“Comfortable, Clean, Centrally located”

Grand Central by Scandic
Ranked #48 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 10, 2012

The hotel is located close to the central station and within walking distance to the major shopping streets and shops. Check-in was quite quick, even though we arrived around 10a.m, we were given our rooms quickly. Keycard 'keyless/wireless' entry to the rooms, superior rooms were reasonably spacious, free wi-fi and the beds quite comfortable. The bathrooms were clean, modern and functional in a typical no-nonsense Scandic style. It is a huge hotel and sometimes you felt lost in the maze of dull,repetitive corridors that seem to go round and round, as the hotel is built around a central courtyard, which guests do not seem to have access to.
The breakfast was varied but quite crowded and the layout felt cramped and confusing with the hot food section at another end ( you might miss it if you dont look for it!). The junior waiting staff were unfriendly, rude, ill-informed and seem least bothered to help, though the senior staff were generally helpful. We did not dine at the hotel restaurant as there are lots of restaurants nearby and also a 7-11kiosk open 24hrs just across the road. The staff at the hotel and reception were professional and generally friendly, the concierge was quite helpful and knowledgable. One big minus was that inspite being a member of the Scandic loyalty programme, I did not get my 'free' newspaper and stuff that I was entitled to. Overall a pleasant and comfortable stay and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 13, 2012

Dear guest,
We are very proud that we have so many guests in our Scandic frequent guest programme , of course every guest from first floor are entitled to a daily paper when checking in. Sometimes reservations made by travel agents miss to fill in guests membership number and in those cases guests can present card upon arrival. I am glad you mentioned the Concierge service that we can offer our guests. Scandic Grand Central is very proud to be the first Scandic hotel with that extra service. We love our city and are happy to share our favourite places. Thank you for the feedback and to make us aware of things that we could do better. Welcome back to us!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Booked into the Grand Central as part of a pre-cruise package, so expectation were not that high. I was pleasently surprised. Yes, the bathrooms are small. Very small. But everything was very contemporary and clean, and the free hot and cold buffet breakfast was among the best I've had. Add a convenient location and free wi-fi, and we were happy campers.

1  Thank Paul S
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

Dear Guest,
We are happy that your stay with us was more than you had expected! We do everyrything to make our guests to feel more than welcome. Also a big thank you for taking your time to comment us on Tripadvisor!

Reviewed June 29, 2012

This hotel is not the cheapest, but from a competative view it is not the most expensive.
One night in the Sheraton was more expensive than 4 nights in this Scandic hotel.

The location is very nice. Just a few blocks walking from the train station where the airport train Arlanda Express arrives.
The entrance and the lobby are looking great. A disadvantage is the people smoking outside just next to the entrance. With my sensitive lungs, smoke is annoying for me..

The lobby has several places where you can hook up your laptop and work.
In the room there is a free wireless internet available with an acceptable performance.

At the reception I was being served very good. They gave me good directions to my room.

So first walking to the room with a lot of luggage is a little challenge.
I had to walk down a ramp, through a restaurant through an corridor, opening a door with my keycard. First down two steps, than turn left and went up ~6 steps, turned right again up ~6 steps, straight ahead, up ~8 steps, turn left into the corridor.

Yes, I've found my room, open the door and..... no windows !
It's an inside room.
Ok, one advantage, no noise from the street. The room was rather quiet.
Since there was a congress or so going on in Stockholm, it was a challenge to find a room, so I did not try to get another room.
But if you are claustrofobic, be aware when booking this hotel.

The room itself was clean, had a nice desk to work on.
The bathroom was spacious.
The bed was good and I did have enough space in the cupboard for storing my clothes.
A little safe was available.

Breakfast was good, but you need to be early, otherwise it's a quest to find an empty table.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank pa3ddg
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

Dear Guest,
How we love to hear about your enjoyable stay with us. We are happy to offer many different types of room that can appeal to different types of budgets. We have six different types of categories and hope that we will cover the needs of our guest. Thank you so much for your feedback and welcome back to us!

Reviewed June 25, 2012

I was really excited to stay in the Scandic Grand Central for 3 days after our Baltic cruise on Royal Caribbean. It was very close to the bus station and the HOHO bus does stop nearby. The breakfast was great with lots of selections both hot and cold, really enjoyed the american-style pancakes. The rest, however, was part bad, part horrible.

Customer service- Took close to 20 minutes to check-in including waiting in a very long line. Tried to be friendly to front-desk lady and even mentioned I was celebrating my 30th birthday, got no response at all, I had put this in my reservation information. I did expect some sort of response or offer of congratulations.

Room- We love to travel and do it often, but still try to do so reasonably. We paid $95 something a night including a 20% discount I found on the website for frequent guests of their guest program for the cabin "cellar"/windowless room. It is smaller than most inside rooms on cruise ships, we know, we had just gotten off one and stayed in an inside room. There is no ventilation in our room and when we tried to change the temperature the thermostat did not respond. I called the front desk on 3 different occasions to get this fixed and they said they would send someone, but it never happened. On the third time on the 2nd day, I suggested a different room and the person rudely said that would cost another 300 KR ($45) per night. So we sweated and had to prop open the door in order to breathe...so much for privacy.

