“Delightful high standard”
Review of Hotel Diplomat

Hotel Diplomat
Ranked #12 of 155 Hotels in Stockholm
Reviewed November 7, 2012

The first thing I would like to mention is the great housekeeping of room and public areas. I have stayed at many hotels, incl 5 star, where the cleaning simply was seriously lacking, but not here. The hotel recognised it being my birthday during my stay so they had upgraded my room to a lovely one on the 5th floor. Room was quiet and nice, bed great. The bar was bustling in the evening with business travellers, but was still very relaxing to spend time in. Breakfast was of a good quality. I will for sure now have this hotel as my first choice in Stockholm. The room doors were thick so one could hardly hear anything from outside the room. Nice L'occitane toilettries.

Room Tip: Room 520 was nice. Towards the yard and far enough from the elevator not to have a heavy traffic wal...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Makarska75
Write a ReviewReviews (1,633)

Reviewed November 7, 2012

This hotel was perfect for a weekend getaway to Stockholm. The location was amazing - close to the shopping, amazing restaurants, cool bars, and even the sightseeing. The hotel is right on the water and walking distance to almost everything. The staff at the hotel were very accomodating as well. THe hotel bar was a great spot and had a really nice vibe with very knowledgeable bar staff.

I'd highly recommend this hotel for anyone visiting Stockholm. If I end up going back to Stockholm, I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank dek830
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We took a weekend in Stockholm with our two kids, 4 and 7. We found a family-offer through the hotel´s own web-site, including extra beds, free food for the kids in the hotel´s restaurant and breakfast (usually not included in the room-prize which is quite odd for a Swedish hotel). Upon arrival at room 421 we found quite a big room, and the kids got one teddybear each as a welcome present.
We found the breakfast really good, a wonderful homemade muesli, delicious bread and a variety no-one could complain about. One of the evenings (we stayed for three nights) we decided to eat in the restaurant at the hotel and we didn´t get disappointed. With free meals for the children the prize definately was affordable.
When visiting Stockholm Diplomat´s location is great, walking distance to the castle, old town, the big shopping streets and "Söder". Staff is attentive and rooms clean and quiet. Remember to book the "retreat" for yourself for one hour (for free), sauna, jacuzzi and gym.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Been here thanks to my GF's present, that's why I am not so sure about the price spent for the 2 nights. The hotel is in a perfect position to visit the city, really close to everywhere. We had a room very close to the bar and to the common living room, not so quiet as far as walls are definately thin. Reception service is in the average, house keeping is good even if they missed to refill with shampoo and bath gel the second day...a bit disappointing. By the way is a good compromise between price and value

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AlessandroB10
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We stayed for three nights at the Diplomat and although we checked out other options this was in the perfect place for a long weekend. The hotel is clean in good state of repair and warm. Reception staff, as all staff were excellent, polite and helpful.
The rooms ( we had an inner room 329 with no view ) were very comfortable reasonably sized, perfect for our needs as we wanted to be out and about.
There is a nice bar area which serves food and breakfast but other than the bar we ate out and used the local 7 eleven for coffee and pastries, but the food looked a smelt wonderful.

We would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Standard rooms look inwards on each other with no real view, but harbour rooms are available at a pr...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Being over 100 years old, the Diplomat does not have the biggest rooms for business travellers but they are well organised and very comfortable. My bed was very comfortable and I enjoyed the bathroom being a couple of stairs up from the living area. Unlike the last reviewer, I found the breakfast to be plentiful and exciting. I especially enjoyed the fresh fruit juice "shots". You won't find a la carte omelette chefs standing by in Scandinavian hotels for this price like you might find in the States but it was more than satisfactory.

The staff were all friendly and professional and I especially enjoyed some banter with the bar server who served me modestly priced Samuel Adams on tab. A delightful surprise after a hectic day of sales calls. It's always nice to come to an old fashioned hotel that isn't drowning in old fashioned conceit and rigidness.

I will definitely stay here for all my future stays in Stockholm, if they will have me.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 16, 2012

The building itself it lovely, the communal interior in the hotel is lovely, the small as you walk in is fantastic and the staff were incredibly friendly, lovely and helpful. However, the rooms were hugely disappointing. The room itself was outdated, they didn't have coffee and water amenities, the mini bar was overpriced and the decor was retro. It had a very disappointing 'hotel' feel.
I was further really disappointed with breakfast. It was a very average, small and bland buffet. Cold meats, small selection of pastries, cereals and yogurts and eggs. A fraction of the size of other local breakfast buffets and diasappointing quality (cheap cereal) and attention to detail - nothing about it had a special touch to it at all. The dining room has a nice atmosphere though. I was further flattened that breakfast was not included in the room cost and an additional overpriced charge was taken.
It should be a fantastic hotel, but it's not unfortunately

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank kate p
Sandra S, General Manager at Hotel Diplomat, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Dear Kate,

Thank you very much for your feedback. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed the communal interior of the hotel and also that you felt welcomed by our staff however I am sad to hear that you did not find the standard of our rooms to your satisfaction. I am aware that some of our rooms are somewhat more “retro” looking than others however this is something we are gradually changing. In regards to your feedback on our breakfast I must say that I am surprised as this is one of the areas that our guests in general are most satisfied with.

I want to thank you again for your feedback as this is a necessity for us to better be able to identify the areas that our guests feel might need improving. I do hope that you will give us a chance to make a better second impression on you in the future.
Best Regards,