“highly recommended”
Review of Grand Hotel

Grand Hotel
Ranked #4 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
Reviewed July 31, 2013

we went in Sweden for our honeymoon and choose Grand Hotel for Stockholm.
No regret it was perfect.
The SPA is lovely.
Breakfast is great.
Location is perfect.
Our room was nice.
The only bad thing was that the restaurants were closed because of summer vacation and in town it was the case for all very very good restaurants.

There are newer reviews for Grand Hotel

Reviewed July 30, 2013

The Grand is the traditional top hotel in Stockholm, but there's some new properties that are giving it some competition. The location is excellent. But there are some problems. From certain rooms, you will be extremely disturbed until about 10pm from the incredibly loud music coming from the outdoor bar, with live DJ, at the neighboring hotel. The bass is so loud and strong that nothing will block it. I suppose it's not the Grand's fault, but you should know. I found the breakfast buffet less than wonderful for the price, and the two days I was there the maitre d' was rude and surly. This stood out, most of the staff were really nice.

Room Tip: Make sure you're in a renovated room with air conditioning, and do not stay in a room where you...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Rolf L
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We stayed as a family in a 2 bedroom suite. First, this is widely regarded as the best hotel in Sweden. There was a royal wedding a week before we arrived but the level of service during our stay was excellent. Our suites were spacious and very clean. Appointed like a traditional European hotel though, I was a little disappointed there weren't as many Swedish influences in design. This was easily overcome by the stunning views of the harbor from our rooms. Lot's of natural light during the day and also good light by night. Large spacious bathrooms with separate shower stalls. Extremely clean. Also, we ordered room service everyday and it was great every single time, both from a food standpoint as well as service. Our only complaint would be that they only have one concierge on duty for the whole hotel at one time. This is nuts. They need at least 2 other people there. But they are diligent and courteous at all times to everyone.

The best amenity we enjoyed at this hotel is their babysitting services. They actually use hotel staff as babysitters which is such a great idea! The babysitter is a staff member so they can vouch for that person's integrity and work. We had a fabulous sitter for our kids for our whole stay, about 6 nights. They are the only hotel we have ever stayed at who do this. They also lent us a stroller and are very helpful with kids.

Definitely recommeneded.

Room Tip: The views of the harbor as beautiful with lots of light. I wouldn't say it's a particularly...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a long weekend at the end of a cruise. I had a cruise last year that ended in Stockholm and fell in love with the city, and decided to take advantage of being there again this year.

The location is absolutely perfect...I honestly cannot think of ANY hotel that is better located. I had one of the harbor view rooms on the 5th floor. Wow...a stunning view of the Royal Palace, the harbor, the bridges, the Parliament...simply spectacular. The walking distance to restaurants, shopping, parks and other sites/sights is only minutes.

The rooms: my room was light and bright, and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom set up was a little awkward--there is a large room with a sink and tub, then an interior room with a small shower and a bidet, and then (finally!) another little room with a toilet and very small sink. My room included free internet--not sure if that was because of my rate or not. I didn't understand why they provide free sparkling water in the rooms but you are sent downstairs to purchase still water. Either provide both or neither...nickle and diming over water is silly at a property like this one.

The service: a disappointment; not sure how else to put it. I don't think I am a particularly challenging guest...I don't know, maybe I am, but when I pay for service I expect to receive it. With the exception of the people who worked in the spa and the bellmen (who really bust their humps for you), it seemed like everyone was doing me a favor to help me check in, check out, give directions, take my order, bring me water in the Cadier bar, assist me in the gift shop, etc. From start to finish, I was disappointed in the quality of the service...the hotel deserves better. When this occurs in every area, it's a management issue...I hope that will be addressed at some point.

Food: the main restaurant was closed, and I found that I am not a fan of Swedish food. The location of the meals in the palace next door was stunning, but the food quality was a bit average for breakfast. I also did not care for most of the over-priced smorgasbord.

Would I stay here again? Yes...the location definitely trumps all the attitude/lack of service.

Room Tip: To me, it was totally worth the extra money to get a harbor view room
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank lovemypup
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I don't normally go for the grand hotel experience, but there is something very charming about this hotel. I've stayed here twice and enjoyed both visits. The position is terrific. Amazing view across the waterfront and over to the palace, walking distance of the centre. in winter, when the city is enveloped in snow, the walk along the waterfront at night is magical. in the summer, when the heat is up, great for cafe society and watching people boarding boats for the archipelago. Great place to use as your hub to explore this great city.

Recommend the breakfast buffet, something for everyone there. Rooms are old school Scandi.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Purchased an upgradable room and were upgraded to top flooor suite overlooking harbor. Cancelled dinner reservations and had room service in the dining room. The bathroom was huge as was the living room and bedroom areas. A great balcony was a fun place to people watch. The concierge staff went out their way to help us with great recommendations. The food, especially the smorgasbord, was out of this world! The main restaurant was closed due to renovations but the other restaurants were great. You can not beat the location, period. This has to rank as one of the nicest hotels in the world.

Room Tip: All are great. Harbor view is probably preferable. We looked at a "deluxe" room which was...
2  Thank Jud C
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Parts of the hotel have been updated and others show the slight dowdiness of another era, which isn't all bad provided you don't expect perfection throughout. There seemed some mix up in our reservation, but the staff worked to take care of it with minimal delay. Our room, offering a marvelous view over the harbor and old town, was very freshly and attractively renovated to a high and comfortable level. (It was terribly annoying that the vestibule lights were on a motion detector and whenever we moved during the night the lights turned on. Surely there was a way to stop them, but we never found it.) The location can't be beat. Breakfast buffet was not particularly inspiring.

1  Thank hoh_11