“Ok, but could be much better.”

Radisson Blu Royal Viking Hotel, Stockholm
Ranked #49 of 158 Hotels in Stockholm
Leyland, United Kingdom
“Ok, but could be much better.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

I stayed 6 nights in the Royal Viking Hotel last week and whilst the comfort of the room was fine, the layout was poor and the attention to detail by the room staff a real let down. Check in was fantastic, quick, easy and the staff were great. Once in my room however, things weren't so good. Directly outside my room was a huge bright street lamp which illuminated the room. The website says there are blackout curtains, but I was never offered one. Over the week this affected my sleep. Most days, things like cups, glasses, shower gel, shampoo weren't replaced and I had to ask for them to be brought to the room. Disappointingly, everything I used in the mini bar wasn't missed, so somebody was taking care of the profit making things, not the things that make a customer happy. Having stayed in the Waterfront in January which was brilliant, the Viking is a much poorer relative.

Room Tip: Try and get a room that doesn't face the bright lights of the main road at the front of the hote...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Klas F, Director of Sales at Radisson Blu Royal Viking Hotel, Stockholm, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear Sutty67,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

We apologize for the disappointing service you received from our room staff. Our team works hard to make sure our guests are comfortable and receive our best service. We appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention.
Did you bring the light-issue to any of our staff members attention? The black out curtains are standards in all hotel rooms and should keep all lights out if wanted.

We hope for another opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Director of Sales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Santa Monica, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

A client reserved a "Business Class" room for me during a recent trip. The room was small and had no closet just four pegs with a few hangers!! There was no drawer space and little room to even set my bag on the luggage stand and open it. The phone did not work and I asked to be moved. The next room had a time closet but the desk lamp didn't work and the desk chair is so low it is useless to work at the desk. The bath room is so small that when sitting on the toilet my knees nearly touch the door, and I am not a tall person. This is not a first rate hotel.

2 Thank LaurieStory
Dear LaurieStory,

Thank you for reaching out and writing your review. We regret to hear about your disappointment in the room you received. Our Business Class rooms are mostly very high apprechiated. Nevertheless, we didn´t meet your expectations and for that we are sorry. We do have other room categories with more drawers, hangers and space for the luggage. Maybe a Superior room should have met your needs better. We also regret to hear that the maintanence not qualified as expected. We will discuss this with our staff to ensure all guest rooms are up to Radisson standards upon check-in.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to us. Prior to your next stay, we welcome you to contact us so we may discuss your accommodations in detail.

Delft, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

Radisson Blu: the brand brings up visions of sleek, modern, state-of-the-art lodgings. The Radisson Blu Royal Viking is a different breed entirely-more dated and quirky than sleek and consistent. To be sure, some things are great about this place-a truly first rate breakfast, a weird and expensive but fun rooftop bar, and a location adjacent to the train station in the heart of town. Rooms are a bit funky-our standard room had a distinctive '90s feel with a boxy tv set and a view of the atrium. Ice-cold showers at the pool-gym discouraged use of those facilities, and service was perfunctory, if competent.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank mklein818
Dear mklein818,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review about your experience when staying with us.

We have different room categories in various styles and you stayed in one of our "Classic" rooms. Other room caregories might be more sleek, modern and state-of-the-art.

Wishing you welcome back to us soon!

Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

Radisson Blu Viking Hotel, Stockholm
Really convenient for a stopover if you need to be near to the station - with both Central Station and the Arlanda Express terminus right around the corner.
This is exactly what I used it for - I had a quick fly-in-do-the-job-fly-out scenario - and it worked perfectly! (if I'd had any time to spend in the city, I would have stayed at the Rival, my favourite Stockholm hotel)
All the usual Radisson service that you'd expect - friendly and efficient staff and everything worked. Fast free WIFI, clean functional room, business centre and associated services (which I didn't use)
The public spaces downstairs atrium, lobby bar, breakfast area, etc. are interesting contemporary design, but once you get into the lift (narrow and a little awkward if you have large baggage) and the room floors then you're back in a building that’s probably been a hotel for many years and variously changed hands-and-brands.
The room (I had a 'standard') was small and definitely belonged to hotel design of several decades ago, although a surface refurbishment had modernised it considerably. It overlooked an office block.
However it was clean, offered all the essentials - minibar, tea & coffee, bath - and everything worked. Beds were comfortable and it served exactly the purpose intended.
The overnight room service was limited - and very tasty but without any presentation style at all!!! Literally a prawn wrap, packets of salt/pepper and a paper napkin!
At 1895 SEK (via booking.com) not a bad price for the convenience and location in the city centre
It's not somewhere I would want to spend any more time than a sleepover ... But I'd recommend it and use it again for similar circumstances …. and I'm sure it's also good for meetings and other short-stay criteria.
Functional and no-fuss!

