“we´re just another hotel, please buy our stuff...”
Review of Hotel Diplomat

Hotel Diplomat
Ranked #11 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
Gothenburg
“we´re just another hotel, please buy our stuff...”
Reviewed May 11, 2007

Me and the missus stayed here for two nights in mid April whilst attending a wedding. After having looked at the website it looked like a good deal but.. well lets just say that you can get cheaper hotels on even better locations in Stockholm.

We arrived early on a Friday and was able to get a room within just a few minutes with was very good since they usually start cleaning the rooms at that time.

The room itself was on the 6th (top) floor with a view out over Nybroviken (which is a must if you stay here, if you get a room in the other direction you will only see roofs). It was a very nice discreet room with about four meters to the ceiling. There was a small three-steps stair from the hallway down to the room itself which had a queensize bed (very soft, which some prefer but I dont) a small table with two chairs, and a desk with a tv, phone and chair.

The TV had a keyboard attached to it that you could use to browse the internet, but the tv itself was so old that we didnt even bother. There was this huge doubledoor window opening up inwards so that you could stand and watch out over Stockholm. It wasnt a regular balcony, more like a french one, but it was still very nice.

The bathroom was immaculate and one of the cleanest ones I´ve encountered at a non top-of-the-line hotel. Everything was spotless including the very enjoyable bathtub.

However I got exeptionally ticked off by their unashamed effort to squeeze out every crown of their guests. They had umbrellas, bathtubs etc, even flashlights(!) around the room and in the closet. Each with a pricetag on. When I pay for a room I dont want it to feel like I´m in a store and that it very much did.

The staff where fairly young, and althou they where very helpful and accommondating they apparently had little knowledge about anything but the basics about their own hotel, its rates and rules. For example. I asked upon arrival if breakfast was included in my room. Yes it was said the gentleman who checked us in. When I wanted to settle my bill after the first night breakfast had still been added to it. When I told the young woman working there what I´d been told the day before she told me that it was a mistake and of course it was included. I asked her to contact her colleagues just in case and get back to me with a definitive answer before we left the day after. She never did. When we checked out the following day (after having had breakfast) they wished us welcome back. Three days later I noticed that they had charged my creditcard for the breakfasts anyway. In the end I wrote them and got my money back but still.

Speaking of the breakfast. It was SEK 170 pp and thats not worth it. It was a very nice breakfast buffet, but I´ve had many cheaper and better buffets at other hotels.

To conclude: If you have to choose this hotel its not a bad stay, but there are other hotels in Stockholm that are much nicer and to a better price. I would wholeheartedly recommend Lady Hamilton in the Old Town.

Good luck!

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — The price/value factior
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank limbaugh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Olney
Reviewed February 11, 2007

I booked this hotel via "hotels.com" which is one of the sites recommended by TripAdvisor. All was fine with the booking, and I was looking forward to the "free upgrade on check-in" advertised when I booked. I arrived at 12am after a late Friday night flight into Stockholm, and was disappointed with the lack of friendliness of the staff (particularly given I was travelling alone and was hoping for a friendly face!) and then my room, which I can only describe as a cupboard, or perhaps pantry, given the central heating wasn't working.

Given the time, I stuck it out until the morning but then took my booking info to reception and asked to be moved and upgraded. They were initially reluctant which was a disappointment, as the hotel was clearly not fully occupied, but eventually after gentle pressure on my part, I was moved to a double room with NO VIEW other than a concrete wall (clearly their idea of a joke!). Other than that, the room was nice and clean, and the heating worked.

Breakfast was fairly basic and pricey, so my advice would be to eat somewhere else. The plus point is in the evenings, the hotel is a bit of a social meeting point for Stockholmers "well-to-do" crowd, so there is a nice atmosphere, at lunchtimes too.

Would I stay here again, definitely not. Its a good location, within walking distance of lovely parks and some of the main tourist attractions in town, but its over-priced and I'm not sure I fitted their normal clientele mould.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The lack of friendliness of staff
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank SarahP-TRIP
Helsinki
Reviewed October 22, 2006

Our family (kids 8 & 11 years) stayed at Diplomat Hotel for two nights in October. The location is excellent, seaside at Nybroviken. The hotel building is very beautiful, Art Nouveau style. The entrance is original Art Nouveau, but the reception area and the restaurant (T/bar) is modern. Our room in the first floor, rated as a "double superior" was very large - even with the childrens extra beds! The huge windows (in the room and the bathroom) were at the side of the building (facing towards another Art Nouveau building, Hotel Esplanade), with a glimpse of seaview. The bathroom with a bath tub was fairly large, and very clean. Face Stockholm toiletries were provided. As our room was located above the restaurant, we could hear subdued music in the evening. The breakfast buffet was standard, with excellent sea views though. There was a nice Cocktail bar in the first floor, like an old english club. The service at the reception was friendly - our room was ready in few minutes, when we arrived around 10 am.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Some parts of the Art Nouveau hotel were modernized
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family