“Rooms small, but everything else PERFECT”

Scandic Sjofartshotellet
Ranked #77 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Spent just one night in this member-hotel of the "Scandic-Family". Absolutely marveluos staff, especially anne-karin (I guess?) on the reception, unforgettable breakfast, perfect cleanliness in the room, great location, good isolation of the windows from the traffic noise. The room was a bit small, but I was on my own, so that was o.k.

I especially love the SCANDIC marketing image. Also you should become a SCANDIS-friend, it's fun, you'll see.

Thanks for this great stay!

Room Tip: Be a SCANDIC-friend free of charge and you will get lot of benefits, like fresh newspapers, Food&...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Scandic Sjofartshotellet

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Located close to "Slussen" in the northern part of Södermalm and near the old town.
Rooms with even numbers are facing the street/water, and rooms with odd numbers are facing the back.

Room 722 on the top floor has got the best view, but if the terrace bar is open (summer time) it may be noicy. Room 649 was small but newly renovated.

Room Tip: Rooms with even numbers are facing the street/water. Ask for a room high up and with a high number...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank The_Swede
Reviewed August 29, 2013

5 Days in beautiful Stockholm. This hotel is not luxus, but a very friendly hotel, with Nice staff in the reception. Web got a room about 12 Square meter, smal but modern and with a
Little look over The Sea. Just 300 meter from The undergrund, and about 500 meter from The Old Town "gamle Stan ". You Are in The midle of Stockholm, and The hotel is cheap.
Me and my whife enjoyed The breakfast. A Good outdoor bar on The top of The hotel, with a fantastic look over The City and The Sea. The area named " Soedre Malm" has a lot of
restaurants and nightlife.
Sonne Soerensen, Denmark.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank junior25
Reviewed August 27, 2013

This hotel is very noisy, in the backyard there is an entertainment park with music concerts so loud that your ears heart - even with windows closed, and the room away from this scene. The acustics in the hotel is so horrible that when other guests talk in the corridors it sounds like a crowd is standing in front of your door and shouting.
I had booked a superior room (and paid heavily for it) but got such a small room that I had to unpack my suitcase in front of my room outside the door.
Cleaning of the room is at best moving the dirty towels back to the towel rack from the floor.
I am top floor member in the Scandic Friends club - this is the worst hotel I have stayed on in the Scandic group.
i have stayed at this hotel before - and have only witness a constant downward spiral of service and quality level.

Room Tip: Do not choose this hotel
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Okoustrup
Reviewed August 6, 2013

There is a lot of good that can be said of this place. However, I like to be totally honest in my reviews, so I will list the few problems as well:

Pros:
1) location - this is just two subway stops away from the central station and a short walk from Gramla Stan, so you can get to everything you want with ease. Also, Sodermalm is a hip area, so there are some cool places to eat/drink nearby, including a phenomenal vegan place called Hermans. There is also a gorgeous 6 1/4 mile running route around the entire island, which is great if you like exercise.
2) staff - extremely polite and helpful
3) breakfast - if you can't find something you like here, there is no hope for you. Even as a vegan, I was able to eat so much that I didn't have to buy lunch once in Stockholm, saving me money. Also, the last morning of my stay, we had to leave very early in the morning - before the buffet opened - so they made us breakfast bags to go that had great sandwiches (even a vegan one for me!) and fruit/juice. For nonvegans, there are meat, eggs, pastries, yogurts, and there are also cereals, breads, fruits, jams, etc. it's all included in your room rate, so eat up!
4) roof terrace - beautiful place to grab a drink
5) rooms a decent size for Europe/price paid - I opted for a medium-sized room, and two of us were fine in there. We weren't swimming in space, but we were fine.

Cons:
1) the rooms are very stuffy. You can only open the window so far, and it was not enough in August to keep the room comfortable. Even the warm weather withstanding, with two people sharing a confined space and showering in the room, this would probably still be stuffy in cooler months.
2) very loud street - we faced Katerinavagen, and it was very loud. There was traffic noise from outside, revelers drinking on the street and the roof terrace, and really loud live music every night. Seriously, it was blaring! The music stopped around 11 or so, but the rest of the noise continued into the wee hours even on Sunday and Monday nights. Closing the windows would go a long way towards cutting out the noise level, but since we were desperate for ventilation, we couldn't. We also couldn't close the curtains for the same reason, so we were awoken by daylight, too. Maybe requesting a room not facing Katerinavagen would help with this? If you need a lot of sleep, though, you will not be happy. Even with jet lag/the exhaustion of sightseeing all day, I still barely slept.
3) overpriced drinks - the roof terrace is a beautiful place to drink, but you pay for that beauty and then some! The cocktails averaged between $20-$30 a piece! That's insane!

Not sure if this is a pro or a con:
1) the bed - I thought it was comfortable and just fine, but my travel companion has a bad back and thought I was too hard, so do with that information what you will.

Overall, I really do like this place and think it was very good, but I thought it was important to mention the few downsides as those can be real deal breakers for some people.

Room Tip: Ask to not face Katerinavagen.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Phillygirlagain
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My group and I were not impressed. A room with no view, since there is no window. It was warm, no fresh air possible and had a ask for an electric fan to circulate the warm air in the room.

This Scandic hotel let down the brand. I even responded to their on-line customer questionare, no feedback from the hotel. Maybe their think my negative critique is just 'hot' air. There was not window, what do they expect.

Room Tip: When you book, make sure the room has a window.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank eraedcn
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Hi All!

Stayed 1 night an have to say that it was a good experience. Location is close to everything in Stockholm city. Service was excellent and everything just worked smoothly. I would be happy to go there agin and even bring my family.

Br, Johan Halvarsson