“great breakfast”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Lincoln, CA
“great breakfast”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We stayed one night at the Scandic before departing on a cruise out of Stockholm. It was part of a pre-cruise package. The location is excellent, a five minute walk to the main train station and also within easy walking distance of one of the main pedestrian shopping streets in Stockholm.
We arrived at 6:30 PM and the check-in process was quick and easy. Our room was somewhat Spartan, and we don't particularly care for the modern Swedish furniture, however, the bed was comfortable, the room was quiet and we had a good night's sleep. The bathroom, too was well appointed and of adequate size. The included breakfast was excellent. The dining room is quite large and attractively furnished. The buffet had a far greater selection that we are used to and the eggs were prepared just to our liking. Since this hotel is used by some cruise lines check in and out can be busy at times, but overall we enjoyed our one night stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Our cruise company selected Scandic Grand Central Stockholm as a deluxe hotel accomodation prior to embarking. When we got into the room, I had to walk sideways to get between the wall and the bed on all three sides, It was the tiniest room, smaller than our cabin on the ship. The room had no closet, no drawers, no view, very hard to classify this as a deluxe hotel. Only good thing was we were only one night. There was no offer to help with luggage.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank mike33198
Tampere, Finland
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Very clean and well located hotel.

Hotel is located just next to railway station, so if you use Arlanda express, hotel is just perfect choise. Breakfast was parhaps the best I've ever had.

We booked an executive room, and it was good - we arrived at 9 am and there were just one room "ready" at that time...that room was at the 1st floor, so the view was not great - but we were happy to get a room so early in the morning.

Room Tip: Free WiFi, code from the front desk.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed July 14, 2013

The location is the most convenient there is, close to the central station and to public transport.

The breakfast does not lack anything, thought the restaurant gets quite busy at times. Nevertheless, Zorana Brkic, one of the waitresses at breakfast time, has made our stay unforgettable nice by always finding a table for us (we were there with our 18 month old baby) and recommending us the best food for our little one! Thanx Zorana for your hospitality, you are the best!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Evitica
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed July 13, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for five nights at the beginning of our summer trip to Scandinavia. The hotel is in an older building that has been completely renovated but, unfortunately, is now a little too stylish for its own good. The hallways resembled the switchback mountain roads that we were to visit later on in Norway so that each return to one's room was quite a journey. Our hotel room was completely adequate but not huge. Fortunately, I guess we paid a bit more than rock bottom because we had a window that allowed us to see the dying vestiges of each daily light which went dark only very briefly before the sky popped to life again at 3 am or so.

Probably the best thing about the hotel was the daily breakfast which, from what I can tell, is usually included in the rate. While such a breakfast is not unusual in Scandinavia, we found this one to be above average, with all kinds of breads, cheeses, fish, etc. It has eggs but no omlette bar and orange juice but not fresh juice. The second best thing about the hotel is its location, still a map sent to visitors might help them with more ease reach the hotel from the subway station. But other than schlepping bags from the Central Station around numerous construction sights, the hotel is a quick walk to city hall in one direction and to the Hotorget in another direction. Also, it's not far from the harbor where boats leave, either for inner city canals or for a daylong trip out to the archipelago which consists of many islands, some them tourist friendly.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
NSW
Reviewed July 13, 2013

The Scandic Grand Central is well located 5 mins from the Central Railway station and 10 mins from the Old town with access to the Airport train right across the road. The hotel has an interesting layout with a rabbit warren of rooms on every floor, necessitating a rather roundabout journey from the lift to the room dragging the bags. There is a bar, business centre and restaurant on the bottom floor and a gym as well.

The rooms are adequate with flatscreen tv, wifi, small safe (not big enough to fit a laptop) and a nice smallish bathroom (shower only). I found my room hot at night and was not able to open a window (whether due to some locking system I didn't understand or because you can't open the windows, I am not sure) but ended up having to have the air con on at night which I find very drying.

The buffet breakfast was very generous and enjoyable (loved the pancakes!) and when I had to check out at 5am for an early flight, the reception provided a free packed breakfast which was appreciated.

Would consider staying here again when next in town.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I stayed at Scandic a couple of weeks back on a business trip. After doing the very short walk from central station to the hotel, I immediately realized what makes this place highly ranked, the location.

Unfortunately this is where most of the positives stop. As soon as I walked in the lobby I felt like I was taken back in time, and not in a good way. Old carpets, worn out furniture, dated receptionist desks. It was all a bit too aged, not surprising given the central location and the amount of people walking in and out every day.

A quite surreal video showing an old man juggling knives was projected to the background of the receptionist's desk, that had to be the highlight of my stay. It's super trippy, not sure if they meant it that way, but it was incredibly addictive!

I was then given the key to my room and given directions. It actually took a while to navigate there as I had to walk through a quite dark restaurant area to get to my room, felt quite strange. When I finally got to my room I was quite disappointed that it had a very high and small window that I couldn't see out of, it felt like a cabin room even though it was actually a standard double. When I asked to be moved, they said all other rooms were booked apart from the suite. I am slightly claustrophobic, the room didn't help...

The room itself was very basic but as expected very clean. Nice chillout music was playing on the TV, pretty cool. The room lacked things you tend to expect from a 4 star hotel like bath robes and bath slippers. The towels were kept to a minimum as well. I'm not sure if this is a minimal philosophy or just austerity. Also there seemed to be random mundane quotes and pictures of unknown people in all rooms, not sure why.

Breakfast next day was nice and varied. The hotel gets super busy on weekdays for business trips, not the best place to chill out, but a really convenient spot for work related travel.

Overall, I would have liked the place to be just a little more on the generous side. Customer service wasn't great, but the location and nice breakfast make this an acceptable place for the occasional travel. I wouldn't stay here on a holiday, but for an overnight business trip, it will do.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business