“I would stay here again!”
Review of Hotel Diplomat

Hotel Diplomat
Ranked #12 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
Reviewed March 24, 2012

Wonderful location and many rooms have balconies. A lovely older hotel that is well kept up, great location, and a nice restaurant & bar inside. This location cannot be beat and the staff is very nice. I give it 4 rather than 5 because we happened to be there when it was quite hot and the room was so hot with no air conditioning, but I understand this is common in Scandinavia. The staff was able to give us a small fan which helped.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony if that is important to you.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Diplomat

Reviewed March 1, 2012

Stayed at The Diplomat for the 2nd time - again location location location - ideal for a short stay in Stockholm - walking distance to all main sights, Palace, Gamle Stan, Vasa Museum, Opera - staff very helpful and welcoming. Breakfast excellent - Will if possible always stay in The Diplomat Hotel when visiting Stockholm (if I am lucky enough)

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Perpetua_9
Reviewed February 10, 2012

We had a couple of nights in Stockholm and stayed at the Diplomat. The staff couldn't have been more helpful, polite or welcoming. Nothing was too much trouble. The hotel is an excellent location for visiting the Old Town. The T-Bar for breakfast offered superb views across the water and the breakfast buffet was excellent. Our room was quite small compared to others we have stayed in recently but was clean and pleasant. The hotel is beautifully decorated and currently has a Terry O'Neill Portrait Exhibition at the moment which is well worth a wander through (He's a photographer i'd never heard of before!!)
If you fancy treating yourselves try whilst in Stockholm try the Opera Bar and Berns for food (take plenty of money!!).

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BuffyFamily
Reviewed February 9, 2012

Stayed recently for 2 nights at the Diplomat Hotel, fantastic view in the middle of the city. Good food and special old furniture? Very nice and polite staff.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 28, 2012

I stayed here for a few days and was very impressed. The front desk staff were amazing and very helpful (albeit one who seemed to always be in a bad mood, but the rest overshadowed her attitude especially the red headed female one... wish I had gotten her name to recommend)!

Rooms were perfect. The one I had came with a balcony (great views even if it was to the inside courtyard of the hotel), sitting area, interesting bathroom, and a very comfortable bed. Can't tell you how nice the beds were! Slept like a baby! The bathroom was interesting though. I had a bathtub/shower combo and the front of the tub had wood on it covering the bottom of the tub or insides. Well, the wood was falling off so I can see the bottom of the tub that you arent suppose to see. Not a show stopper, but was a little surprising. In all, the bathroom was very outdated compared to the rest of the room and was out of place. Again, everything worked so no complaints.

Internet was decent but no real issues at all.

The restaurant was good for dinner, but I only ate their once. The breakfast was outstanding! Fresh fruit (i.e. cut grapefruit, banannas, apples, fruit coctail NOT from a can, etc.), lots of wonderful breads (croissants, rolls, pastries/danishes), freshly sqeezed orange juice and other fresh juice shots (i.e. mange/orange, strawberry, etc.) cereals, yogurts, milk, coffee, etc. Definitely worth having this included in your room rate if possible!

Location of hotel was excellent. It was right in between old town and the newer area where shopping centers are as well as nearby to all the museums, waterfront area and other sites. Definitely a big plus! We didn't need to rent a car at all from where this hotel was located.

Only main issue with this hotel is the elevator. It's a very old fashioned elevator that really is a site to see until you are locked into it and have the door get stuck and then go traveling to other floors. It didn't happen all the time, but often enough where you had to decide whether to make the trek or not. No danger issues with this, just more tedious than anything.

So I definitely recommend staying here. Great hotel!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank montgod
Reviewed January 27, 2012

Hotel Diplomat has a fantastic location. Nowadays it seems to be THE strongest selling point for the hotel. The lobby is nice and so is the restaurant. The room, Grand lit - type I think, was ok, the overall feeling was worn out - scratches, stains etc in walls, lamps.
My biggest complain is the staff. Very nice, polite, good looking, but lacking any real interest to help you. I had this same feeling in other places in Stockholm too, shops , cafes.
The attitude is "don`t bother me with anything which is not directly my task or which requires ANY effort". (like the boy emptying tables in the Diplomat`s breakfast room: not being able to pick up mashed piece of bread from the table, the dirty dishes were his task you see. Or phoned the frontdesk for the TEAmaking facilities to the room, received by maid a watercooker, no tea, no cups etc. Had to ask her to bring them - no interest if this is what you wanted or do you need anything else.
Or should I continue... The three salespersons in a Åhlens were a trousers buttonholes were very tight - managed to open one pair myself and try it on, but later asked help for another pair - three salespersons behind the counter "I`m terribly sorry, we cannot open it."

Maybe a new slogan is required for Stockholm marketing; no longer "The capital of scandinavia" but "Stockholm - it sure looks good and that`s all there is!"

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DolderScandinavia
Reviewed January 24, 2012

This is my favourite hotel and whenever I am in Stockholm and unable to stay at this hotel. I also make an effort to walk past and admire the architecture of the building and often pop in to see and taste the amazing food and wine that they serve in the T-Bar. In my line of business inspiration is key and getting inspired in Stockholm you don't have to go far, in fact staying at the Diplomat you only have to walk around the hotel or peer out of your window to get inspired. The rooms are very comfortable, although my last trip I was staying in a single room and I didn't sleep all that well. However during my other stays at this hotel I have slept very well, although this time I did have something on my mind, which would probably explain the reason for me not sleeping too well. The bathroom in the rooms are very well decorated and kitted out. The hotel restaurant - T-Bar is a very popular place to meet and on the Friday I was there the place was heaving with the locals popping in for a chat about the week, whilst others had there heads buried in paperwork. Eating in the T-Bar will blow your mind with the quality, the layout of the meal and the selection of wine... Wonderful!
Truly wonderful food. Breakfast is very much a continetial breakfast style. One thing I do like about the Diplomat is the number of staff they have there. There is always someone to hand and especially at breakfast times people dashing in and out of the kitchen and very rare does something run out, such as tea or coffee. It's location is wonderful on the water front. It's also lovely location if you just want to pop out in an evening and have a walk or a breath of fresh air. It's about a twenty-minute walk from the train station and a good five minute walk from the nearest Metro station. That said, I can't fault this hotel, even after I had sat down at a table in the T-bar with my lap top to work and was kindly asked to remove myself because that table was taken this despite the part I was in being totally empty and the fact I'd ordered a cup of coffee and was going to be ordering some food later. That did irrate me a little, but one person cannot put me off this wonderful hotel. I look forward to my next visit. Thank you Hotel Diplomat for always making my stay at your hotel a wonderful one.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business