1 Thank Anne Louise S
Klas F, Director of Sales at Radisson Blu Royal Viking Hotel, Stockholm, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Dear Anne Louise S,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience and give us feedback.

We regret to hear your room service experience did not meet your expectations. We have passed on your comments and concerns to our Food and Beverage department so they may address this with the team and ensure that we deliver outstanding service and presentation.

Hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back even when you visit Stockholm with more time to spend in the city!

Washington, DC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

I intended to stay at the Sheraton, but it was booked solid so travel put me in this hotel. The Radisson Blu Royal Viking has some positives - but some overwhelming negatives that prevent me from suggesting that anyone stay here by choice.

First, the good news:
- The gym is great. Good atmosphere, good equipment, good music. But the hours are too short - any self-respecting hotel gym targeting business travelers has a 24-hour option these days.
- Location. Can't get better than being on top of T-Centralen.

But the bad news:
- My bathroom reeked of untreated sewage from the moment I arrived - the kind of smell you know comes from a malfunctioning pump somewhere in the pipeworks that is enabling hydrogen sulfide gas to bubble up through the grate at the bottom of the shower. No matter what I did the smell would not go away. The area outside the side entrance of the hotel also reeks of untreated sewage - I think there is something wrong with the septic system in the area, but it made my entire visit extremely unpleasant and I would not recommend staying.
- The room also feels extremely dated: worn-out carpeting, linens of color/quality that suggest vintage Eastern European youth hostel, and a bathroom that (besides the smell) is poorly laid out and has no bathtub.
- The service is brisk but not particularly friendly; simple requests (like an on-time wake-up call) are not honored (my wakeup call arrived 15 minutes late).

On the whole, this hotel feels like it is coasting on its location to carry a management team that has lost its drive for excellence. And it stinks - literally.

Room Tip: Ask whether the room smells like sewage or not BEFORE checking in.
3 Thank alphabetsoup2010
Dear alphabetsoup2010 ,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We apologize for the dissatisfaction of your stay. We take the time to listen to your constructive comments so we can continually improve our services.
The gym is an outsorced gym and we will let them know about your satisfaction with them as well as give them your feedback on the opening hours.
In regards of the smell, we are truly sorry for this and will immediatly try to locate the source and solve it.
We hope for another opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Please reach out to any of our employees directly should you have any concerns during or after your next stay.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights in a lovely queen room. The staff were very helpful, and most spoke excellent English. The bar area was very pleasant, and breakfast was very good. Breakfast was busy at peak time, so we ate early, and started the day early. We didn't use the pool or gym, so can't comment. Great location for the train/bus to the airport. Would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RachelF187069
Klas F, Director of Sales at Radisson Blu Royal Viking Hotel, Stockholm, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear RachelF187069,

We are very pleased to read that your stay with us was enjoyable.

Hope to have you back soon with us!

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

I stayed for three nights and really enjoyed the experience. Some others have mentioned that they had bad service at the check-in, etc. I did not have this, on the contrary, the staff were excellent. I arrived early on the Sunday and was offered either a room that was not refurbished or wait until my selected room was ready - I chose to wait and left my luggage with the porter. I am glad I did as the renovated rooms are very nice. Lovely shower, a small "office" and the bedroom. Lovely heated floor in the bath, good internet connections, overall a lovely room.

Breakfast was good, a bit busy sometimes, but a lovely room and the food was good. I didn't eat at the hotel except for breakfast.

Try and get an updated room...

Room Tip: Get a renovated room. I had 811 - very nice...
1 Thank MelbourneDoug
Klas F, Director of Sales at Radisson Blu Royal Viking Hotel, Stockholm, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear MaidenheadDough,

Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your positive experience.
We are very happy to hear that we met your expectations. We look forward to your next stay.

klas F