Check-out- We left our room at 12PM on the dot to check out. You do need your room key to use the elevator each time, but our key had already been de-activated. Not only would the elevator not work, we could not get back into our room to call someone. I tried to go out the steps but you need your key for that as well (crazy) We were completely locked in the basement. I went out the emergency steps and I found this lady who worked in the kitchen. She kept saying to me "You should not be here!" I said, I'm sorry I'm a guest and I just need your help!." She took me to the security guy. He was so rude and kept asking me why I was there. He then rudely told me I could have left a different way but I told him I tried and my card wouldn't let me out. He then escorted us to the front in a very rude way.

I was sooooo disappointed in this hotel. I really was hoping for a great end to celebrating turning 30 but this hotel left a horrible taste in my mouth and partially ruined our time in Stockholm.

Room Tip: don't choose the cabin rooms unless you don't care if there is ventilation or how stuffy it...
2  Thank squeege777

Dear guest,
We're sorry that your stay with us did not meet your expectations and thank you so much for your feedback . Our new hotel is renovated from an old building built in 1886, so the characteristics vary a lot from room to room. We work very hard and we all do our best to keep a high standard at Grand Central. I do hope we have the pleasure to welcome you to one of our Scandic hotels soon again. Please don´t hessitate to contact our hotel directly if you have any
complaints unanswered.

Reviewed June 25, 2012

I booked the hotel partly due to its location, 3 minute walking distance from the central bus station.

We arrived for an early check in. Good news was we could get a room immediately. Bad news was that apparently only single beds were available and a king size bed would cost us a better room and a 20 euro upgrade. This time I accepted and I must admit it was worthwhile. The room was much larger than the 18-20 m2 of a standard room and it had a very nice sofa couch.

Room looked very new. There are only 5 floors in the hotel, we were on 2nd, overlooking the casino. High ceilings and large windows provided ample day light. At the same time the room was well insulated from outdoor traffic noise and curtains provided sufficient darkness at night. Room is very elegantly decorated in shades of dark brown and white, great illustration of Swedish design. AC worked seamlessly, except it would make short hiccup noise from time to time, but mostly it was very quiet and we could not feel the airflow.

The bed was very large and comfortable. However the point of the large bed was somewhat defeated by the individual bed covers, a common feature in scandinavia it seems.

Bathroom was also large enough, included a bath/shower, which feature a flexible and a fixed shower head.

Breakfast is served late in the week-end, until 11:30am. There is a very large choice of hot and cold food. Overall quality was quite good, except for the lack of fresh fruit juice.

Apparently the hotel has bikes available for guests when we checked the 2 (?) bikes were taken. Instead we took the City Bike card which proved a terrific option for exploring the city.

Overall we had a great experience. I was afraid the hotel would look too big and impersonal but instead it achieved somehow, of providing the right setting for a romantic week-end. I would return there happily.

Dear Guest,
We love to hear about your enjoyable stay with us. We are so happy to be able to present this new hotel at such a perfect location, steps away from all transportation you could need during your stay, even sightseeing tours stops right outside our door. Thank you so much for your feedback and welcome back to us, we have rooms that can fill everyone´s need!

Scandic Grand central

Reviewed June 23, 2012

The hotel was good. Nice room ( family room) with all the amenities. Receptionist was friendly and gave us a nice map of the city. Especially our experience in the bar/bistro took us by surprise. We often travel abroad and quite often to the US. In our opinion the US sets the standard in hospitality. This is absolutely not the case in the teaterbrasseriet. The first night we were served by a waiter who advised us to take a look at the cocktail menu ( a good start we thought)..After that he dissapeared in thin air. A new waiter came by and took our cocktail order.. The new waiter was not familiar with the cocktails so it took some time to explain our choice (from the menu)to him. What surprised us more is that the whole attitude experienced in this bistro, is one of arrogance. We have never seen so many noses high up in the air.....but not being able to deliver a standard cocktail right of the menu? Even worse is that we tried this bistro 2 times more. It was convenient because it was situated in the hotel.....and we thoughtthat we maybe had some bad luck the previous time....the second time we were just asking for a table for two ( it was busy) and the host just looked and talked to one of us (my friend was like air to him). No eye contact whatsoever with the other of the couple....and he also did not recognize us from the day before. This is something a host should never forget. Guests who dine a few days in a row in his restaurant. The only message we got was that they were full....come back in 40 minutes.....no thank you, goodbye or anything. We went somewhere else of course.
To be honest ;norwegians, the danes,all have a saying; that the swedish are arrogant. We have had the same experience during our stay in stockholm. Not only in the teaterbrasseriet, but in general in whole stockholm. People are uptight, we saw very few smiles and in our opinion a lot of swedish people suffer from a form of depression our worse. There is no other explanation for the behaviour we experienced. The teaterbrasseriet attracts the worse kind in stockholm. Locals who think they are hip and modern, but actually only behave arrogant. In this case the service suits perfectly.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Musis

Dear guest,
Thank you for your feedback on Tripadvisor. We work very hard at our hotel to serve and to give the best service possible at all times. I am so sorry you didn´t get the welcome and the service you would have expected at the bar and restaurant. We can only appoligize and hope you will return to us and have a better experience!

Reviewed June 21, 2012

This is my home in Stockholm - friendly staff, great ambience - reasonable pricing, and great location...

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded June 25, 2012

Dear guest,
You are so right, our hotel should feel like your own living room! Thank you !