“A great day out for anyone!”

Skansen Open-Air Museum
Ranked #8 of 315 things to do in Stockholm
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Skansen is the world's first open-air museum, founded in 1891. Here you can stroll through five centuries of Swedish history, from north to south, with a real sense of the past all around the historical buildings and dwellings, peopled by characters in period dress. Living history over 150 dwellings and other buildings from all over Sweden have been dismantled and reassembled in an area of 300 000 m2 at Skansen. You can travel back in time and meet people from the past. On summer evenings you can also come along and watch traditional Swedish folk dancing! Skansen Zoo at Skansen you will find both domestic and wild Nordic animals such as bears, wolves and lynx. Don't miss our guided tours in English during the summer and in December. Our newly-opened Children's Zoo gives youngsters the opportunity to meet a variety of interesting animals.Added attractions Skansen hold a traditional celebrations to mark occasions such as Walpurg is Night, Midsummer and Christmas. Enjoy a delicious meal in one of the restaurants with breathtaking views over Stockholm. And don't miss our Museum shop, selling traditional handicrafts and Swedish design products.
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I went here with my wife and spent the day wandering around the various old fashioned houses and farms etc. There are also lots of Swedish anials to have a look at too.

When we visited the bear enclosure also contained three playful cubs!

If you're in Stockholm for a couple of days Skansen is a must!

Reviewed September 28, 2013

This is a compromise rating. I liked the park a lot more than my spouse. The one thing we did agree on is that signage is poor and it is easy to get lost. Since we had different interests we explored separately and agreed to meet back at the starting point which turned out to be more difficult than we had anticipated. The place is a maze but since it's on a hill at least you know to go down to get out. I liked the presentation of different aspects of Swedish life in the past. I particularly liked the 1930's hardware store with all of the items from that period looking bright and new. With all of the animals this is a good place to take the kids.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

I am a little surprised to read the "poor" reviews of this museum. When I originally read the description of this place it sounded a little dull to me and I didn't have very high expectations. But it was one of my favorite things in Stockholm! Yes it was during the off season so a lot was closed I still had a great time. Such a wide variety of animals, and they all had nice enclosures without there being too many animals to each one. Since there weren't many guests there I was able to just sit and watch the animals for as long as I liked and I didn't have to fight anyone for a view. Considering how expensive everything is in Sweden I have to choose my activities vehicle carefully. I'm so glad this was one of my choices. I could have spent the whole day, especially if everything had been open. Be wary of the squirrels, they are very brave. My coworker and myself each had one climb straight up our legs!

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Skansen is an open air museum that can be reached by one of the numerous ferries. We went after Labor Day so the entire museum was not open; only a select few houses so a little disappointment there. The buildings are authentic and moved over the last 30 years from different parts of Sweden. People are dressed in traditional clothing for the era and tell you how the Swedes lived during the late 1800's and early 1900's. We did get to experience the glass blowing shop, the school teacher's home/school, the farmer's helper's home, and the apothecary. Very few people the day we went. Everything was closed down as far as shops, food, etc. i suggest comfortable shoes and a full day during the summer months to see everything.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

We loved this place! Take the time to explore the full park and engulf yourself in the history of life in Sweden. We learned a great deal and had a wonderful time.