“Elegant”
Review of Grand Hotel

Grand Hotel
Ranked #5 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
Reviewed August 29, 2013

The Grand Hotel is in a superb location in Stockholm, minutes to hop-on buses and boats, shopping, restaurants and the old town, Gamla Stan. Our room was spacious, and the concierge/doorman couldn't have been nicer, recommending the Vasa Museum, which was outstanding. The hotel spa was luxurious--a heated pool, hot tub and steam room were wonderful after a long day of sightseeing. Perhaps a bit of a "glamourous" hotel when you're seeing the sights in shorts and sneakers, but a treat just the same.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,246)

Reviewed August 29, 2013

This was our first stay in Stockholm and we have choosen this hotel for its amazing location, a big old lady in all her glory. The room overlooked the habour and was very spacious. We will return to this charming hotel.

Room Tip: Book a room with a view on the habour. Magnificent!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We were deciding between the Nobis and this and were so glad we picked the Grand on recommendations of many. Despite that it is a grand old dame European style hotel (which can sometimes be a bad thing) this was a pure luxury property. Although we didn't get a room overlooking the harbor, our room was spacious and beautiful. The concierge and all staff were so helpful and welcoming, can't say enough positive about them. I had a massage and it was amazing, and I don't say that lightly. The restaurants they recommended were all really nice. The bed was comfortable and we really had a great stay. The only problem we had while there was there was a black tie function and the noise from the DJ came up to our room and we could hear it until 2 am. However, the hotel was so classy that when I called down to report it, they immediately covered the entire night. That was more than I expected, but very very appreciated. Finally, the breakfast was delicious with a great view. A great place that we would recommend.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

This is our third time staying at this hotel (1980, 1986, and now) and we've loved it each time. Concierges were great in suggesting restaurants and getting reservations weeks ahead of our arrival. Room was near the top floor and overlooked the busy harbor. Easy walking distance to most of the places you want to go in Stockholm. And the smorgasbord! You have to do the smorgasbord one day for lunch.

Room Tip: You want one overlooking the harbor
Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 4 nights, having taken advantage of the 4-for-the-price-of-3 offer. Even better, we were upgraded to a suite on arrival! This turned out to be one of the largest & loveliest hotel accommodation I've ever stayed in ... a lounge, bedroom with 3 huge windows giving beautiful water/city views, good size & very comfy bed, dressing room, big bathroom (& separate dual-access toilet) with 2 sinks, separate shower & huge bath. We never did work out how to make the heated towel rails nor the sink plugs work though!!!
One down side was that, despite the double-glazing, our 2nd floor room was subject to road noise.
The breakfast buffet is very good with a wide choice & mostly good quality, but I found the scrambled eggs repeatedly too dry for my taste. Ask for a pot of coffee if, like me, you dont like the waiting staff having to refill your cup.
The hotel also has a pavement restaurant with a covered courtyard bar.
There is a gym & spa with a small pool, c32*C. It's not what I'd call a "swimming" pool, but we were lucky to have sole use, so were able to do lengths. One point of safety to note though ... at one end of the pool there are 2 glass flame burners, the undersides of which (just above water level) are dangerously hot.
We found the staff
courteous & very helpful.
Overall ... a very impressive hotel which I wouldn't hesitate to recommend. Not cheap ... but nothing in Stockholm is!!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed here for four nights in July. It is an excellent location and a beautiful building. The staff were helpful and friendly. For such an old hotel the room we had was spacious and classic, although we were upgraded because my wheelchair would not fit through the bathroom door of the first room we were shown. Hotel restaurants close down for holidays in July but the less formal bar area was available and the food was simple but very good. Breakfast was extra and seemed a little expensive so we went out. My partner used the spa and sauna and said the were exquisite. Parking is quite restricted in the area with a few free spaces and one disabled space right outside the hotel, car parks could cost £ 50 a day. Would recommend doing a river trip and seeing Stockholm from the water. The 1 hour 45 minute tour was fantastic and leaves just opposite the hotel entrance. Great stay, would love to go back.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I returned yesterday from the most magnificent stay at the Grand Hotel.
Arriving in the early morning from New York, I knew my chances were slim that my room would be ready. The concierge, Johanna, took charge and in short order not only was I being taken to my room, but given (by the concierge herself--quite unusual) a tour of the space.
Aside from the obvious (a beautiful and historic hotel, exquisitely maintained) the daily views of the water (so glad I'd booked a water-view room) were worth the price alone. To awaken with the Royal Palace and sparkling water seemingly within arms reach was a unique experience. Continental breakfast (either in the bar, or better still in one's room) was delicious and copious. I expected no more than a croissant and coffee, but was surprised by the generous servings of breadbasket, cheeses, fruit salad and orange juice as well. The outstanding and delicious smorgasbord, for lunch, was served in an ornate and elegant banquet hall. The service was superb and as I was traveling solo I was given a private space in an alcove room with four windows and an decorative ceiling. The woman in charge of the room kept checking in with me to see if I was enjoying the experience or needed anything. Divine.
I dined nightly at the outdoor Terrace, under heat lamps on a comfortably cushioned banquette, with blankets at the ready should one need them. I was surprised at the reasonable prices and more than adequate serving sizes (considering the water view and 5 star hotel). I had the shrimp "appetizer" and found two skewers of ten large, grilled shrimp over deliciously dressed lettuce, along with a copious bread basket and delicious butter, followed by coffee which came (another surprise) with a tin of butter cookies --more than enough for a tasty and filling dinner. Mathias Dalgren's Matbaren on another evening for dinner was a treat. I recommend the pork buns and special milk pudding dessert.
I also used the Spa daily. What fun! From the sauna to the cold pool (very Swedish, I'm told) to the steam room to the jacuzzi to the larger pool itself (not big, but during my stay I mostly had it to myself and swam laps easily) this was a delightful way to end each day.
I cannot praise the staff enough. Every question was answered with a smile and great courtesy. From the servers at each meal, to the people who delivered breakfast to my room, to the front desk, to the doormen, each person was charming, professional and friendly.
I could not have asked for more from this very special hotel.
Thank you to all who have written glowingly before me--you helped me choose this extraordinary place where I spent the most beautiful holiday.
For those of you who are about to embark--oh, are you in for a treat!

Room Tip: A room with a view of the water is well worth the price. You will love it!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo