast at places where they have a variation of things... If you consider ham, bread, yoghurt and cheese as a great buffet, be my guest. For us this was one of the worst breakfast buffets we've had. Compared to Hilton Slussen this is nothing.
The breakfast area isn't comfortable, tiny tables on one side or eat among the buffet tables with people running around. No relaxation.
Great location but thats about it. None of us are coming back here.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank PutteANDCarro
Dear PutteANDCarro,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts about your stay here at Scandic Malmen.
I am sad to hear that we failed to meet your expectations of us and that you got such a bad experience of Scandic Malmen. This is not at all how we would like to present ourselves to our guests, we are usually very proud of our product and foremost our service and ability to engage in dialogue with our guests.

I hope you will give me the confidence to try to change your opinion of us and gain your trust again.
Welcome back!
Hotel Manager

Travelers are raving about these Stockholm hotels