“Functional Rooms, Expansive Breakfast Included”

Grand Central by Scandic
Ranked #46 of 155 Hotels in Stockholm
GreenLeadersBronze level
Los Angeles, CA
“Functional Rooms, Expansive Breakfast Included”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for five nights at the beginning of our summer trip to Scandinavia. The hotel is in an older building that has been completely renovated but, unfortunately, is now a little too stylish for its own good. The hallways resembled the switchback mountain roads that we were to visit later on in Norway so that each return to one's room was quite a journey. Our hotel room was completely adequate but not huge. Fortunately, I guess we paid a bit more than rock bottom because we had a window that allowed us to see the dying vestiges of each daily light which went dark only very briefly before the sky popped to life again at 3 am or so.

Probably the best thing about the hotel was the daily breakfast which, from what I can tell, is usually included in the rate. While such a breakfast is not unusual in Scandinavia, we found this one to be above average, with all kinds of breads, cheeses, fish, etc. It has eggs but no omlette bar and orange juice but not fresh juice. The second best thing about the hotel is its location, still a map sent to visitors might help them with more ease reach the hotel from the subway station. But other than schlepping bags from the Central Station around numerous construction sights, the hotel is a quick walk to city hall in one direction and to the Hotorget in another direction. Also, it's not far from the harbor where boats leave, either for inner city canals or for a daylong trip out to the archipelago which consists of many islands, some them tourist friendly.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
NSW
Reviewed July 13, 2013

The Scandic Grand Central is well located 5 mins from the Central Railway station and 10 mins from the Old town with access to the Airport train right across the road. The hotel has an interesting layout with a rabbit warren of rooms on every floor, necessitating a rather roundabout journey from the lift to the room dragging the bags. There is a bar, business centre and restaurant on the bottom floor and a gym as well.

The rooms are adequate with flatscreen tv, wifi, small safe (not big enough to fit a laptop) and a nice smallish bathroom (shower only). I found my room hot at night and was not able to open a window (whether due to some locking system I didn't understand or because you can't open the windows, I am not sure) but ended up having to have the air con on at night which I find very drying.

The buffet breakfast was very generous and enjoyable (loved the pancakes!) and when I had to check out at 5am for an early flight, the reception provided a free packed breakfast which was appreciated.

Would consider staying here again when next in town.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I stayed at Scandic a couple of weeks back on a business trip. After doing the very short walk from central station to the hotel, I immediately realized what makes this place highly ranked, the location.

Unfortunately this is where most of the positives stop. As soon as I walked in the lobby I felt like I was taken back in time, and not in a good way. Old carpets, worn out furniture, dated receptionist desks. It was all a bit too aged, not surprising given the central location and the amount of people walking in and out every day.

A quite surreal video showing an old man juggling knives was projected to the background of the receptionist's desk, that had to be the highlight of my stay. It's super trippy, not sure if they meant it that way, but it was incredibly addictive!

I was then given the key to my room and given directions. It actually took a while to navigate there as I had to walk through a quite dark restaurant area to get to my room, felt quite strange. When I finally got to my room I was quite disappointed that it had a very high and small window that I couldn't see out of, it felt like a cabin room even though it was actually a standard double. When I asked to be moved, they said all other rooms were booked apart from the suite. I am slightly claustrophobic, the room didn't help...

The room itself was very basic but as expected very clean. Nice chillout music was playing on the TV, pretty cool. The room lacked things you tend to expect from a 4 star hotel like bath robes and bath slippers. The towels were kept to a minimum as well. I'm not sure if this is a minimal philosophy or just austerity. Also there seemed to be random mundane quotes and pictures of unknown people in all rooms, not sure why.

Breakfast next day was nice and varied. The hotel gets super busy on weekdays for business trips, not the best place to chill out, but a really convenient spot for work related travel.

Overall, I would have liked the place to be just a little more on the generous side. Customer service wasn't great, but the location and nice breakfast make this an acceptable place for the occasional travel. I wouldn't stay here on a holiday, but for an overnight business trip, it will do.

Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I stayed here for a conference at the Norra Latin. This was a 3 min walk away so the location was ideal. It also enabled me to easily walk around the city centre and is two blocks from the railway station and the Arlanda Express to the airport.

My room was large and had all the things I needed, free wifi, aircon, and a decent bed and bathroom. I slept well and was able to work at the desk. The breakfast buffet was fine, nothing flashy but lots of good basic breakfast fare, I didn't take an evening meal there as they were provided for in the conference functions.

1 Thank John A
Southport, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night on business in June 2013 and I loved it! Totally recommend it!! Its located in the city centre - 2 minutes walk from Central Train Staion, which is where the Arlanda Express (high speed airport train) train runs to / from. It couldn't be much closer really. Also very good for shops, BK, Subway and a 7/11 within 30 seconds walk...

From the outside you think it might be a generic mid-range hotel but when you get inside everything changes. The decor is very cool and funky with lots of nice touches throughout.
10/10

The bedrooms were not massive but perfectly fine, with nice artwork, some great design features etc. The bathroom was fairly minimal but this is normal in the Scandanavian countries. The air-con worked and the room was quiet - nothing at all to dislike :)
9/10

WiFi was free thoughout the hotel which was great. In the lobby there was a large table with plug sockets on for people to connect and check emails etc - wish more hotels had things like this.

I left before breakfast was open so can't comment but I expect it would be good, based on the rest of the hotel.

Staff were very friendly and plenty of them in the packed lobby....
9/10

I would recommend the hotel and would go back there myself in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Spending time in the hotel lobbby was good fun, lots to look at and the large table for working was...
Haemeenlinna, Finland
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stayed only one night and I wanted cheap room near city center of Stockholm. It's not easy job because Stockholm hotels is very expensive, but I was happy to my stay.

I didn't know, what to expect a budget cabin room. It was nice little room, though there isn't window. I think, that rooms have make reconsruction and I like it. Shower was good as well as beds. If you don't expect too much space, you could handle with cabin rooms.

Breakfast wasn't best of Scandic hotels, but good enough.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Skuuga13
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Scandic Grand Central is a good hotel with central location and a stylish interior. It has a modern and hip atmosphere. The breakfast buffet is great, but it does not offer fried eggs. We also had lunch in ther hotel restaurant, there you could choose from a buffet with two hot dishes. None of them would have been chosen if they appeared on a menu.

The rooms vary much in size. One of my colleagues got a large room, I got a room where you could hardly walk around the bed. We paid the same price for the room. It is OK to stay there for a night, but I would never stay there any longer without having a larger room. The room rate was high, there were no connection between the the price and the size of the room. I also missed to have a minibar in the room.

I would only go back if I could get a good deal or if I had limited with alternatives available

Room Tip: Ask for one of the larger rooms