“Great View and Nordic Spa”
Review of Grand Hotel

Grand Hotel
Ranked #4 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
Reviewed February 17, 2013

The Grand Hotel is located on the waterfront and close to a number of attractions, including the Royal Palace, Royal Swedish Opera House, National Museum, and Dansmuseet—a dance museum. I stayed in a Premium Double Room with a view of the water.

The room was very quiet even though ferries were docked in front. The windows are well insulated and the radiant heating is silent and comfortable. The room was a traditional style, with a super comfortable bed, plenty of desk space, and a couch. It was just what I needed to overcome jet lag on my way to the Ice Hotel in northern Sweden.

Guests of the hotel can use the Nordic spa, which is a great benefit if you enjoy a sauna followed by a cold bucket shower or plunge. The spa also has a steam room, pool, and jacuzzi. I spent an afternoon there and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I have no complaints about this hotel. Everything was in place, the decor stylish, the food tasty, and the service good. However, nothing was a standout enough for me to give it a 5-star rating. The prices are very high for food, drink, and room due to the USD-SEK exchange rate. The cost raised my expectations

Room Tip: The waterfront view is great.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank DigitalRabbit
There are newer reviews for Grand Hotel

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Grand in every-way as soon as you enter the lobby you are struck by beautiful decor off gold furnishings extravagant reception area Its like taking a step back in time very grand and relaxing ,we only ordered teas and coffees and wine and the kids had burgers which was very nice indeed the service was excellent and the surroundings beautiful if you want a peaceful afternoon relaxing looking onto the harbour at Stockholm this is the place Stockholm in general is expensive so you will pay a little more hear but I would say worth the experience ...

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank shann1970
Reviewed February 10, 2013

The Grand is aptly named. Old world charm with up to date facilities. The restaurant is not to be missed. A choice of a five course or eight course tasting menu. Either one is totally special, small portions but plenty to eat. Watch the wines though. Desperately expensive! The public rooms must be seen with their frescoes and columns. The sleeping rooms are ok, nothing special but quite comfortable. The staff goes out of their way to please and be helpful. Of course great location right on the harbor. A must stay in Stockholm.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the harbor.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Pib1014
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I went with my husband for the weekend to Stockholm and we stayed at the Grand Hotel. I was excited to stay here because generally I tend to prefer smaller, more eclectic boutique hotels - and this was more of your grandmother and grandfather's grand, exquisite type of place. :) I mean that in a good way, by the way...

Upon arrival, we went into the little restaurant/bar/tea area to have some drinks before heading up to the room. It was still late morning but we indulged in some champagne, but most of the patrons were having the tea service - and the desserts (although I don't eat sweets) looked divine. The service was just wonderful and everyone was friendly.

The room - very nice. I wasn't a fan of the decor in the individual guest rooms, however the bathroom blew me away. You can see from the photos that I will post. There were hers/his (or his/his or hers/hers) bathrobes, separate shower from the tub and a large sink area with really nice toiletries.

The area is within walking distance to what seems like everything (though it seems centre Stockholm is pretty much within walking distance to anything). Really enjoyed it.

We did get room service for breakfast one morning and the food spread was great. Good coffee, nice juice, wonderful little jams and delicious eggs. Overall a great hotel and I would definitely stay again if ever I am in Sweden.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Excentrique
Reviewed February 4, 2013

October is maybe not the best time to visit Stockholm, but when staying at the Grand Hotel the cold weather is not a problem. The hotel has class and style, with a great spa which is free for guests. Hence, you have the possibility to recover with comfort after a walk around the old area of Stockholm, Gamla Stan. This part of Stockholm is just a short walk from the hotel, which make Grand hotel a perfect base for exploring Stockholm. And the price is not too bad either....

Room Tip: Go for a suit in this hotel if you are 3 people, since this is better and not more expensive then bo...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank OleHugo
Reviewed January 28, 2013

The Grand hotel definitely lives up to it's name. Grand in every way. The lobby is beautiful and stately. The complimentary breakfast is legendary, amazing variety, freshness and quality. We had afternoon tea in one of the lobby restaurants on our first day here and it set the mood for our entire stay - just amazing. The location is just perfect, across the street from the presidential palace, with water views directly from the restaurant and in the center of everything. Our room was smallish but well decorated and had everything we needed. The bathroom was a marble showpiece. The spa! oh the spa! Luxurious sauna, cold dipping pool and torch lit swimming pool. Spent an entire afternoon just pampering, all included in the price of our room. The service is less opulent than the accommodations, our room wasn't ready on time although we arrived at check-in. In order to get in right away we agreed to downgrade from the room we had reserved they didn't offer a price adjustment. Since everyone in Sweden speaks English I didn't rely on the front desk for directions or restaurant recommendations. i made one request from the hotel desk staff in the 5 days that we were here - A wake up call to get us to the airport on time - they forgot. All in all it's a great place and i hope to return soon.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Elena0813
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I was here very briefly on business but had a very pleasant experience. Room was well appointed, clean and comfortable. Service throughout the hotel was wonderful - always friendly and efficient. As a female traveling alone, I also appreciated that the hotel would send female staff members to my room to, e.g., deliver room service. Food at the hotel was great. Would definitely stay here again if I return to Stockholm.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business