“What a pitty for such a nice hotel that the service level is so poor”
Review of Victory Hotel

Victory Hotel
Ranked #10 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
Reviewed August 9, 2011

I reviewed this hotel after our visit in February 2010, we went back in February 2011 since we really enjoyed it the first time. Me and my husband wanted to celebrate our anniversaries in this hotel. Unfortunately the service-level of the staff at the front desk brings the rating down of this, otherwise, lovely hotel. I'll give you two examples but have more and we were only there for ONE night!

Service (or lack of it):
1. In the message box of the reservation I kindly asked if we could please check out one or two hours later than usual since we had the room as a way to celebrate both our anniversary and our birthdays (incredible enough its true). This little message hadn't been read at all and at the day of departure I kindly asked if we could check out a bit later and was met by the receptionist with a ok maybe half an hour or so. The housemaid however hadn't even been notified of this half an hour and nocked on our door. We then checked out and didn't bother with the whole thing. There's obviously something very wrong with the "service-feeling" at this hotel.

2. In the evening we wanted to have a bottle of wine from the minibar and saw that someone had opened the bottle, probably tasted it, and then put it back in the fridge again! We told the receptionist this and asked her to provide us with a new bottle. She came up quickly and then told us we could keep the other one, free of charge!!!! Oh my... Why on earth would we want to drink wine that someone had been sipping on (or doing god knows what with...). Are we cheap or what! I was totally astonished.

Room: We had a deluxe room (Captains deluxe room) this time and although it was bigger, with big windows, crystal chandelier, it wasn't as cozy as the smaller we had the year before. The upside with this room was the CD-player (B&O) and the big bathroom with a statue over the jacuzzi. We liked that. We also had slippers and bathrobes. But I still think I would chose the smaller one if we would stay again, or another room. I also promised my husband to mention that the beds are rock hard. Me I felt that it was chilly, and think that I thought so the last time also (ok it's freezing in February).

Breakfast and food: There was no bar or restaurant open. We were there on a Sunday. However we ordered room-service and the food was excellent. I have to say that the best with our stay was the breakfast. The staff there were the opposite of the staff at the hotel. Attentive, professional, kind and experienced. You just get a feeling that hey know what they're doing and that they take care of the food and you in the best way. The atmosphere at breakfast was not for children but stylish, sophisticated and high-class. Music playing in the backgrund. Fantastic ambience and decor. Bread and other things they prepared themselves in the restaurant. It was delicious! I could go to that restaurant just for the breakfast.

Summary: The hotel is still nice in old town which I love but the service-level brings the whole experience down. A 4 star hotel should have a better staff. What you lack in experience you can always compensate by being on toes. But these don't make an effort, it's like a 2 star BB. When we were there I think we talked to 3 persons and didn't feel that any of them were right for the job. If you don't know something you can always be honest and say that you will immediately find out. That's a serviceminded attitude! We're not asking for perfection. However the staff in the breakfast-restaurant were perfect and made the whole experience a bit better. The room was ok but I think I prefer the smaller one (but that's just me).

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank jonuSweden
There are newer reviews for Victory Hotel

Reviewed June 30, 2011

Gamla Stan is incredible and staying in this historic location made the trip that much better! Victory Hotel was simply beautiful! It was also authentically small but that's expected. The decor was beautiful in an old world sort of way. But if your in Gamla Stan, you shouldn't want it any other way. Cannot wait to go back. Staying here is a million times more memorable than staying at a chain hotel. Simply loved everything about it.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank MSUmba04
Reviewed June 20, 2011

We did not actually stay in the hotel. I booked an apartment via Cocoon Stockholm and it turned out to be connected to the victory hotel. The apartment was well set up, quite clean and we enjoyed staying there.

Room Tip: :Payment in cash was not convenient.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 8, 2011

If you like intimate settings and being among beautiful collections, then this hotel is for you. We stayed in one of the grand cabins, and it was very spacious and lovely. The breakfast was your standard European fare. And being right in Gamla Stan was the icing on the cake. A very memorable experience.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sleepyplants
Reviewed April 29, 2011

I loved everything about the place - except for the fact that the rooms really are quite small. Hence I've given it four stars rather than five. The fact that the hotel is squirreled away in the old town is no excuse for that - they could easily provide a bit more space for the rooms.

