“Cunning reception staff, decent breakfast”
Review of Scandic Malmen

Scandic Malmen
Ranked #83 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
Reviewed November 22, 2011

Beware:
A "queen size" prebooked room was sold on Venere.com to us. When we got there, we were told it was a "small" queen and that for 'only' a 20 euro a night upgrade we'd get a better room. It made no sense - when we saw the size of the bed in the queen size room, it was not for two people, and definitely not for two average or above average tall people. The receptionist kept insisting it was a queen size and kept arguing with us. Finally, we spoke to someone who was able to give us a decent sized room with twin beds. This whole fiasco took about 40 minutes.

The hotel is central to hip and cool Sodermalm spots, to Gamla Stan and a movie theatre is close by (for those cold dark Sundays where everything else is shut). It is also above a T-bana station and other places are easy to get to. This makes it a very popular mid-range tourist hotel. So it's packed on the weekends.

Its bar is noisy and overflowing on the weekends too. If you're looking for a quiet place, or some romance, this is not the hotel to I'd choose.

Our room was not clean. We stayed for three nights and noticed that the floor had not been vacuumed in those four days, only the towels were changed. I don't think the housekeeping even bothered to change our sheets.

What this hotel has going for it are its excellent location and it's more than ample breakfast. Other than that, it's forgettable.

Room Tip: Go for the king sized room if you want a decent sleep and are travelling as a couple. Go for the twi...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank lonnybom
Panny H, Guest Relations Manager at Scandic Malmen, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2011

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your opinions with us! Our bars are popular as we are located in a busy area, especially on weekends there's a lot of people here. I will forward your opinions regarding cleaning to the housekeeping department.

Best regards
Panny

Reviewed November 14, 2011

I'm currently staying (until November 17th) in this hotel. When I was checking-in I was asked if I want to upgrade the room from Cabin (without windows) to superior. Because superior was above my budget I've stayed with Cabin and "moved" to the room, which was in 2nd floor Under the ground (in the basement) . Everything was fine until 9:00 PM, when some concert have been started above my room (in the hotel restaurant). I’ve called the reception and they told me, that I need to wait until the music will stop or upgrade the room.. When I’ve started to pushing them they found another room on the same floor, which was quiet. Everything in the new room was fine as well, until I’ve decided to take a shower and first thing, that I saw under the shower, was some human (I believe) hair, which wasn’t mine….. Today’s morning I’ve asked the reception to clean the room precisely and I’ll see results when I will be back, but I can the tell that the quality of service is not a correct level here. I will not stay again in this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank Piotr G
Reviewed November 9, 2011

I was very happy with my stay in the Scandic Malmen. Firstly the location is fantastic, literally it is right above a T-Station, with entrances to the station both sides of the hotel. The area it is located in has lots near by, there are restaurants and bars in the area, and there is a supermarket and shopping centre right accross the road. It is a funky neighbourhood, and the hotel has a really nice bar, there was live music when I was there. Wander down some of the streets off the main street to find pubs and restaurants. I read a post before I went about the noise from the hotels bar, but I didnt hear anything at all even though there was a live band playing and the hotel bar was full.

The hotel is really cool, the decor is nice and modern. We stayed in one of the Cabin rooms on the floor below street level. I really liked it, and didnt mind not having a window as it meant a really good nights sleep! Rooms were clean, and spacious, with a nice modern bathroom.

It is easy to get to central stockholm, it is 2 stops away or a 15 minute walk, but a really nice walk. Gamla Stan is only 1 T-Stop away and about a 7 minute walk from the hotel. There are lots of restuarants on Gamla Stan though it is a bit touristy, but definately worth a wander.

The staff are very polite and helpful, they leant us an iPhone charger when we forgot out adaptor. There is also a mini shop in reception which is quite useful.

I am definately going to return to this hotel next time I am in Stockholm!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank clairebear8182
Panny H, Guest Relations Manager at Scandic Malmen, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2011

Dear guest,
We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at Malmen! Especially glad to hear that you liked our cabin rooms so much. Our bars are popular and we do our best in informing guests at check in that we have live music and that everyone is more than welcome to go and listen.

Your comments are very useful in the process of improving our service level.
Thank you!
Best regards
Panny
Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed November 7, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel before and written other reviews also. During this trip I found the service once again to be of a high standard. I arrived early around 9.30am and was able to check in to my booked room. The room was of a decent size and this time the bathroom was also a good size. We had a conference room booked for the day also which was of a good size with all the required needs and equipment for a successful meeting. The WI-FI internet in the hotel was consistently dropping out for the entire day which was a little disappointing. We had dinner in the restaurant which offered excellent service and a very tasty and good quality meal. Overal a great visit to the Scandic Malmen.

Room Tip: Ask for or book a superior room
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank eblac
Reviewed October 20, 2011

This hotel has a great location. Many good restaurants in the area, close to the subway, the commuter trains, the city center, the castle, the Old Town, theaters and cinemas. Because of this, loads of charter tourists come here making the breakfast restaurant and other areas crowded from time to time. The breakfast is only "fair" from Swedish standards which normally is very high. The price is quite high, but that is the case with most hotels in Stockholm so you have to either go way off, or to much lower standard to get a better priced hotel. I have been here several times both on business and leisure trips. I will definitely stay here again due to its good location.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank buzztr
Reviewed September 27, 2011

Stayed four nights at the Scandic Malmen while in town for a congress. Reception staff pleasant and reasonably efficient for check-in and out. Good breakfast - very broad selection of hot and cold buffet items - and I'd rate that as much better than average. Downstairs in the bars and reception the impression is trendy design - a bit 'W hotel-esque' as it were. Bar was very busy on Friday and Saturday night. Live DJ. Great cocktails - seemed very popular with younger locals rather than guests of the hotel. Certainly you can hear the music/beat from the bar up to at least the third floor of the hotel - so not for light sleepers and/or take your earplugs just in case. In contrast to the reception/bars the room I had was rather basic and a little dated. Certainly lacked the Scandinavian design I'd expected based on the ground floor. Shower (no bath) in quite a small bathroom. Blocked drain the first night nearly flooded the room - but give them their due, they fixed that as soon as I mentioned it. Towels a bit thin and worn - definitely not luxury. Poor wifi signal in my room - but it just about worked and it was free (included in the rate). Really liked the location. Right above T-banen stop so easy access to public transport, and only a short walk to Gamla Stan (old town). Sodermalm itself has lots of bars/restaurants and quite nice vibe to it.

Room Tip: higher floors should have less noise from the bar
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 19, 2011

The Scandic Malmen is in a busy location in Stockholm not too far from Old Town. Stylish lobby with a music based themed bar and club. Check in was nice and the front desk people were helpful. We were on the second floor.

Room is stylish and modern, beds were big enough, somewhat small but do-able. This was part of a tour and we didn't stay too long in the hotels and so didn't ask too much of them but we had two major issues. 1. The Shower has a really odd design where it wraps around you, I'm a tall person and I couldn't get it in it to shower without moving the door too far from the drain, thus if I wanted to actually take a shower I'd flood the bathroom. This was annoying and made showering a real chore.

The other issue, that aforementioned club. I question putting a concert club below a hotel, we could hear everything and it made it really tough to sleep. I have longtime hearing problems and even I heard this. Made it really difficult and was no fun.

So overall, just doesn't measure up, try somewhere else.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple