“Cozy & friendly athmosphere”
Review of Lord Nelson Hotel

Lord Nelson Hotel
Ranked #73 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
Espoo, Finland
“Cozy & friendly athmosphere”
Reviewed June 23, 2010

The tiny room was a suprise but everything needed (bed, bathroom, tv) was available and the marine decoration theme in the hotel was very pleasant. The personnel was very friendly, breakfast delicious and the free sauna was a very enjoyable experience. The sounds of live music from the old town streets were entertaining:)

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Jaanairmeli

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Harrow, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2010

This hotel was booked for me by my hosts for a business meeting. Reviews had been somewhat mixed but I went with an open mind. Sadly I have to agree with those who highlight the crying need for refurbishment. Small and quirky rooms can be great, but not if they have old misshapen furniture, threadbare carpets and dead flowerboxes on the window sills as was the case here. On the other hand the staff were unfailingly charming and helpful and the location is good. I enjoyed the breakfast buffet on the first morning but, sadly, it was exactly the same on days 2 and 3 as well; also there was far too little space for everyone. Finally, I thought the prices were very high and not good value for money. All in all an underwhelming experience.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank davethewasp
Helsinki
Reviewed February 3, 2010

Comfy small hotel. Stayd there many times and now it's starting to need repairs. But the atmosfhere in gamla stan is so unique: compard to other gamla stan hotels this is great value.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank Jkk70
Lambertville, New Jersey
Reviewed December 9, 2009

Very cozy and cute hotel right in heart of Old Town. I stayed in December. Not sure if it might be a little loud in the summer. Hotel rooms are small but comfortable. Staff is incredibly friendly and helpful. Pride of ownership is everywhere. Modest breakfast included in price. Can't miss location. Good value. 15 minute walk from Main Train station.

Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank trinzeon
Utah
Reviewed October 28, 2009

Such a small place but we had enough room in our double. I did not see one of the single rooms so I can't comment on their sizes. We had two double rooms on the top floor. Ours had a smaller room but very good sized bathroom, ensuite. The other double room was a bigger room but had a smaller bathroom. Shower stalls only, no tubs. The beds were comfortable and the rooms fit our needs perfectly. The room was very quiet and even the closeness of the building out our window was tolerable and hardly noticeable (with the curtains closed).

Breakfast was included and was sufficient. The staff were always available and would even keep our room keys when we left. We only spent two nights here but after the first night the staff knew our names and room numbers, very friendly (and it helped that there were so few rooms in the place). There was free internet on the lounge computer, but that was on the blink our first night. Better access to free internet would have been very nice.

Our taxi was not allowed to drive onto Västerlånggatan to drop us at the front door, but we only had to walk about 30 yards to get there. It might have been more troublesome if we had had more luggage. Once we checked out we were able to leave our bags at the front desk and retrieved them nearly 6 hours later, a very nice way to continue siteseeing. We had no trouble picking up our rental car days later near T-Central and driving right up into Gamla Stan. We did have to park illegally to load our bags, which might have been more troublesome had we been in a more peak tourist time of year.

The hotel is right on the main drag in Gamla Stan, steps away from the Royal Palace and Cathedral. Access to Drottninggatan (pedestrian shopping street) was quick and a short distance away. It was a perfect location for us.

All in all, a very nice time there. I would stay here again, for the location if for nothing else!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bez71
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 10, 2009

I had known that this is the smallest hotel in Stockholm, but I thought I'd give it a shot anyways. I am so glad I did! Upon arrival, I went to the check-in desk, where I was greeted with smiles, and great attitudes. They were so interested in where I was from, and wanted to know everything about the state/country I live in. That made me feel great, because it was my first time traveling overseas, and I was doing it alone. I went to my room, and yes it was small, but it was the most charming hotel room I had ever been in. Each room is named for a ship, and in the room there is a little glass case above the bed with that ship in it. The porthole on the bathroom door was also a nice touch. Everything was clean, as well (one of the main things I look for when I travel.) I was staying on the second floor, and so I explored there first. Down the hall from me was this cute, little sitting room that looked out onto the bustling street. It was really a nice place to unwind. If you happen to go into this room, look on the bookshelf for a book that has pictures from all around Stockholm. The third floor has a door that leads onto the roof deck. I didn't get to use this out of sheer forgetfulness, and some rainy days. However, I had heard that it was relaxing up there. Onto the main floor... Although small, the dining area is efficient for the most part. I went at a time of the year when it wasn't fully booked. For summer months, I can see there not being enough sitting/dining areas for the amount of guests. Although, they did the best that they could with the space they have. Their breakfast is wonderfully laid out every morning, and it was nice to have it included in the price. The very bottom floor has a sauna if you're into that. The hotel is decorated wonderfully to it's theme. I found myself always looking around and finding something new that would interest me.

As far as location goes, it is fantastic. You're on the main street in Old town, and you're a walking distance from the Royal Palace, Stortorget, Storkyrkan, Nobel Museum, T-bana, and so much more. You can walk down to Södermalm, or up to central Stockholm. Really with such a great location, you can be anywhere pretty quickly.

I really enjoyed my stay there, and I am going back again. I will be booking with Lord Nelson again. I hold the record for longest stay there (18 days.) I won't be there as long this time around, but if I had the time, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I would recommend this to anyone actually. I stayed in a single room, and was more than happy with it. They do have double rooms, if you're looking for more space.

I really liked the fact that it's a locally owned hotel. It's gives it a sense of charm.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
US
Reviewed March 15, 2009

Rooms:
- both single and double rooms are really tiny; bathrooms are brand new (small too). Once you open your suitcase its probably the best to stay in bed and watch TV - as there is not space to walk around at all; rooms are very clean; I like the idea of the hotel - designed like a ship. They hv a library with free internet terminal

Staff:
- always friendly, always smiling, always happy to help!

Location:
in Gamla Stan - Old City, maybe 2 minutes to subway, 2 minutes to start sightseeing

Summary:
- I have been there at Lord Nelson many times and I will for sure come back

• Stayed April 2006