What I did very much like was the individuality of this place. As other reviewers have noted, the hotel and every single room is stuffed full of nautical collectibles, from compasses to paintings to old bottles of rum (sadly empty). As someone who travels a bit and is very bored of 'corporate' chains, I value this very highly - it makes the place that much more interesting and the stay that much more enjoyable.

What I also liked - unlike other reviewers - was the breakfast buffet. Granted, the selection isn't huge, and the room is a bit dark. But it's also cosy, and one of the options at the buffet was fresh raspberry smoothie. Honestly, with that, some good coffee, fresh fruit and cereal, what else do you need?

Add friendly staff and good weather (I was lucky), I had a terrific two nights here.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank traveling-light88
Reviewed January 11, 2011

I live in Stockholm and we wanted to celebrate our anniversary and birthdays at Victory Hotel. We have two small children and therefore wanted to get away to something romantic. I chose Victory Hotel primarily because it's situated in romantic Gamla stan (old town) and I really like the old exclusive feel with antiques.

First of all there was something wrong with the hotels booking system and I got a weekend gourmet stay for half the price (instead of 4800 I got it for 2400). The stay included a double room, breakfast in room, three course dinner in Leijontornet, a glass of champagne, basket with fruit and chocolate, a gift and private access to the sauna and small pool. Even though Victory hotel is not bound (by law) to give me the stay for the lesser price (due to a fault in the booking system) they did. I even got a very nice mail from the hotel owner himself welcoming me and my husband! I really want to thank him by this review.

Secondly I had a very bad cold but could still enjoy and appreciate the stay.

The area:
The best area in Stockholm if you like old, romantic but still in the centre. Also near the metro "gamla stan" Get out of the busiest tourist streets in old town and you will really feel that you've travelled back in time.

The room:
We loved the room! It was romantically small and cozy and very nicely furbished. I can't understand some of the bad reviews concerning the furniture and complaints about the nautical things. On the contrary we found it very tasteful. Especially with some allmoge (very old furniture in painted wood from Sweden) and some pictures that were lighted from inside. We also had bathrobes and slippers and fine toiletries.

The food:
We enjoyed our breakfast in the room, we could choose what we wanted. We liked the small sauna with music. Before our dinner we had a glass of champagne in the bar/restaurant Djuret. I liked the design of the restaurant/bar (more than Leijontornet) and the bartender was very friendly. Leijontornet was somewhat of a disappointment especially that it took forever to have the meal (and we've been to quite a lot of gourmet restaurants before). At that time the restaurant had a star in Guide Michelin which was redrawn some month after our visit. I was not surprised. The meals didn't surprise us as much as we thought they would. It was a memorable evening but not because of the food. But the dining area was interesting and our waiter was really charming.

The lobby and reception:
I found the lobby area to be small but also cozy. The hotel is far better than the staff at the reception. If I was the manager I would look for a more inviting, smiling and serviceminded staff. They lacked something to make the hotel perfect. The hotel owner however, had just that. He was serviceminded and made us feel welcome indeed. He deserves a better front-desk staff.

The extras:
We had a basket full of fruit and very nice chocolate. We also had some dessert wine. And we got a coffee-table book. We had the sauna, with showers and a small pool for an hour. We could choose our music. It was nice.

A totally romantic stay that I really cherish. We will even try to book a room again for our anniversary and birthdays.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jonuSweden
Reviewed December 18, 2010

Visited Stockholm for a long weekend in the heart of midwinter and got a great deal on the hotel. The hotel was fine- great location in the Old Town, breakfast was good without being lavish, room was small (though this wasn't a problem) and had definitely seen better days ie scuffed furniture etc. Without the good deal, I might have been disappointed but the beauty of Stockholm and the location of the hotel made up for any faded glory!
Small gripe- why in this day and age should hotels not be able to provide free wifi?

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo